Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Pistols: Capital assets or consumable goods?

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    That said, training classes/seminars for folks further up the food chain are almost always in Vegas, or other destination spots, and budget is not really a factor there..
    Naturally. Important stuff always gets fully funded.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    We shoot two qualifications a year.....was down to a 38 round course. There is now a 50 round "warmup" before shooting the qual. So....under 200 rounds a year. There is no training after the academy unless you are in the SOG....SWAT or the Countersniper team. Outside training is now actually discouraged....you used to be able to get "detailed" to training. Basically you were considered on duty and got paid for it. The range would also supply ammo. No more. Unless it is a POST class....they make sure any vendors are 12B compliant.....meaning they provide domestic partners benefits to their employees, or the answer is no, you can't go. You have to take vacation and pay your own way...even the few range guys who actually pursue their own training (3 out of 10). SLG, you have no idea how bad it can get.

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    We shoot two qualifications a year.....SLG, you have no idea how bad it can get.
    One for me...one for my homies.

*Box of 9mm hits the floor.*

We qualify once a year to satisfy POST for Corrections. You fire the 30 round pistol qualification course and if you make it that's all you shoot if you don't they issue another 30 rounds of ammo. If you don't make it then you have to buy your own. So, if you are a decent shot and can qual. fist time you only get the 30 rounds of .38. Only our transfer guys qualify with the semi's, well them and non line personnel (read administrative, upper echelon type). Then we qualify with the rifle and shotgun, basically if you don't shoot the instructor with the shotgun you score a perfect 100. Now I realize that we are corrections and shooting is not something we would normally have to be concerned with but 30 rounds a year doesn't an Annie Oakley make. I get and encourage my officers to get as much range practice as I/they can afford, hell if they'll buy the ammo, I'll provide the revolvers and instruction/training.

Oh and to the original topic, firearms should be a consumable good albeit with a long service life, our .38's are Model 64 GSP trade-ins and I can't remember when the GSP issued .38's.

CAD
    Last edited by CADFather; 04-05-2016 at 03:58 PM.
    The Law is clear-- and has been since the Time of Nero... "nemo gladius occidit, sed manu..." It is not the sword that kills, but the hand and mind wielding it" ( Seneca, Philosopher and Senator, ultimately "Terminated" by Nero because he spoke too obviously for Nero's Taste.)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CADFather View Post
    We qualify once a year to satisfy POST for Corrections. You fire the 30 round pistol qualification course and if you make it that's all you shoot if you don't they issue another 30 rounds of ammo. If you don't make it then you have to buy your own. So, if you are a decent shot and can qual. fist time you only get the 30 rounds of .38. Only our transfer guys qualify with the semi's, well them and non line personnel (read administrative, upper echelon type). Then we qualify with the rifle and shotgun, basically if you don't shoot the instructor with the shotgun you score a perfect 100. Now I realize that we are corrections and shooting is not something we would normally have to be concerned with but 30 rounds a year doesn't an Annie Oakley make. I get and encourage my officers to get as much range practice as I/they can afford, hell if they'll buy the ammo, I'll provide the revolvers and instruction/training.

Oh and to the original topic, firearms should be a consumable good albeit with a long service life, our .38's are Model 64 GSP trade-ins and I can't remember when the GSP issued .38's.

CAD
    I have an M&P stamped "Department of Corrections" that was born in 1930. It still works fine, though it could probably benefit from a check over by a smith. I have a British service revolver that was born c1870. It has parts that are so worn, it isn't safe to fire anymore. Stuff wears out, sure, but quality firearms should take a long time.

User Tag List