View Poll Results: What color do you prefer?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Red

41 40.20%
  • Green

59 57.84%
  • Other

2 1.96%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Red vs Green Fiber Optic Front Sights

Anybody tried the blue?
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Anybody tried the blue?
    To quote myself in post #10, "doesn't work worth a shit."
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Red or green, don't seem to notice a difference.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    I'm currently using the red fiber in the Warren/Sevigny sights on my competition gun. Green is brighter, but the red contrasts better for me against a wider range of backgrounds. Did better last Saturday when the match ran after sundown, too. Saw the green fibers on other guns were much harder to see at that point. Hopeton, how was your class? Looked like an enthusiastic group.

I like red a lot better.

This is subjective, but regardless of the classical 'human eye sees green the best', red is the most attractive to my eyes and mind, and stands out better to me than green. It may be that the mental aspect of noticing is a more operative factor than the physical aspect of brightness.

When I've tried green (not very extensively), it functioned like a crappy white for me. Like a white dot on a front sight that got dirty/dingy, and had lost some of its brightness, so to speak. I came away thinking that if I were going to use green, I'd rather have white instead (so I would just go back to Ameriglo Operators or something with a white dot or ring in the front.)

I also think that red has an environmental contrast advantage over green in a lot of situations. In my world, there is a lot more green and greenish stuff (mostly vegetation) than red and reddish stuff. I hear it's the reverse on some kinds of berms that are orangish or reddish.

The preference between red and green does seem highly subjective, and there are plenty of people on both sides. I'd go with what you like and not give it another thought.

---

Now that I got that written, I have been wanting to re-try a red/orange high visibility night sight. The no-cost solution for me is to stick Ameriglo Operators back on one of my guns and paint the white ring around the front tritium florescent red. I think I'd like to look at a low-light sight visibility comparison between red FO, green FO, standard Operators with the white ring in the front, and Operators with the white ring painted florescent red. I think I need to take a very specific look at how the green FO functions compared to a high visibility front night sight just above the level of darkness where tritium becomes visible.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    Now that I got that written, I have been wanting to re-try a red/orange high visibility night sight. The no-cost solution for me is to stick Ameriglo Operators back on one of my guns and paint the white ring around the front tritium florescent red. I think I'd like to look at a low-light sight visibility comparison between red FO, green FO, standard Operators with the white ring in the front, and Operators with the white ring painted florescent red. I think I need to take a very specific look at how the green FO functions compared to a high visibility front night sight just above the level of darkness where tritium becomes visible.
    This part interests me as I was just thinking this as I was reading through this thread this morning. Interested to see what you find.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    This part interests me as I was just thinking this as I was reading through this thread this morning. Interested to see what you find.
    I don't know how fast I am going to get around to it, but I do want to try.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Mr_White, what you've said exactly matches what I've had in my head before starting the thread, based on personal thoughts and playing around with the sights/fibers alone (haven't installed yet).

I've only used red so far in my Proctor Y-Notch sights. Have a set of TTI's on the way though, may give the green a shot for the next match and see how I like them.
    Jeff Martin
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    I don't know how fast I am going to get around to it, but I do want to try.
    I know none of this is new to you but my experience my help others.

Not exactly what you are thinking about but I ran black Defoor rears with an Ameriglo .125 night front all of last year. I like this set up a lot. The white front pops really well and is easy to pick up. It also stands out against different backgrounds really well.

The only thing I don't like about the tritium front is its a little wider than most fibers. The Taran Tactical sights are my all time favorite sights. The ratio between the front and rear is perfect for my eyes. The rear notch is nice and deep and I like that too. I also like the higher profile compared to the Defoors. I would sure like to see Taran make them for M&P's.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

User Tag List