Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: OSS Suppressor system: baffle-free design

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    OSS is already on "Gen V" after...several set-backs...plus the internal conflict going on in OSS that was mentioned above. I am very surprised the OSS can made the selection, but really don't know if it did or not, do we? Did that scope? Did that mount? Do we know what the import of that picture even is? I saw nothing about an OSS suppressor in the list of contracts awarded that was linked to...
    That picture is the HK CASS submission as submitted per HK at SHOT. - Whether the scope and suppressor are part of the actual contract package or if the contract is for just the rifle is a good question.

Apparently two other manufacturers CASS submissions also used the OSS suppressors. It would make sense to field the rifle with the suppressor it was tested with but this is the Gov't.
    Last edited by HCM; 04-01-2016 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    Then it would probably be a good suppressor for the AUG too.

nyeti, any experience?

You should ask him on the other thread, I think he's more active in that one

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....le-free-design

Last edited by Luke; 04-01-2016 at 03:32 PM.
    i used to wannabe

Moved over relevant posts from the CSASS thread.

So, looking back over this. I was the one who started the thread drift :| and then I complained about thread drifts :|
    i used to wannabe

Then it would probably be a good suppressor for the AUG too.

nyeti, any experience?
    That was my intention. I am just leery now because of the movement at OSS. I have a barrel specifically for an OSS can, but I doubt that will happen now. I have a special gas plug for the AUG to run it suppressed in a standard barrel and I am going to try to get a Surefire adaptor for it.....but this is iffy as well.

I find it almost amusing that a super loud non-hearing safe suppressor that totally sucks was spec'ed on most of the guns for this contract. Really weird that those dumb military snipers don't know how bad they are. My negatives were size and expense and weird looking. As far as function and taking everything away from the shooter, I was very happy.

I have a ton of time with the Surefire stuff......also horrifically loud, and suck (I despise the entire suppressor industry when it comes to drama). I was worried about their viability as well on the business side.

Again.....I have shot both .338 and .50 indoors with these things with no ear pro. The .308 and 5.56 is downright pleasant. They blow almost nothing back into the system, put almost no pressure (which is extensive and potentially dangerous, and puts a bunch of stress on the gun with many systems) on the internals, and I was sold on them even though I initially was turned off due to ..weird.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    I don't know much about AUGs except surface level stuff and that their piston gas system releases a ton of noise. Have you found the special gas plug to solve it?

As a side note, historically the suppressor industry has been like a soap opera for years. It's mostly behaving these days... Compared to what it was.

God Bless,

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    I don't know much about AUGs except surface level stuff and that their piston gas system releases a ton of noise. Have you found the special gas plug to solve it?

As a side note, historically the suppressor industry has been like a soap opera for years. It's mostly behaving these days... Compared to what it was.

God Bless,

Brandon
    They also tend to overwhelm the gas system, which is why I wanted the OSS Tavor can for mine. I have one of two gas plugs in this country that is a factory Steyr Austria part where the Grenade launcher setting (which normally totally shuts the system down) now has a port optimized for the suppressor. Have no idea how good it is, but I believe it is what the JagdCommandos are using with their suppressed guns.
    All I am looking for is something to be able to shoot minus ear pro. The suppresor industry loves getting hung up on the biggest decibel reduction (and I think a bunch of that is some sort of interpretive voodoo on measurement). End users get hung up on ease of use and simple signature reduction.

I was hoping the suppressor industry had mellowed out....likely an impossible dream.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

How does suppression compare to other 5.56 cans?
    I haven't compared the 5.56 model. The 7.62 mm model is louder than any competing product.

Quote Originally Posted by Hansohn Brothers View Post
    I haven't compared the 5.56 model. The 7.62 mm model is louder than any competing product.
    Which 7.62mm model did you use? On their website, OSS has about 20 different models/combinations of BPRs and SRMs that can be used and OSS claims DB data from as loud as 154 dB to as quiet as 134 dB.

Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by jst0915 View Post
    Which 7.62mm model did you use? On their website, OSS has about 20 different models/combinations of BPRs and SRMs that can be used and OSS claims DB data from as loud as 154 dB to as quiet as 134 dB.

Just curious.
    I think it was a gen 4, over the barrel.

I'll try and help out with the OSS questions...like Nyeti said ear safe indoors, as in 6ft conex 338 Lapua factory ammo one handed...recoiled and sound were almost absent.
    The company has had changes, nothing that has impacted their ability to deliver a product.
    CSass had 5 entrants 3 of those included the OSS system, so either everyone likes the octagon or the system has merits.
    Full disclosure I work for OSS, and Nyeti can vouch, I don't throw my reputation behind everyone employer or not...I worked for the folks who bought Blackhawk and refused to sale the SERPA or the Vietcong knock off products to my customers.
    Questions send them I'll answer what I can or get you that answer...
    Chad

User Tag List