Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need advice for a new range/target pistol

Need advice for a new range/target pistol

Help me out here guys,
    I am looking for a high tier target pistol in 9mm. My first thought was something along the lines of the CZ Tactical Sport Orange or in that price range. I also am certainly not opposed to a 9mm 1911, maybe even a double stack 1911 (I do have small hands however). I have a 75BD and love it, save the trigger, and a Kimber Custom II, also loved, save the price of .45. I understand the CZ is geared more towards competition and I do not compete, however I may want to in the future. I'm looking for a 9mm that is "just a joy to shoot," manages recoil, crisp trigger, accurate, and comfortable (I love the grip of cz 75s, hk p30 and vp9, 1911...), and maybe handfitted? Sorry if that's too vague. Help me out please!

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    First you have to answer: what competition? What division? The best gun will be decided largely by the answer to the former. USPSA Production - a glock 34 or 17 are hard to beat. IDPA CDP - M&P45 or a nice 1911 is the way I would go there. Limited - STI 2011s in .40 are popular, as are tanfoglios, CZs and even glocks.

So, pick a competition/division first, then go from there.

I'm now realizing that I didn't word my question very well. Forget about competition, for now it will only be for punching holes in paper at the local range. But I do like the qualities of a competition gun, thats more along the lines of what I meant. Thanks for the speedy response though!

Site Supporter
    If you can shoot a CZ-75's double action trigger without feeling like you've dislocated your trigger finger to touch the trigger then you don't have small hands.

Honestly, I'd say the CZ is probably about the best you can do for a production gun and you'll be hard pressed to find a gun that handles recoil better or can be set up with a better trigger. I'd look at getting the trigger worked over and then reevaluate your feelings on the CZ. Probably cheaper than a whole new gat. Though I tend to prefer the Beretta because trying to run the DA trigger on the CZ-75 makes me realize that Czech people must have index fingers the size of hot dogs.

For single stack, your Kimber will probably be fine so long as it runs well. Ammo cost of .45 is just one of those things you deal with when you shoot .45

Honestly, unless you're just looking to buy a new gat, either of those guns should be perfectly fine to get you to a very high level of shooting skill. I'd also think about competing. I started and my desire for shiny new guns was diminished somewhat because chasing shooting performance is more fun. Nice guns are nice, but I tend to think nice shooting is nicer.

TL;DR if you're looking for a quality handgun...you already have one and you're set for pretty much whatever competition. Go do that and if you still want a gun, you'll have a better idea what features you want.

Quote Originally Posted by smellslikevictory View Post
    Help me out here guys,
    I am looking for a high tier target pistol in 9mm. My first thought was something along the lines of the CZ Tactical Sport Orange or in that price range. I also am certainly not opposed to a 9mm 1911, maybe even a double stack 1911 (I do have small hands however). I have a 75BD and love it, save the trigger, and a Kimber Custom II, also loved, save the price of .45. I understand the CZ is geared more towards competition and I do not compete, however I may want to in the future. I'm looking for a 9mm that is "just a joy to shoot," manages recoil, crisp trigger, accurate, and comfortable (I love the grip of cz 75s, hk p30 and vp9, 1911...), and maybe handfitted? Sorry if that's too vague. Help me out please!
    Sounds like you're describing a Wilson Beretta 92. Superb trigger on an already accurate gun made more so. No need to fire it DA unless you want to.

I'm just looking to buy a new gat. The CZ was my first and I'd like to leave it untouched. The Kimber was a gift. Also would like it untouched. I sleep with an FNX and not going to mess with that workhorse either so I just want a new, sweet shooting range gun...and already planning on getting the Kadet for the CZ. Thanks for the input however!

oh my. ok off to the store to hold a Beretta again.

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lomshek View Post
    Sounds like you're describing a Wilson Beretta 92. Superb trigger on an already accurate gun made more so. No need to fire it DA unless you want to.
    I second this. Although, the DA is smooth as butter, so I don't see why you wouldn't shoot it.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Vending Machine Operator
    If you're willing to spend that kind of money, I'd third a Wilson Beretta. Finally got to handle one in person and I can't imagine regretting that. (disclaimer: note my signature line)
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Tanfoglio stock 2 with a trigger job by Jim Bodkin. There's a reason CZ's, tanfoglios, and glocks dominate production.

User Tag List