Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Comic Books

Everybody needs to read Neil Gaiman's Sandman, all of it, at least once in their lifetime.

I've been heavy into Judge Dredd recently. I realized I could order from Amazon UK and have stuff shipped to the States. The character has been around for about 40 years and has been through 40 years of continuity. Unlike other comic characters, he has aged in real-time and has been through 40 years of changes. Definitely not the stereotype most people have of this character.

I also enjoy Eric Powell's The Goon

Mike Mignola's Hellboy (and the rest of the Mignolaverse)

Daredevil: Born Again (written by Frank Miller),

100 Bullets

Preacher

Top Ten (Alan Moore does Hill Street Blues in a world where everyone has super powers)

Ed Brubaker's run on Daredevil and Captain America are great too.

There are a lot of good books out there. I've been reading comics for 25 years now and the past 15 years have seen some of the best writing in the medium yet.

Just updating as I read.

Red Wolf #3 and #4 - Meh. I'm done with this series, too slow and boring so far. My hunt for a decent western continues. To that end, I've just ordered the first compilation volume of East of West and added it to my subscription list. I've read a lot of good things about it, so I decided to give it a try.

Hellboy and the B.R.P.D. continues to deliver, decided to add B.R.P.D. in Hell to my subscription list. FYI - For the Browncoat and Hellboy fans. The Dark Horse Free Comic Day comic is a Serenity/Hellboy mashup. I've already put it on my list for my comic shop to pull me a copy.

An impulse grab is Gwenpool, just out in issue #1, previous appearances in Howard the Duck. It's great! Really enjoyed it! I recommend it! I immediately added Gwenpool to my subscription list.

Planetary is probably my favorite series and is widely regarded as one of the best ever: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planetary_(comics)

Edited to add: currently reading Injection, Saga, East of West, and not much else. Not too fond of most of the post-Secret Wars Marvel stuff.
    Last edited by dookie1481; 04-27-2016 at 09:25 AM.
    "I think we ought always to entertain our opinions with some measure of doubt. I shouldn't wish people dogmatically to believe any philosophy, not even mine." - Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Fraction / Aja Hawkeye v4.
    One of the best runs ever, IMO.
    "I think we ought always to entertain our opinions with some measure of doubt. I shouldn't wish people dogmatically to believe any philosophy, not even mine." - Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    I revisit Watchmen from time to time - definitely a classic. Made Time Magazine's list of All-TIME 100 Novels.

Batman: Year One is another favorite.

If you ever run across a copy, I really enjoyed Black Widow: Homecoming. Best take on the character yet - but probably too violent to be adapted for a MCU film. Written by Richard K. Morgan (who wrote Altered Carbon if ultra-violent, hard core sci-fi is your thing). It's out of print now but still available digitally through Marvel Unlimited (but not Comixology).

FYI there is an Altered Carbon series set for Netflix.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    I've been reading 'Sex', which is basically about what would happen if Bruce Wayne actually retired, without using the characters from 'Batman'. Ignore the sensationalism of the title and content summary; it's no more explicit than 'Game of Thrones', and is quite well written, in my opinion.

I'm also working my way through 'Preacher', which is excellent thus far. I gave up on 'The Activity': no where near as grounded as 'Black Powder, Red Earth', and I had a hard time following what was going on in many cases.

Thanks to all of you here, I have (literally) dozens of other things to work through.

Quote Originally Posted by dookie1481 View Post
    Get out. Hopefully they don't muck it up.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by dookie1481 View Post
    I'm speechless.

That's a really challenging endeavor. I wish them well, but man, that's a hard story to adapt. So much of the story takes place in Kovacs' head. Not to mention the fact that as the series progresses you'll need multiple actors to play him as he is resleeved (though if done well, could really be something that sets the series apart). Still, I'm glad someone is trying this vice rebooting the next superhero franchise.
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 04-27-2016 at 09:00 PM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    I've been reading 'Sex', which is basically about what would happen if Bruce Wayne actually retired, without using the characters from 'Batman'. Ignore the sensationalism of the title and content summary; it's no more explicit than 'Game of Thrones', and is quite well written, in my opinion.

I'm also working my way through 'Preacher', which is excellent thus far. I gave up on 'The Activity': no where near as grounded as 'Black Powder, Red Earth', and I had a hard time following what was going on in many cases.

Thanks to all of you here, I have (literally) dozens of other things to work through.

Get out. Hopefully they don't muck it up.
    Let us know when you get to a section of Preacher that shocks you!
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    I'm enjoying this.

Name:  Screenshot_20160506-134245.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  38.0 KB
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

User Tag List