Thread: Thread adapters?

Thread adapters?

Did the usual Google search and didn't see a consensus.

My first rifle cans were QD. AAC and Surefire. That's fine for AR and tactical bolt guns. Now wanting to start using cans on my hunting rifles. Both for hearing protection as well as recoil mitigation.

My first direct thread can is currently in jail waiting. It has 5/8 x 24 threads. Even if I wanted to stay with my current
    Surefire, pretty much all of their muzzle devices that are available to purchase currently are also threaded 5/8 x 24.

My current hunting rifles have fairly thin barrels. There's no way to get them threaded to that pitch. I've looked online at several new rifles. There are some 5/8 x24, but most that are available now seem to be more like 1/2 x 28, 1/2 x 20, or metric.

Bad idea to purchase one of those and get a thread adapter to fit my can? I know there is concern for potential baffle strike or end cap strike if things aren't lined up perfectly. Also yet another area, connection to keep tight. I didn't know if that really played out in the real world.

Thanks

I use a thread adaptor to mate my 9mm can to my 7.5" 300BLK pistol upper (subsonics only). Other than the added length, it works well.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Did the usual Google search and didn't see a consensus.

My first rifle cans were QD. AAC and Surefire. That's fine for AR and tactical bolt guns. Now wanting to start using cans on my hunting rifles. Both for hearing protection as well as recoil mitigation.

My first direct thread can is currently in jail waiting. It has 5/8 x 24 threads. Even if I wanted to stay with my current
    Surefire, pretty much all of their muzzle devices that are available to purchase currently are also threaded 5/8 x 24.

My current hunting rifles have fairly thin barrels. There's no way to get them threaded to that pitch. I've looked online at several new rifles. There are some 5/8 x24, but most that are available now seem to be more like 1/2 x 28, 1/2 x 20, or metric.

Bad idea to purchase one of those and get a thread adapter to fit my can? I know there is concern for potential baffle strike or end cap strike if things aren't lined up perfectly. Also yet another area, connection to keep tight. I didn't know if that really played out in the real world.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I use a thread adaptor to mate my 9mm can to my 7.5" 300BLK pistol upper (subsonics only). Other than the added length, it works well.
    I’ve used the Hughes precision that @Clusterfrack linked and they are very well aligned.

I’m using combinations of thread adapters to change barrel length slightly and use different muzzle devices / suppressors and they’re working well.

Due to one of my applications being left handed to right handed threads, loosening is more of an issue so I Rocksett the adapter to the barrel and leave it there.

Some suppressors have the ability to change caps too.

Thanks guys!

Don’t mean to hijack the tread but this is seems like a good place to ask this. Is there a benefit to running a direct thread adaptor instead of a piston and fixed barrel spacer on a subgun? Namely would the absence of the piston and spacer add enough internal volume to be noticeable. Or would the spacer and piston be better for the added rigidity and durability? TIA
    Last edited by 23JAZ; 02-27-2022 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 23JAZ View Post
    Don’t mean to hijack the tread but this is seems like a good place to ask this. Is there a benefit to running a direct thread adaptor instead of a piston and fixed barrel spacer on a subgun? Namely would the absence of the piston and spacer add enough internal volume to be noticeable. Or would the spacer and piston be better for the added rigidity and durability? TIA
    Since nobody answered, I’m happy to share my opinion as not an expert… but someone who owns a Larson Davis LXT and multiple different suppressors with pistons and others that are direct…

The volume of the piston versus not a piston won’t meaningfully change sound. It’s at the beginning of the baffle stack.

The fixed spacer and piston actually adds some ability to rotate a degree (piston tooth slop) or so whereas a direct thread might actually be mounted more rigidly….

Assuming you’re talking about handgun calibers in a non-fully auto sub gun I don’t think it’ll matter at all.

SUPERsonic 300 blackout out of a sub gun I like a direct mount-ish. The rifle cans I own have quick release muzzle adapter / flash hiders but they function like direct threading. I don’t want any wobble or tooth lash at all under repeated and high pressures.

User Tag List