Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Are Shotguns Really Old and Busted?

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    That's a great deal. Generally I'd prefer to keep my wood furniture, but that's a great deal.
    My favorite 870 at the PD had no finish on the barrel and the very distinct impression of two front teeth in the butt stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Are there suggested 20 ga loads?
    I just got a couple of boxes of this #1 Buck load from SG Ammo to try out in my wife's shotgun. Haven't patterned it yet:

http://sgammo.com/product/20-gauge/2...tan-ammunition

I think Rio also has a similar loading.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    Given a choice (and our agency has that choice) of one long gun per agent (14" 870, 11.5" or 14.5" M4s, very limited number of MP5A3s) I have the M4... Shit gets knocked, bumped, smacked etc, and I trust the M4 safety far more than the shotgun's.
    I really think that the Mossberg 590DA1 never got it's due. I thought that the DA trigger was just the ticket for the above reason, and I had no problem busting clays with it. I'd love to buy the T&E one that I got for the village I was Chief at.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    I really like the layout of the Mossbergs. 590 is my first choice for a pump.
    If I were going to acquire a new pump gun, it would be a 590 with Magpul furniture.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Late to reply.

I have never used reduced recoil ammo in the M2, so I can't really comment. As for LOP, as I said, I don't use a long gun for searching, so it is a moot point. Otoh, aside from the Mesa stock that Tom posted, Benelli makes a shorter LOP comfortech stock.

http://www.mossberg.com/product/510-...e-field-50358/

My wife's shotgun is the 510 mini in 20 ga. I don't know about long term durability, but it is super short, light, and handy.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    As for LOP, as I said, I don't use a long gun for searching, so it is a moot point.
    I don't know if you're willing to discuss this publicly, but the above comment confused me. Don't your current/former units search with long guns all the time? Or did you mean by yourself in a home defense scenario?

Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    I don't know if you're willing to discuss this publicly, but the above comment confused me. Don't your current/former units search with long guns all the time? Or did you mean by yourself in a home defense scenario?
    Yes.:-)

Since i have dependants in my house, I search with a pistol in order to have a free hand. The long gun is more like an AA battery, and only really comes into play if my wife is home, or if someone gets into my bedroom.

Professionally, I use a carbine whenever possible.

Personally, even without dependants, I am more likely to search with a pistol, as I will have more things to do on my own, than if I had a team with me.

Obviously,a correct lop has more benefits than just searching.
    Last edited by SLG; 04-07-2016 at 12:06 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Yes.:-)

Since i have dependants in my house, I search with a pistol in order to have a free hand. The long gun is more like an AA battery, and only really comes into play if my wife is home, or if someone gets into my bedroom.

Professionally, I use a carbine whenever possible.

Personally, even without dependants, I am more likely to search with a pistol, as I will have more things to do on my own, than if I had a team with me.

Obviously,a correct lop has more benefits than just searching.
    That makes sense. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I had no idea that a DA shotgun was a thing. I have an irrational love of DA triggers (and other triggers that people think suck). I am intrigued.
    This was around 2000-2001. I really liked the damn thing. I (the town) purchased the T&E gun, and I had a local place install an XS Big Dot front sight and chop 2" off the synthetic stock. The only thing that would have made it better would have been a 14" tube instead of the 18.5".

If I run across another one, I will snap it up.
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Thanks for this, guys. I've been thinking about the home defense long gun again after a home invasion in my ban-state town, and this thread has probably made someone, possibly Hans Vang, a shotgun sale.

I would also suggest JD at AI&P Tactical. He builds really nice guns on the 870 and 11-87 platforms. With Flite Control wads, I no longer see the need for the Vang barrel work. The AI&P guns are very solid and much less expensive than a Vang Comp or WC/Scattergun.

http://www.aiptactical.com/

User Tag List