Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HK P30 or USP9c

HK P30 or USP9c

I'm considering retiring my Browning Hi-Power and getting another 9mm. I currently have a HK USP45c. I'd like opinions on getting a USP9c or a P30. One advantage I see with the USP9c would be that it would be the same platform as the 45. This would allow me to keep using the same platform but choose between calibers.

Any reasons why the P30 would make a better choice in this situation, or would keeping with the USP platform be the better route?

Either would be converted to LEM to match my USP45c configuration.

Thanks.
    --
    Formerly hombre gris
    I am no longer LEO, never .MIL. I am .DAD and my attitude will reflect that.
    Cogito ergo armatus sum -- I think, therefore I am armed

P30 for the customizable grip panels and ergonomics.

We are diminished
    If you're going LEM and don't want/need the thumb safety, the commonality between the USP9c and P30 in terms of function/switches/levers is almost 100%. As LilL recommended, I'd go to the P30 for vastly improved ergonomics.

The only thing to note is that the USP9C will have a shorter reset (~0.15" as opposed to the ~0.24" of a P30).

I have both and the USPc has been in the safe for longer than I can remember. The P30 beats it in every way imaginable IMHO.

My vote would be the commonality in manual of arms. You already have the USPc .45 and the USPc 9mm would be very familiar to you. Also, the sight picture of the USPc is different than the P30, given the lower sight profile over the top of the USPc and it is different enough from the P30/P2000/HK45 to require a little adjustment (for me anyway). When I run my USPc, it takes me a few rounds to adjust to the smaller sight profile. I normally run my P30 pistols for training, range, duty, and competition.

The USPc is a solid choice as well as the P30 and if you want to stay consistent in your weapon choices, the USPc is a good choice. On the other hand, the P30 brings a lot to the table; however, when talking LEM, the USPc has the best LEM setup out of all the current HK models.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Just yesterday I had the chance to use a USP side by side with my P30. I was once again reminded of all the things I didn't like about the USP family of weapons from an ergonomic standpoint. If I owned USPs and I had the opportunity to use the HK45 or the P30 I would without hesitation sell off the USPs and buy the new guns.

The difference in user-friendliness is that significant.

when i picked up my P30 i liked it a lot more than the USP. enough that i've considered selling the USP to buy a HK45. then realized i dont want to get rid of the stainless USP so now i'm just saving for a HK45..

Quote Originally Posted by turbolag23 View Post
    when i picked up my P30 i liked it a lot more than the USP. enough that i've considered selling the USP to buy a HK45. then realized i dont want to get rid of the stainless USP so now i'm just saving for a HK45..
    A word of caution. Although the HK45 resembles the grip of the P30, it is no where near as nice as the P30. I love the P30 grip but could not for the life of me warm up to the HK45 I owned. I later sold the HK45 in favor of the HK45 Compact.

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    A word of caution. Although the HK45 resembles the grip of the P30, it is no where near as nice as the P30. I love the P30 grip but could not for the life of me warm up to the HK45 I owned. I later sold the HK45 in favor of the HK45 Compact.
    thanks for the heads up. the HK45c has the grip similar to the P2000 right? oddly enough thats the only one i've handled in gun stores, they are always out of the full size.

Quote Originally Posted by turbolag23 View Post
    thanks for the heads up. the HK45c has the grip similar to the P2000 right? oddly enough thats the only one i've handled in gun stores, they are always out of the full size.
    Right. Also, the HK45 Compact is the truer rendition of LAV and Hackathorn's design recommendations. I like the HK 45 Compact a lot better than the HK45. The size of the HK45 does not justify a mere increase of 2-rounds (personal opinion).

User Tag List