Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lessons

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    What is the goal you are seeking to accomplish by going outside?
    Thank you. Best answer to my question was this question.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I spent over 3 hours clearing guns to transport to the property room for safe keeping until next of kin could be notified. Eleventy bajillion loaded guns in the house, dead on the door step in his boxers.
    How did you even know all those loaded guns were stashed? How did you know where to look or when you found them all?

What is the goal you are seeking to accomplish by going outside?
    Exactly. Last Sunday, my wife went to bed, dogs were apparently off duty as they did not wake up. I was getting ready for bed when a helo flew low over the house and began orbiting the area. Wife and dogs did not awake. I grabbed a pistol. Even with light off my house is light enough for me to navigate, so I snuck into the living room where I could see two SO cars just down the street. No exterior lights had been tripped, but as I checked that the doors were secure I turned on all exterior lighting. Then what did I do? Nothing, except watching the cops out front and waiting for it all to end. I'm not going to lie, it sucked just like it has every other time some version of this has played out in my hood, but I don't get paid to hunt BGs in the dark anymore. Had I gone outside I could have walked blindly into the guy they were hunting, or one of the several deputies I didn't see until later. Not a good day out.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Site Supporter
    At the NTI, we had to clear a house (you had to - couldn't stay out). My partner came out when time was called and said: "Glenn, I shot my son". He was hiding behind the shower curtain and when discovered - Bang!

The most fun was clearing a house with a coach gun and you were wearing a smock to pretend you were naked out of bed. You had the gun and a box of shot gun shells. Mixed bird and slugs. That was exciting with multiple bad guys. You were supposed to discern slug or bird by feel and choose according to distance. I ended up just throwing in rounds and shooting whatever. Then surprised by a bad guy dummy, I just butt stroked him with the shotgun.

So much for those who say that a double barrel is fun to use under stress, in the dark, naked.

Leaving guns all over the house is far, far more likely to lead to well armed burglars after they break in when you are not home than to protect the people living in the house.

Sometimes the bad guys are aware of the "homeowner in a bathrobe coming out with a gun to check things out" and plan accordingly. Locally we had a crew that wasn't above putting a dude with a shotgun onto a low roof to cover them if the homeowner came outside after them.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nycnoob View Post
    How did you even know all those loaded guns were stashed? How did you know where to look or when you found them all?
    They weren't hidden for the most part. There were loaded handguns laying on tables, loaded long guns propped in corners, etc. Dozens of loaded long guns in the closet, drawers with multiple loaded handguns, etc. There were a few fastened to the undersides of end tables, stools, etc.

I would not swear we found them all.

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    I'd say that 90% of our coppers don't ever carry off duty, most don't own their own guns, and think you must be a "tackleberry" if you carry or train. The most common excuse is, " I never needed one before I became a cop, so why would I need one now?" Or "If you're smart, you won't ever need a gun".
    Has that always been the case , or is this attitude something that developed over the years?

I became a police officer in 1984 and was a firearms instructor for over 20 years. Don't know about percentages but that general attitude was prevalent then and I did not see much change over the years.
    Last edited by Range1; 04-11-2016 at 06:50 AM. Reason: can't spell

Quote Originally Posted by CADFather View Post
    I've been on this site for a few days now basically just reading posts and getting a feel for the folks here, Mr. McKinley got complacent and wandered into a situation he was not prepared for, I didn't know him but he could have benefited from reading some of the basics I've seen on this forum. I'm a Corrections Sergeant with GDOC and have stressed to my officers to not become complacent when dealing with inmates, those 2 bad actors express that point as they are inmates that just haven't been caught, yet. Prayers out to Mr. McKinleys family and to those looking for the two.

CAD
    Welcome aboard!
    #RESIST

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    There was a shooting just 2 floors down in my apartment complex a few weeks ago (didn't recognize it was a shooting at the time) and I saw, as you might imagine, quite a bit of suspicious activity outside. Grabbed a few extra mags to throw next to my nightstand gun, definitely stayed in my pajamas and never once considered going outside. I have good non-collision insurance coverage and a low, low deductible for a reason.

User Tag List