Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First can decisions

Site Supporter

First can decisions

OK, I have my trust and am now researching 22lr cans.

I *think* I've narrowed it down to the Dead Air Mask and Ruger Silent-SR.

The price, size, weight, and performance seem to be nearly identical. I'm leaning toward Ruger in order to support them in this endeavor. I think this is a case where it's important to show them their investment is a good one. However, if the Mask is significantly better, I'd like to hear why.

Anything else I should consider? Are there any head-to-head tests of the two (I can't find any)?

The host will be a Ruger 22/45 Lite. The can will see lots of use because the pistol and can will be go on every camping and hunting trip I take, as well as forays to family property where shooting guns aren't an issue. My daughter loves shooting the 22/45 and is intrigued by the concept of a suppressor. Needless to say, I expect to run a lot of rounds through this thing.

Chris

My #1 piece of advice to anyone considering any can is to try and hear as many, in person, and on your same make/model of gun(s), as possible.

Dead Air Mask, hands down unless the price difference is an issue. It's out, it's been tested extensively, it's light, it's from a well financed company, and it's small but suppressed with the best. The Ruger is an unknown.
    #RESIST

First can decisions

Hard to go wrong with the Mask, it has a proven track record. However, I have no reason to think the Ruger will be a non-performer. Check NFA Review Channel.
    Last edited by Hansohn Brothers; 04-02-2016 at 10:10 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    My #1 piece of advice to anyone considering any can is to try and hear as many, in person, and on your same make/model of gun(s), as possible.
    I wish that was an option, but I've only known one person who owned one and that was a few years ago (holy crap, I think it was 6+ by now). It was enough to imprint upon me the "gotta have" though.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski

Dead Air Mask, hands down unless the price difference is an issue. It's out, it's been tested extensively, it's light, it's from a well financed company, and it's small but suppressed with the best. The Ruger is an unknown.
    Price of each is roughly the same based on what I've seen online (MSRP and Street). Physical stats are also roughly the same Ruger is also well financed I suspect.

However, your point about the Ruger being an unknown is spot on. The "professional" reviews I've seen say it's good and equivalent to the Mask in terms of overall suppression and low-to-no FRP, but I'd really like to see more "owner" reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Hansohn Brothers

Hard to go wrong with the Mask, it has a proven track record. However, I have no reason to think the Ruger will be a non-performer.
    Yeah, I feel the Mask is the safe choice, but like I said above, I really want to "reward" Ruger for bringing one of their own to the market. I feel the more successful a company like Ruger is with this endeavor, the more successful we'll be as a community in the long run. However, NFA restrictions and such mean I'm likely to be stuck with my purchase (or losing at least $200 if I'm not happy and sell), so I feel like I need to be absolutely certain in my decision. Otherwise, I'd just buy the Ruger and be done with it.

Check NFA Review Channel.
    Been watching and reading reviews all morning.

I'm a month or more out from a purchase, so I have time...

Chris

My useless opinion...take it for what it's worth.

Pretty much all 22 cans are VERY hearing safe. Hansohn, LL and I shot 6 or so 22 cans a few months back and metered them. Mask, Spectre II, TBAC 22-L, Element II, Warlock II and maybe one or two more.

With the exception of the Warlock (the only all aluminum can) they all sounded very similar to me. All were hearing safe with the Warlock being a little louder when shot side by side to any of the others.

Serviceable and SS baffles. That's what I would look for. Quiet will be there no matter what you choose when shooting 22s at subsonic MV. The tones will vary slightly but aren't "bad" in any of them.

We shot the TBAC-22L and we all thought it sounded fantastic. The only downside to it is that it's a sealed can. TBACs new Takedown 22 can IS serviceable and TBAC claims it to be 3-4 decibels QUIETER than the 22-L.

I own a Spectre II already and have a Mask and TBAC Takedown on the way.

It's hard to make a bad choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"The One"

Gemtech

Do it.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

The One from Gemtech is very impressive....

....but thats a heavy-ass 22LR can.

:-)

Could you get a 9mm or 45 can in 1/28 and run it as a .22lr?

Quote Originally Posted by ffhounddog View Post
    Could you get a 9mm or 45 can in 1/28 and run it as a .22lr?
    It would work, but in general is not recommended.
    Taking a break from social media.

User Tag List