Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First can decisions

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    It would work, but in general is not recommended.
    Is it not recommended because it is actually bad for the host or silencer, or not recommended because it doesn't suppress as well and is unnecessarily heavy/bulky,
    or for some other reason?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    In that case, I will reverse myself.

Buy whatever .22 take apart can floats your boat from an ESTABLISHED maker with a HISTORY of making cans.

Personally, neither of your proposed options meet both those criteria for me, but YMMV.
    Isn't Dead Air owned by veterans of the suppressor industry? I'm not sure I'd consider Ruger particularly risky either given their conservative (as in risk-adverse) nature and financing. Neither strike me as a "fly by night" organization.

Not arguing, just not fully clear on the dynamics of the industry and what is considered "risky" vs "safe".

I saw the Dead Air video Saturday morning.

Regarding the SilencerCo Spectre II. That one somehow flew under my radar, but I've added it to my "list". My local dealer can get the Mask for $399 and the Ruger for $369. I need to check on the Spectre II.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Isn't Dead Air owned by veterans of the suppressor industry? I'm not sure I'd consider Ruger particularly risky either given their conservative (as in risk-adverse) nature and financing. Neither strike me as a "fly by night" organization.

Not arguing, just not fully clear on the dynamics of the industry and what is considered "risky" vs "safe".
    I thought it was the previous owner and one of the designers ("lead" designer, depending on who you believe) from Silencerco.

In either case, I don't know how stable "previous" or "veterans" makes for a stable company, and while ruger may be a proven company they aren't a proven silencer maker. Now, have the Dead Air guys go over to Ruger and start working there and we might have something! it's really all just personal comfort level, however.

The good news is that .22 can's aren't rocket surgery, so you're unlikely to go wrong in any event.

Quote Originally Posted by nalesq View Post
    Is it not recommended because it is actually bad for the host or silencer, or not recommended because it doesn't suppress as well and is unnecessarily heavy/bulky,
    or for some other reason?
    In my limited experience, centerfire cans are noticeably louder on .22s than rimfire cans and on most pistols get in the way of the sights where rimfire cans don't. Not being able to easily clean centerfire cans could be an issue if you shoot a lot of .22 through them.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Site Supporter

Update

Ok, so purchase executed and approved by ATF.

I went with the Ruger. All of the youtube videos and articles indicated it was a good can. Also, it was available at my LGS where the Mask wasn't (last April, with 41f looming), so I took a gamble.

I've had it for not quite two weeks and like it. The first couple mags through it were disappointing, what with a noticeable FRP (with doubled hearing protection at an indoor range) and terrible accuracy (3" groups and keyholing at 20'). However, after 30 rounds or so, the groups returned to their normal size and POI. I don't know what was going on with those first two mags, but it hasn't returned. This weekend, Thing 1 and I took it out into the woods and shot sans hearing protection. It sounds nice and works great. FRP was only a touch louder than subsequent shots, low enough that I'm not sure it *was* louder. Thing 1, a 13yo girl, likes it. We shot hi-vel and standard (subsonic) ammo through it. Audibly, they were the same, but Thing 1 noticed more smoke in the hi-vel stuff. The tone was quite pleasing and most of the noise seemed to be the gun's action and the sound of the rounds hitting the leaves around our target (soda can).

We took it to the range again tonight. FRP still low and groups were the size and POI I would expect from this gun.

I have about 200 rounds through it now. While I'm still a bit disconcerted about those first two mags, I'm happy overall. I suspect it'll be a frequent companion on hikes and hunting trips.

Chris

User Tag List