Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: H&K Wins CSASS competition for the M110E1

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    I've heard that... And purposefully chambered the same round 10 times to see how possible it was on the range. It's a theoretical problem with an overly complicated hardware solution if you use good quality ammo (not SumDudes reloads)

I think the main issue with re chambering is not fear of a ND but rather creating divots in the primer making it harder and getting a FTF when you need a bang.
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    I think the main issue with re chambering is not fear of a ND but rather creating divots in the primer making it harder and getting a FTF when you need a bang.
    That's my main concern. Some folks will say only chamber a round once. Some say you can do it 5 times. It's not worth the risk to me so I end up with loose, once chambered rounds in my vehicle after any arrest, search warrant, etc. From there they go into my range bag. They've always gone bang - but Mr Murphy tends to prefer real world ops over training in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    It is... But, not chambering the same round repeatedly solves the issue. The fix does not negate the fact that you should not chamber the same round repeatedly based on the fact that one should still worry about bullet set back

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    I've heard that... And purposefully chambered the same round 10 times to see how possible it was on the range. It's a theoretical problem with an overly complicated hardware solution if you use good quality ammo (not SumDudes reloads)
    Luke and El Cid correct about repeated re-chambering causing dead primer issues rather than slam fires.

I'm not talking about re- clambering a round or bullet set back- I'm talking about a very hard strike to the butt or high fall Landing on the butt causing a chambered round to fire, even with the manual safety engaged. This was demo'ed in my agency Armorer school with an M4 and a federal factory .223 round which had the bullet pulled and powder removed.

Does it mean an AR needs a firing pin safety? Not necessarily but users need to be aware ARs and Remington 870 Shotguns are not 100% drop safe with a round in the chamber. That's a fact.

I don't know if any of the other CSASS submissions had firing pin safeties but I doubt it. I don't think it was a requirement, it could just be a. German thing Mo parts, mo complex = Mo' beta. Or, as Sean said it could have been a back door way to select the The One.
    Last edited by HCM; 04-12-2016 at 11:50 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Luke and El Cid correct about repeated re-chambering causing dead primer issues rather than slam fires.

I'm not talking about re- clambering a round or bullet set back- I'm talking about a very hard strike to the butt or high fall Landing on the butt causing a chambered round to fire, even with the manual safety engaged. This was demo'ed in my agency Armorer school with an M4 and a federal factory .223 round which had the bullet pulled and powder removed.

Does it mean an AR needs a firing pin safety? Not necessarily but users need to be aware ARs and Remington 870 Shotguns are not 100% drop safe with a round in the chamber. That's a fact.

I don't know if any of the other CSASS submissions had firing pin safeties but I doubt it. I don't think it was a requirement, it could just be a. German thing Mo parts, mo complex = Mo' beta. Or, as Sean said it could have been a back door way to select the The One.
    The hard-strike discharge was unintentionally demo'd in front of me one day in Afghanistan when a soldier fresh in from an op jumped down out of the back of the large truck he'd been in, landed hard on the concrete pad, and the slung rifle hit the ground with him and discharged. Nobody got hurt. They started making more of an effort to make sure everybody cleared their chambers when coming back inside the wire.

The original 416s had slam fire issues with some commercial ammunition. I was actually present when this was discovered when a federal agency had slam fires with Hornady TAP during a training course. It wasn't an issue with USGI MK262 at the same event. That's where the firing pin safety thingy came from on the 416s.

ETA It's been a decade but I believe I remember the 416 was sprung heavier than a Colt M4 and also had a heavier firing pin and this combo led to the slam firing. But, again, that's based off of a decade old memory.
    Last edited by David Pennington; 04-20-2016 at 06:34 PM.

The HK416 has a much bigger firing pin than a standard AR. They now have a spring around the firing pin. I believe these were added fairly early into the program, but some were fielded without them.

User Tag List