Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lessons

Site Supporter

Lessons

Check out this story.

http://madworldnews.com/concealed-carry-permit-holder/

Two important lessons from this:

Carry your damn gun.

Don't go looking for a problem without expecting to find it.

I've been on this site for a few days now basically just reading posts and getting a feel for the folks here, Mr. McKinley got complacent and wandered into a situation he was not prepared for, I didn't know him but he could have benefited from reading some of the basics I've seen on this forum. I'm a Corrections Sergeant with GDOC and have stressed to my officers to not become complacent when dealing with inmates, those 2 bad actors express that point as they are inmates that just haven't been caught, yet. Prayers out to Mr. McKinleys family and to those looking for the two.

CAD

I don't answer my door without my gun anymore

Nos pro patria

Yup, bad shit can happen any day, any time. Pants on, gun on for me. Hell, even if he tossed an lcp or snubbie in his jammie pants pocket he could have been a bit better prepared maybe. I'm not trying to armchair this tragic event after the fact. ALWAYS, be prepared, you can never know why the dogs are barking, what that thud was outside, whose knocking at your for, etc.... stay vigilant folks, my thoughts are with the family.
    Last edited by Drew78; 04-05-2016 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Phone auto correct

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Not trying to Monday morning QB at all. Just using the news peg for discussion.

Not something I have ever read on this forum, because I presume people here are smarter than that. But based on things people claim to do or expect to do when hearing a bump in the night..

I'll just say this. There are very few reasons I can think of to go outside of your locked front door to follow up a bump in the night, regardless of whether you're carrying or not.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Very sad to hear, and all too common.

People always think they'll be able to go fetch a gun. If you have time to fetch a gun, better just fetch yo' ass somewhere's else and avoid the problem altogether. I'm astounded in the amount of knowledgeable, skilled people (CHL holders and off-duty LEO) that never seem to have a gun on them when they come to our range. They have an unloaded range pistol in a bag, or an unloaded rifle in a case.

One guy who is LEO came in recently to buy a shotgun to keep in his garage, so's he could fetch it if he needed to, while he was out mowing the yard or working on his car. I said "why don't you just carry a pistol on you all the time and be done with it" - he looked at me like I had two heads. I'm too paranoid I guess.
    Last edited by Clay; 04-05-2016 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    One guy who is LEO came in recently to buy a shotgun to keep in his garage, so's he could fetch it if he needed to, while he was out mowing the yard or working on his car. I said "why don't you just carry a pistol on you all the time and be done with it" - he looked at me like I had two heads. I'm too paranoid I guess.
    You know, I can't even count the number of times someone has told me about stashing a gun in every room of the house "so there's always one within arms reach" but when I recommend just carrying one at home I get that is-there-a-dick-growing-out-of-my-forehead stare. Probably a lot of overlap with people who carry "Israeli."
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    One of my very first murder scenes as a uniformed officer was a guy toes up halfway in/halfway out of his door and in his boxer shorts. Someone had dumped a mag of .25 in him. Evidence indicated he was gut shot, fell down, and they they emptied it into his face. I spent over 3 hours clearing guns to transport to the property room for safe keeping until next of kin could be notified. Eleventy bajillion loaded guns in the house, dead on the door step in his boxers.

I carry around the house, during lawn work, etc. I'm not into stash guns for a variety of reasons.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    I'd say that 90% of our coppers don't ever carry off duty, most don't own their own guns, and think you must be a "tackleberry" if you carry or train. The most common excuse is, " I never needed one before I became a cop, so why would I need one now?" Or "If you're smart, you won't ever need a gun".

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    Not trying to Monday morning QB at all. Just using the news peg for discussion.

Not something I have ever read on this forum, because I presume people here are smarter than that. But based on things people claim to do or expect to do when hearing a bump in the night..

I'll just say this. There are very few reasons I can think of to go outside of your locked front door to follow up a bump in the night, regardless of whether you're carrying or not.
    Agreed. Anything outside my house costs far less to replace than hiring a lawyer to deal with even a clear defensive shooting.

Also agree with comments above about carrying all the time. In general, if I am dressed, I am carrying my gun, unless I am going somewhere that I cannot safely or legally bring the gun. I cannot imagine just leaving guns around the house for kids, visitors, repairmen, etc. to potentially find.
    Last edited by BillSWPA; 04-05-2016 at 10:51 PM.

User Tag List