Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Are Shotguns Really Old and Busted?

I have a full house WC 870, and have had Vang and others. They are nice, as long as you get what you want and not what they want to sell you. My factory 870's, modestly accessorized to my taste, are every bit as good, so don't feel like you have to get a custom 870. Of all the guns out there, an 870 probably needs the least customization to bring it to its potential.

Shotguns are the working man's(or women's) gun,in recent times they seem like their being supplanted by the AR platform.pistol-forum is doing a great job by informing people that the shotgun has a very viable place for home defense.

Are Shotguns Really Old and Busted?

Last weekend with the "old and busted" shotty. #1 FC with some scattered slugs at 7, 10, 15, and 20 yds (buck finally started to spread at 20). As all have said, get the right tool for the job. I have a pistol, shotgun, and ar locked up under the bed. With a 5 and 3 yo in the house, pistols job is to get me to them, then them and wife in safe location. Then I t's time to switch to shotgun. We have an open floor plan so 20 yd shot is possible. AR is mostly for bumps outside in the unlikely situation I would go outside to engage (100 yds to cover out front 75 yds in the back. Mostly to shine a very bright light in someone's face if they decide to drive a boat on shore on the back yard).

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1460248833.123099.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  42.2 KB
    Last edited by CoGT3; 04-09-2016 at 07:40 PM. Reason: photo

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    High velocity swaged foster slugs are an excellent choice if "over penetration" is a concern, their weak construction plus high velocity usually causes them to break apart into pieces or donut. Most won't meet FBI specs for penetration into bare gelatin. In most cases reduced recoil foster slugs will penetrate significantly further than their high velocity counterparts. A persistent myth is that shotgun slugs as a group are capable of extreme penetration.
    Remington 1oz foster at 1560fps are magical. They aren't going quuuiiiittteeee fast enough to donut or frag typically, but they deform and compress significantly. I also find them to shoot about 3-6moa at 50 yards.

One other thing if note. When the world ends, shotguns can pump mad amounts of lead into an area. I remember dumping a mag of #4 buck downrange once from my m1014. It was dry and dusty, and nothing in thay field would have been safe put to 200 + yards. I'd not want to go up against a madman in a field hundreds of yards off with him having one!
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 06-05-2016 at 03:39 AM.

User Tag List