Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Mini rant on current events

This thread should be a "must read" for all people considering going to training. I'm in my 40's, but only about 3 years into getting serious about concealed carry and the lifestyle that goes with it. I have been lucky with the regional courses I have gone to and have learned things at each one. I stumbled across a Kyle Defoor video on you tube about choosing who to train with a while back. For CC guys he recommended getting some hand to hand skills and medical. I have been to some hand and knife classes now and have a medical lined up for April.

It is a reality check though. I am fairly decent with a pistol due to a lot of rounds, courses, IDPA, etc. I still feel completely incompetent in the hand to hand area. It's much easier and more fun to go do what you're good at. Humbling to go and be the new guy....

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    SLG - first, if that's a rant for you, I'd hate to see you mellow. It would be like the Ambien of the Internet Kidding aside, extremely well written, and I vote should be a STICKY.
    My first sticky, I'm touched.

As far as being mellow or not, I guess I should not have used rant in the title. There is no way any of this stuff would cause me to lose my cool, so I guess rant is really the wrong way to take it. "Comments from the Peanut Gallery", might have been a better title. :-)

I almost never tell war stories (mine are not nearly as cool as my friends'), but one of my favorite memories involves my rookie year and being complimented by a senior officer on staying cool on the radio while bullets were trying to get friendly with us. He made my year with that compliment.

Quote Originally Posted by Slalom.45 View Post
    This thread should be a "must read" for all people considering going to training. I'm in my 40's, but only about 3 years into getting serious about concealed carry and the lifestyle that goes with it. I have been lucky with the regional courses I have gone to and have learned things at each one. I stumbled across a Kyle Defoor video on you tube about choosing who to train with a while back. For CC guys he recommended getting some hand to hand skills and medical. I have been to some hand and knife classes now and have a medical lined up for April.

It is a reality check though. I am fairly decent with a pistol due to a lot of rounds, courses, IDPA, etc. I still feel completely incompetent in the hand to hand area. It's much easier and more fun to go do what you're good at. Humbling to go and be the new guy....

Advantage Group host Shivworks (Craig Douglas) twice a year in the New Orleans Area.

I came in here expecting a rant, only to read a well-thought observation on the state of the training industry. Weak tea I say. I've read better tirades constructed by emotional 12 year olds distressed about One Direction breaking up. So this equates to amateur hour.

Banter aside, I concur with the consensus that this thread is a must-read for those weighing their training options when it comes to practical every-day carry. The majority of gun owners unfortunately seem to fall into one of two camps when it comes to training.

1. They take an introductory course and assess they're ready for anything.

Or

2. They take a bunch of "tacti-cool" courses that have little to no relevance to the incident(s) they're likely to face out on the streets.

I'm not sure which one is worse to be quite honest.

Site Supporter
    Category 1 is by far the worse option. At least in your second category, they're training.

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    I came in here expecting a rant, only to read a well-thought observation on the state of the training industry. Weak tea I say. I've read better tirades constructed by emotional 12 year olds distressed about One Direction breaking up. So this equates to amateur hour.

Banter aside, I concur with the consensus that this thread is a must-read for those weighing their training options when it comes to practical every-day carry. The majority of gun owners unfortunately seem to fall into one of two camps when it comes to training.

1. They take an introductory course and assess they're ready for anything.

Or

2. They take a bunch of "tacti-cool" courses that have little to no relevance to the incident(s) they're likely to face out on the streets.

I'm not sure which one is worse to be quite honest.

I note from watching Southnarc's "Experiential Learning Lab" at Tac that a LOT of people in the gun world need to take more training on context than the how to shoot part.

Although, I did also note in Larry Lindenman's "Managing the "Don't shoot yet"" block tha way too many people go to "gunpoint" by going to center mass with the muzzle and then put their finger on the trigger.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Now I'm starting to think I'm guilty of creating a clickbait title. :-)

I know this is probably not needed at this point, but I want to re-iterate, that I am not against any good training from any good instructor. All I'm saying in that area is that you need to figure out what you want, and then find an instructor and course that will deliver that. I teach as a part of my job. Shooting, tactics, etc. I still go out and train with others, both in my organization and outside of it. Really, a guy's professional background only tells part of the story, especially when you divide them into great big areas like "Law Enforcement" and "The Military." John Holschen and Greg Hamilton, to use another example, are former Mil guys. Never spent a day in their lives behind a badge, afaik. They understand a lot about concealed carry and personal defense tactics. A lot. I could keep going with different examples, but I hope my point is clear.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    My first sticky, I'm touched.

As far as being mellow or not, I guess I should not have used rant in the title. There is no way any of this stuff would cause me to lose my cool, so I guess rant is really the wrong way to take it. "Comments from the Peanut Gallery", might have been a better title. :-)
    Let me know if you need the title edited. Here, PM, text, email, whatever.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Although, I did also note in Larry Lindenman's "Managing the "Don't shoot yet"" block tha way too many people go to "gunpoint" by going to center mass with the muzzle and then put their finger on the trigger.
    Just to clarify, do you mean they're doing the full pressout and THEN making the decision whether to get on the trigger or not, versus starting in some sort of ready position, making the decision and then moving the gun to center mass?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink View Post
    Category 1 is by far the worse option. At least in your second category, they're training.
    Have you found any effective ways to convince others to get more training if they're in Category 1?

User Tag List