Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Mini rant on current events

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    You do however need to be realistic about what is actual training and what is shooting for fun / passion of the gun.
    Agree. I was responding more to the second line of discussion that followed LL's rant, and I liked LL's rant quite a bit, than the original post that started the thread.

At any rate, it seems to me that it'd be easier to get someone from "gun accumulator" to class taker by showing/emphasizing the whole "this is fun" aspect of skill building. Even in a class or at a match, where you're there for some pretty serious reasons, I still intend to really enjoy it. I mean, I'm not at work, I'm on a range getting to shoot with a group of people that are generally like-minded. What's not to love?

I do understand that there's folks who come at this from a different angle, and they don't really enjoy shooting but it was/is necessary for their job. But with newb's and folks that haven't ever tried more than "let's see if I can hit that" and think 1000 rounds is a LOT of ammo, showing them how much fun they can have while improving their skills is something I've had success with.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Well, to be fair, the tendency for people to prioritize equipment over skill is pretty much universal for anything that requires both (golf, photography, cooking, shooting, driving, gaming, etc.).

As for the part about specifically addressing the PF community, I honestly interpreted it as just a general statement rather than toward just PF, and that the growth of PF was merely a great reminder to you/us about the wider issues.

I personally (can't speak for rob_s) didn't find your post to be negative at all, but in fact a fount of positivity (despite you labeling it as a rant). I'll also note that my mention of clone builders was not meant to be demeaning in any way, but merely a rather extreme example of something with a distinct lack of utility that can still bring its owner much joy and pride of ownership (though perhaps that might speak negatively about our overall consumer driven society...), and it was an example that many of us here would have a relatively high probability of running into, given our shared interests in firearms, and such a person may very well have some kind of passing interest in self-defense, so they might have an interest in the ability to have good hand-to-hand or pistol skills.

Instead, I was merely disagreeing with the seemingly objective way you described some of the things in your post. For some people, the hardware is the endgoal in itself. The question then becomes, how many people are simply into firearms just because they think they're fucking cool, and actually aren't all that serious about self-defense (despite what they might espouse), how many people are genuinely into self-defense, and the gear aspect is merely a means, and all the people that are between those two positions? I suspect that rob_s believes that the first group is the majority of people in the so-called tactical community, and possibly even in the training community, and thus why he might believe that even gentle encouragement to maybe check out an IAJJ AAR would almost always be a waste of time and energy.

I mean, ultimately, all other things being equal, is there any statistically significant verifiable improvement in quality of life for your average civilian if they use a Safariland 7390 versus a SERPA? If they decide to join a BJJ gym rather than plunk down for that factory woodland HK91? As many posters in this thread have noted, people get caught up in the whole gear train and tacticool entertrainment, and none of it is really all that relevant to their everyday lives, but ultimately, how often does the fact that these people are woefully underprepared against any true violence actually affect their lives?

Really, to me, it's just something for me to help keep in perspective. This isn't to say we shouldn't straight up not give a shit, and that we should not make any attempt at prodding and/or encouraging people to take into context what they're buying/what classes they wish to attend, just that when we get all fired up and proselytizing, step back, and see how ultimately inconsequential most of this stuff is (for normal civilians, anyway), and to not be too serious about it.
    Whole lotta words for me and I have a short attention span

Anyway, I did not mean to imply one should force anyone into anything. Owning guns because they're cool is fine, not training is fine, ultimately I care about how people vote and I think that is the same for many here.

Personally, I don't ever want to give up on self improvement. I'm not the best at anything and just maybe a decent shooter but I don't like to quit. That's how I went from this to doing this with a chainsaw and doing all of the splitting with a maul myself. I also took "Top Gun" at the recent GreenOps class but I'm prouder of the physical labor For those that take offense to encouraging a self improvement in training and skill sets attitude, you can still hang out at and enjoy PF but I plan on keeping PF a place where the intangibles are valued more than the material possessions.

