Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Mini rant on current events

SLG,
    I have to grade this an F- on RANT quality and A+ on content and delivery.

Just to be up front, I'm "That Guy". You know, the one who slows the class down and asks too many questions. I'm not the guy blowing the X ring away and making everyone look bad (Vinh!). I don't get enough quality training and I appreciate when you who do train hard and regularly put this kind of thing out for the rest of us to see. It may help us not make bad choices.
    Last edited by Rich@CCC; 03-29-2016 at 05:31 PM.
    TANSTAAFL

Managing Partner, Custom Carry Concepts, LLC

Preach it.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Great post. It's kinda nice to be validated in some decisions I made about training (no comps/brakes and always shoot from concealment) but that's almost certainly luck I'm not saying that SLG said to always shoot from concealment but I believe that my decision to was inline with his words on being realistic about your guns, gear, and holsters.
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 03-29-2016 at 09:01 PM. Reason: your, not yours
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    SLG is trolling for likes.
    I bit
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    SLG is trolling for likes.
    Now GJM is going to be upset when he finds out..., because unlike SLG, GJM cares about likes.
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 03-29-2016 at 06:36 PM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

SLG's post reminds me of a conversation I had when I spoke to the manager of a local gun range. I was cold calling different ranges trying to find somewhere to host Tom Givens to teach Combative Pistol. The manager was a nice guy and one of the few people who took a few minutes to talk with me. He is familiar with Tom but said he was not interested. I can't argue with that, it's his range and he can do what he wants. Right before we finish talking, he says, "Now if you can get Travis Haley, call me back." I remember thinking, "We're not really on the same page here."
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Great post. It's kinda nice to be validated in some decisions I made about training (no comps/brakes and always shoot from concealment) but that's almost certainly luck I'm not saying that SLG said to always shoot from concealment but I believe that my decision to was inline with his words on being realistic about yours guns, gear, and holsters.
    This right here.

I'm all about being realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by BJJ View Post
    Right before we finish talking, he says, "Now if you can get Travis Haley, call me back." I remember thinking, "We're not really on the same page here."
    Not even in the same book. But that sort of thinking is wide-spread, and much of what SLG was talking about. You gotta wonder what those accolytes think of the Japan extravaganza...

New here so don't mind me too much. I mostly agree with SLG.

So far, I've trained with "both". I freely admit that part of the "allure" of training with the ex-Unit guys and such is who/what the are/were. Nevertheless, they did drop the hammer on people, and though generally in a proactive way, I'm sure there were some reactive fights in there as well. Many operated, at times ,in low-viz ops where their requirements were similar to mine today. So I don't discount what they can teach me, because it was definitely more than just door kicking. And I do think mindset stuff can rub off just a little.

On my own, however, I am starting to look at other instructors. I recently did a class with Greg Ellifritz and will be in a class with John Murphy this weekend, with Craig Douglas a week after that. Expanding my horizons, trying to figure out what will work best for me.

I am not one of those guys who treats classes like competitions. No brakes on ARs or magwell funnels on my Glocks. My last 2 classes involving carbines were classes I took sans chestrigs, battlebelts, or multicam, just a pair of carbine mag pouches on a wilderness belt.

So, while I'm sure I've been "that guy" a few times, I really try not to be. I try to use stuff to apply to my "mission" and not engage in Walter Mitty fantasies about zombie apocalypses and such.

AARs for all of my classes are on my blog, which I can link to if people are interested (I don't want to presume).

SLG's post should be required reading for anyone intending to seek formal training. Good stuff.
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 03-29-2016 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Grammar

User Tag List