Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Lessons

Oils and Lotions SME
    "Don't walk across the street to get your ass kicked" is one of my favorite old guy sayings.
    Hokey religions and ancient lubricants are no match for a good Group IV PAO

Owner 360 Performance Shooting

Banned
    I am convinced that I stopped an attempted robbery at the front door of my home several years ago by simply not opening the door.

A stranger showed up at my door around 9 pm saying that he wanted to give me a free Denver Post. This was back when I owned a home and I looked through the front window and he had no newspaper in his hands.

He spent 10 minutes trying to get me to open that door; nothing else was going to do. I finally ended the conversation by telling him I was calling the police. I am aware that there are any number of things I could have done better but it was almost 10 years ago and I’ve learned some since then.

I believe it’s prudent not to open the door to a stranger if for no other reason than I don’t want to hear a pitch for meat or a vacuum cleaner or encyclopedias or magazines or an invitation to your church. By not opening the door for anyone I don’t know I automatically am never faced with a situation where I open the door to a criminal.

If it is a criminal I want every advantage I can have. Why put myself in a position where I have to fight them at the door when I can just not open the door and avoid the fight entirely?

A good thread, and one worth reviewing again.

Banned
    I found this thread because Tamara Keel quoted this post

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    One of my very first murder scenes as a uniformed officer was a guy toes up halfway in/halfway out of his door and in his boxer shorts. Someone had dumped a mag of .25 in him. Evidence indicated he was gut shot, fell down, and they they emptied it into his face. I spent over 3 hours clearing guns to transport to the property room for safe keeping until next of kin could be notified. Eleventy bajillion loaded guns in the house, dead on the door step in his boxers.

I carry around the house, during lawn work, etc. I'm not into stash guns for a variety of reasons.
    And a link on her blog.

It seems like this topic comes up every couple of weeks on some gun forum somewhere. It's usually someone looking for advice on stashing guns around their house "just in case".

Oddly enough the same people who feel the need to stage multiple guns through out their home tell me that I'm paranoid when I suggest it might be simpler to just carry at home. Invariably someone will post "If I felt the need to go armed at home I'd move."

The primary reason I own a Glock19 is because I consider it small enough to conveniently carry at home (YMMV).

I used to do the "go to the door with the gun in my hand" thing. The incident I posted above was the last time I ever did that. If someone knocks on my door now I don't even get up from the couch. I ask who it is and if I don't know you I tell you to leave without ever getting near the (barred) door. And when I post that I invariably get at least "I refuse to hide behind my door in fear." response.

Nothing beats not shaving for a week and greeting the bible toters at the door with a firearm and a snarling dog. (I kid.)

I carry in the home often but usually because I'm too lazy to change out of the day's attire into sweats. But even so, there may or may not be something or other in a couple of strategic spots known only to the missus, the pooch and myself. And my sweats have pockets.
    Last edited by blues; 05-12-2017 at 07:37 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Back in the days when I put signs on my house, I had one for the various religious hucksters - it read: "NO SOLICITING IN THE NAME OF GOD." If a person persisted, I handed them a note (through the mail slot) that said: "Jesus loves you - everyone else thinks you're an asshole." I never talked to them and I NEVER opened the door. I'm no longer the smart ass, no more signs as they seem to inspire rather than deter. Having said that, right now I'm in my recliner, a Cryo-Max cold pack on one knee, heating pads on both shoulders (had a real good day at Gold's) - but most importantly - my H&K P30SK is AIWB (10+1/Federal HST 147 grain), with a spare mag at 11:00, my Griptilian in my rf pocket (sweat pants) and my polytac in my lf pocket. The pistol and mag carrier are on a Wilderness Instructor's belt. I'm so equipped whether I'm taking the garbage out, closing my garage for the night - you name it. This is EVERY night, 7 days a week. It's who I am.
    Last edited by 11B10; 05-12-2017 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    Back in the days when I put signs on my house, I had one for the various religious hucksters - it read: "NO SOLICITING IN THE NAME OF GOD." If a person persisted, I handed them a note (through the mail slot) that said: "Jesus loves you - everyone else thinks you're an asshole." I never talked to them and I NEVER opened the door. I'm no longer the smart ass, no more signs as they seem to inspire rather than deter. Having said that, right now I'm in my recliner, a Cryo-Max cold pack on one knee, heating pads on both shoulders (had a real good day at Gold's) - but most importantly - my H&K P30SK is AIWB (10+1/Federal HST 147 grain), with a spare mag at 11:00, my Griptilian in my rf pocket (sweat pants) and my polytac in my lf pocket. The pistol and mag carrier are on a Wilderness Instructor's belt. I'm so equipped whether I'm taking the garbage out, closing my garage for the night - you name it. This is EVERY night, 7 days a week. It's who I am.
    Makes sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    Back in the days when I put signs on my house, I had one for the various religious hucksters
    At one point I had a bright orange sticker from the coroner's office on my door. I don't recall exactly what it said, but it had something to do with "county coroner...biohazards". I had to take it off the door when the UPS guy nearly shit himself and was going to quit leaving packages.

I don't always carry in the house, but I do keep a pistol nearby. 99.9% of "home invasions" are drug related, but there was one of the 0.1% locally. Four dudes hit a jewelry store but an off duty cop saw them enter and called 911. The getaway driver panicked and got away. One ran and entered a house, then forced the family to drive him south to his hood where he got out and ran.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

If you have the right kind of non-vegan dog then the smarter door-knockers will hold the storm door closed for you.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Last Fall I was in my yard blowing leaves. I had earbuds in under my hearing protection. I turned in the natural course of doing what I was doing and I just about jumped out of my skin. Two guys were standing about 10 yards away trying to get my attention. I immediately shut down the leaf blower and asked them what they wanted. Prior to spotting them I was somewhere between Condition White & Yellow. White -> Yellow because my guard was completely down however since I had a concealed pistol and a straight blade I wasn't unarmed.

Lets just say they were not the type of individuals I expected to find standing in my yard. They both were wearing the same polo shirt with company logos and ID's on lanyards around their necks. They were selling roofing and selling it high pressure. One guy did all the talking. The other said hello but nothing more. Perhaps learning the ropes? Fortunately for them and me they stayed together. Had they spread apart I would have gone from a solid Orange to a burning hot Red. It took me a good amount of time to get rid of them. I fell into their hard sell trap by trying to be nice. I should have never engaged them in conversation. I should have just been blunt, "I'm not interested please get off my property".

Any regret or uncertainty about carrying at home and never needing it instantly faded away. That moment in time instantly defined why I do what I do. Having it was there was priceless.
    Last edited by JohnO; 05-13-2017 at 08:19 AM.

User Tag List