Yup, bragging, boasting, humbebragging, whatever. I'm not going to be that fat fuck bemoaning an injury from a few years ago as the reason I can't do shit now and am out of shape for the rest of my life and I look forward to sucking miserably at USPSA this year
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 04-01-2016 at 06:17 AM.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    FIFY
    LOL

Context and situation have a lot do with technique...or do I need to remind you what you ranted about in the OP?
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    LOL

Context and situation have a lot do with technique...or do I need to remind you what you ranted about in the OP?
    Recommend you guys take it to PM. Recommendation, that's all.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Whole lotta words for me and I have a short attention span

Anyway, I did not mean to imply one should force anyone into anything. Owning guns because they're cool is fine, not training is fine, ultimately I care about how people vote and I think that is the same for many here.

Personally, I don't ever want to give up on self improvement. I'm not the best at anything and just maybe a decent shooter but I don't like to quit. That's how I went from this to doing this with a chainsaw and doing all of the splitting with a maul myself. I also took "Top Gun" at the recent GreenOps class but I'm prouder of the physical labor For those that take offense to encouraging a self improvement in training and skill sets attitude, you can still hang out at and enjoy PF but I plan on keeping PF a place where the intangibles are valued more than the material possessions.

Yup, bragging, boasting, humbebragging, whatever. I'm not going to be that fat fuck bemoaning an injury from a few years ago as the reason I can't do shit now and am out of shape for the rest of my life and I look forward to sucking miserably at USPSA this year
    There's also quite a few people on here that have done much than I on here and have suffered much more as well. I'm humbled by their daily examples of excellent and perseverance, proud to call them my friends.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Recommend you guys take it to PM. Recommendation, that's all.
    No need I am sure we are on the same page but due to the internet being what it is, we have what we have.
    VDMSR.com
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    LOL

I agree, but some truths are self evident as well. I'd say I'm about as well rounded as anyone when it comes to being exposed to various schools of thought and mission profiles, even for missions I have never had and will never have. Never seen reputable school/unit/sop that advocates taking your safety off in anticipation of something. Lots of units USED to do that, mine included. All that i know are smarter now.

I'm not being pissy, if that's what LL was worried about. I'm also not worried about opsec or whatever it is that has VDM worried.

I agree, but some truths are self evident as well. I'd say I'm about as well rounded as anyone when it comes to being exposed to various schools of thought and mission profiles, even for missions I have never had and will never have. Never seen reputable school/unit/sop that advocates taking your safety off in anticipation of something. Lots of units USED to do that, mine included. All that i know are smarter now.

I'm not being pissy, if that's what LL was worried about. I'm also not worried about opsec or whatever it is that has VDM worried.
    VDMSR.com

Not at all on the pissy part, just wasn't sure about the tactics discussion (not I'm a pro but I do agree with you on the basic of my long outdated Marine MOUT school course).
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    This I think is a good technique. I'll take anyone that wants to out to the range to go shooting, and I'll even give them a gun, ammo, holster, etc. for their first outing.

What I'm not going to do is "bang my head against the wall" trying to get some guy that just wants to say he owns a gun so he can say he owns a gun to agree with me on all things self-defense, especially when he and I are virtually guaranteed to have no different life expectancy all else being equal.

now if that guy goes out and shoots, and maybe goes to a match, or has another epiphany that leads to him wanting to improve, for whatever reason, then I'm happy to suggest instructors, send him links, direct him away from the charlatans, and share my opinion as to where he should focus his time and money to get the best, fastest, most applicable results to his own situation.
    I understand where you're coming from, and like you I'll take anybody shooting. My wife even volunteered me to help one of her elderly patients get out and shoot what he likes. I also get the head banging part. A good friend has an obsession with micro .380/9mm's for carry, and is on the fourth different iteration in 18 months. I mentioned classes and told him I was going to Givens. His response, "I'd like to go to a class someday." Translation: "Eat a bag of dicks." So we're friends, but for now I'm done with trying to help him shoot better.

As far as the training continuum goes, it's not just assessing potential instructors. Honest self-assessment is necessary, but how many people actually do that in a meaningful way (outside of PF)? I think Givens and Hackathorn have both mentioned the low number of shooters who actually get any training, and they're talking about firearms training. The subset with training in one other category (first aid, H2H, knife, etc) is incredibly small. I'm not saying we shouldn't help people who want to get better, but we need to understand the surprise will be when someone takes us up on it, not the other way around.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List