Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: OSS Suppressor system: baffle-free design

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    OSS has been playing a dirty little game with Surefire and now SF is responding in kind.

http://soldiersystems.net/2016/06/22...pressor-video/
    OSS's game was up when all the cans exploded during testing (which was a whole lot less rigorous than one might guess, and could be replicated without any NFA parts...), which led to...you guessed it...Gen 5, to save the day!
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 06-28-2016 at 12:26 AM.

The OSS BPR&SRM 556 are on sale for $500, Helix (update of gen5?) for $600 in.30 or 556.
    https://www.botach.com/oss-operators...ll-auto-rated/
    At this price range are these suppressors a viable option for a first can? The technology is appealing to me

Quote Originally Posted by Burn2shine View Post
    The OSS BPR&SRM 556 are on sale for $500, Helix (update of gen5?) for $600 in.30 or 556.
    At this price range are these suppressors a viable option for a first can? The technology is appealing to me
    I was under the impression that Botach was a pretty shady place to do business.

Quote Originally Posted by Burn2shine View Post
    I'd find a dealer in your state. I wouldn't get the OSS myself, but it's not the worst choice. There's no way in hell that I'd buy a can from Botach.
    #RESIST

Botach does not sell NFA to civilians. Only .gov and LEO agencies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Will see what price a local dealer can give me. OSS only giving this large discount to .gov does make since to get their name and product out to possible large quantity purchasers. Thanks for the information and advise.

What's the current consensus on these suppressors? My context is non-LEO/MIL, general purpose, including home defense. Not SBR.

I know they had some early issues. Blowers mentions that he witnessed similar problems mentioned up thread. (note, video was 2016)

Aaron Cowan did a positive review of their current Helix model

Mrgunsngear had similarly positive things to say.
    David S.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    What's the current consensus on these suppressors? My context is non-LEO/MIL, general purpose, including home defense. Not SBR.

I know they had some early issues. Blowers mentions that he witnessed similar problems mentioned up thread. (note, video was 2016)

Aaron Cowan did a positive review of their current Helix model

Mrgunsngear had similarly positive things to say.
    The .30 cal version is the suppressor chosen for the U.S. Army M110A1 SDMR rifle (HK 417). They are buying 6,000 units.

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/09/oss...#axzz6U5WIAdSa

I shot one on a Tavor a few years ago at an LE demo and it worked as advertised.

I think there were some growing pains and internal company drama a few years back but splitting up after achieving success seems as common in suppressor companies as with rock bands.

I have a HX-QD 7.62 mainly for a M1A but have used it for .223 and 6.8. It actually seems quieter on the M1A think it is the better "seal" on the end cap with the larger cal. And while working loads for the 6.8 there was no change in MV or POI with the can on. POI changed some on the M1A but think that was more to the position being used and the extra weight not recoiling as much.

I'll add my review.

I have a 5.56 Helix QD (the new one circa 2020 that is one piece, but without the additional flash hider nub they added this summer after my Form 4 was processing). I absolutely love it. It is my only rifle can, for reference I also have a .45 caliber pistol can, so I can't give great comparison notes, but I do have at least some experience with baffles. I run my HX-QD on a Tavor X95, and a normal DI AR-15. It is invisible to the gun, in terms of function, reliability, bolt speed, gas, and fouling, which is a huge benefit that outweighs just about anything else for me. There is minimal gas in my face, the gun runs, and it doesn't get dirty substantially faster than unsuppressed.

It is brilliant that it uses left-handed threading, because it tightens with each shot. It is a sealed design and the cleaning procedure (for every 2,500 rounds) is to soak it in CLP and then shoot it.

I haven't done extensive accuracy testing, but for my home defense uses inside 100 yards, it still shoots to my unsupressed zero for me.

What I want from a suppressor is to throw it on the gun, have the gun be quieter, and not think about it again. That's what the OSS does. I love it, and I won't look at any non-OSS cans from now on. It may not be the quietest or the lightest or the cheapest, but it is the simplest and in my opinion most reliable, so if that's your priority check one out. My prediction is these are going to be the new hotness once enough people try them and see the benefits; it feels to me like the Glock in a world of 1911s and BHPs, but with the 6-12 month processing and general lack of use caused by the NFA slowing down adoption.

PS, a little bird told me some new models are coming soon, so, stay tuned.
    Join FPC

User Tag List