Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Week 158: How Small A Target In Two Seconds?

I tried this yesterday with an orange paster I had in my target bag. I attempted it 5 times and missed it every time, my front sight covered the paster completely. I didn't feel like getting out a slightly larger target, but as an accuracy exercise I liked this drill and will spend more time on it on other range sessions.

Beretta Elite II, OWB

Times:
    1) 1.99 fail
    2) 1.92 fail
    3) 1.89 fail
    4) 2.01 fail
    5) 2.02 fail

I used a P99, IWB holster, fleece vest and soft shell jacket - both unzipped. Range was the specified 6.4 meters. Target used: IDPA

First attempt: -1 area. Easy peasy. Second: -0. No problems there. Next, I tried the head box. Still stayed within the time limit, yanked a few shots though... Aaaand that's when the timer died. Son of a...!

Definitely going to try this again, when I get a chance.
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Site Supporter
    Ran this 9 times today: 3x with the SP2022 9mm, 3x with the 642, and 3x with my older 3913 wearing Hogue rubber grips and a short baseplate magazine. All were from OWB custom leather, under an untucked shirt, at 7 yards. All double action shots, due to the nature of the exercise.

The target in all cases were B8 centers printed on 8.5x11 standard sheets of printer paper. And there were a few rounds that missed the paper.

The first run with the SIG gave me 2.74 (10), 2.3 (10), 2.32 (x). 2nd run was 2.38 (x), 2.6 (9), 1.999 (x). 3rd run was 2.42 (9), 1.94 (8), 1.84 (miss).

642. Run 1: 2.28 (7), 2.08 (miss), 2.34 (7-barely on paper edge). Run 2: 2.339 (7), 2.379 (10), 2.24 (8). Run 3: 2.339 (6-paper edge), 2.379 (9), 2.362 (X).

3913. Run 1: 1.86 (7), 1.93 (8), 2.24 (8-muffed clearing the shirt). Run 2: 1.777 (7), 2.121 (10), 2.241 (10). Run 3: 1.681 (9), 1.7 (7), 1.903 (9). Finally!

Things I noticed: I felt confident that I would get it in the black almost every time with the SIG, unless I muffed the shirt sweep or hurried too much. With the other two, the paper was the target if I wanted to try to beat the par time. I muffed the initial grip on the 642 pretty consistently. I like the Hogue grips I have on this 3913 - don't know if I'd have gotten that last run with all hits running the other one with the factory grip.

I did some draws from concealment today. Not precisely as this drill says (didn't shift immediately to another target after three successful hits), but from 7 yards and with a two second par time - close enough.

I used a Walther P99 with Trijicon HD sights, JMCK IWB holster, and a closed front concealment garment.

The closed front garment made my draw a bit slower, which did not come as a surprise. The fabric of the shirt was also pretty thin, making it easy to fumble clearing the garment out of the way. This in mind, I started from trying to engage the body A-zone of an IPSC Metric target. This turned out to be still an easy goal. Next, I selected as target the part of said A-zone that is above the tip of the letter A. Spent some time engaging this target and being mostly successful.
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Glock 34 in a comp-tac paddle holster no concealment.
    I cleaned the 8" circle fairly comfortably the times were in the 1.50's.
    Then I attempted the 3X5 target I couldn't slow myself down enough 1 hit 2 misses the time was still in the 1.50 range.

Things I noticed- I am still having trouble changing my pace for tougher targets. I will need to find some drills that help me with that.

User Tag List