Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock concealment magwells, any experiencies?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Shallow attempt at rant failed. You, of anyone here, should know mag wells are NOT legal in Pro and CO, the two most Glock friendly USPSA divisions.
    I'm not capable of a true rant on line. One of my many failings. OTOH, I just got back from Todd's service, and though he would be WAY more diplomatic than I am being tonight, he started this forum with certain ideas in mind. Putting a magwell on a glock for concealed carry wasn't one of them. Several units are currently doing just that, but concealing them is pretty far down the list. Regardless, I find the idea of a magwell on a Glock to be fairly humorous, as it's one of the easiest pistols to reload fast. The other really easy to reload fast pistols are Sigs, Beretta's, Smith and Wesson's and HK's. I would include CZ's and 1911's as well, but I have no real CZ experience, and though magwells are ubiquitous on 1911's, I do not think they belong on 1911's destined for concealed carry either. Plus, 1911's without magwells are pretty easy to reload too.

Did I forget any? :-)

Name:  7s2dfdt.jpg
Views: 946
Size:  62.0 KB

A double stack mag well is already somewhat of a funnel.

I always found the Sig 229 .40/.357 so easy to reload due to the tapering magazine bodies. Never used a magwell on a Glock but I do find the grip plugs help, in my experience.

Site Supporter
    Originally Posted by SOUTHNARC
    T&Eing the 19 magwell right now. It's soon to find a home on a Boresight Solutions G17 grip chop. I'll post pics when the project is done. As nice as Clint's 17 magwell is, and as good as it works I have to say that the 19 rendition does it's specific duty probably at least 5 times better. To me it's a must have that simply makes that gun run significantly better. Pinching your hand on reloads? Gone. The perfect extra smidgen of length to make that 19 handle more like a 17 and STILL have a more concealable footprint than it's larger brother? Done. You know how a Commander just hits that perfect sweet spot for a lot of people compared to a full size 1911 for concealment? That's kind of what's happening here. I'm REALLY taken with it.

http://www.lightfighter.net/topic/se...ne-well?page=4
    As someone who pinches the crap out of his paws reloading G19/23 size guns this ^^^ Is interesting even if it's not any faster.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    As someone who pinches the crap out of his paws reloading G19/23 size guns this ^^^ Is interesting even if it's not any faster.
    Using G17 mags solves that problem nicely.

The guys I've seen locally with concealment mag wells on their Glock (Agency, SAI) weren't even close to reaping any benefit from them.

Site Supporter
    I've got 2 Agency arms magwells on a 19 and a 23. And 2 VTAC/ Salient magwells on a 17 and a 22. Since I have experience carrying these pistols with the items in question instead of Internet hate on a product I haven't touched in person- I'll weigh in on the issue.

The agency arms doesn't affect the concealability of the 19 at all. It sticks out past the bottom of the grip maybe a 1/16" of an inch. It helps tighten up my hand placement and keeps my grip nice and high in the gun. Does it speed up your reload if you can't perform one at speed already? No. But, it does help ever so slightly to clean up a less than perfect one. What it is really good at is protecting the magwell/ bottom of the grip. I carry my Glocks through all manner of environments. I have dinged some myself, and seen others that were mangled pretty good, usually from a door frame or concrete wall or floor. To me it's good insurance at hardening a fragile point. The grip enhancement it a nice benefit as well.

The VTAC/Salient has different attributes and detractors. The funnel on it is better than the Agency and does slick up reloads. On the 17/22 I don't get the same grip benefit as I do on the 19/23 because my hands aren't that big (M size gloves). The complaint I have is the hard corners they put on the magwell. I would not use this one concealed, because the hard corners would cause printing in thin shirts. However, I use these on open carried duty pistols while on patrol. Same benefit of protecting the bottom of the grip.

I mainly use these two designs because they work with factory base plates. If you can/want to use extended base plates, then I'd use a full size magwell like a Dawson Precision. Which is exactly what I use on my competition guns with +5 extensions. The take away from the "concealment" magwells is you need to be dialed in already to notice any advantage on your reloads. If you are doing slide lock reloads over 2 seconds, they won't knock off a second of reload time. But if you might get grip improvement regardless of your level of skill.

Oh I forgot the standard PF answer: Ignore everything I just typed, run the gun stock only, not even a $5 grip plug, maybe add a NY+ spring for good measure. Shoot 10,000 rounds of practice ammo, 2,000 rounds of $0.75/round duty ammo. Train only with a recognized national celebrity instructor at least monthly. Then after you can do a sub 4 second FASTest, can you be worthy of comment.
    Last edited by msstate56; 04-06-2016 at 02:13 AM.

Glock concealment magwells, any experiencies?

I recently bought a polymer Glockstore magwell for one of my g19's. I didn't buy it for reloading speed, but for the grip improvement. I was reading how having the extension under your pinky would help to reduce muzzle flip and give faster follow up shots. Well on a 19 I didn't have enough room for my hand. My fingers wouldn't fit between the magwell and trigger guard. I ended up putting it on a g17 and I have to say I love the way it makes the grip feel. I got my fastest time on the plate rack as soon as I put it on. I don't think the added printing from a carry gun's grip would be worth it though.
    Last edited by Appalachained; 04-06-2016 at 07:00 AM.

I run a Sentinel magwell on my duty gun. It helps keep the but of the gun from getting beat up from banging into things.

User Tag List