Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Mini rant on current events

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I agree, but some truths are self evident as well. I'd say I'm about as well rounded as anyone when it comes to being exposed to various schools of thought and mission profiles, even for missions I have never had and will never have. Never seen reputable school/unit/sop that advocates taking your safety off in anticipation of something. Lots of units USED to do that, mine included. All that i know are smarter now.

I'm not being pissy, if that's what LL was worried about. I'm also not worried about opsec or whatever it is that has VDM worried.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

WHITE CLAW AFFICIONADO LittleLebowski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I'm not being pissy, if that's what LL was worried about. I'm also not worried about opsec or whatever it is that has VDM worried.
    Not at all on the pissy part, just wasn't sure about the tactics discussion (not I'm a pro but I do agree with you on the basic of my long outdated Marine MOUT school course).

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    This I think is a good technique. I'll take anyone that wants to out to the range to go shooting, and I'll even give them a gun, ammo, holster, etc. for their first outing.

What I'm not going to do is "bang my head against the wall" trying to get some guy that just wants to say he owns a gun so he can say he owns a gun to agree with me on all things self-defense, especially when he and I are virtually guaranteed to have no different life expectancy all else being equal.

now if that guy goes out and shoots, and maybe goes to a match, or has another epiphany that leads to him wanting to improve, for whatever reason, then I'm happy to suggest instructors, send him links, direct him away from the charlatans, and share my opinion as to where he should focus his time and money to get the best, fastest, most applicable results to his own situation.
    I understand where you're coming from, and like you I'll take anybody shooting. My wife even volunteered me to help one of her elderly patients get out and shoot what he likes. I also get the head banging part. A good friend has an obsession with micro .380/9mm's for carry, and is on the fourth different iteration in 18 months. I mentioned classes and told him I was going to Givens. His response, "I'd like to go to a class someday." Translation: "Eat a bag of dicks." So we're friends, but for now I'm done with trying to help him shoot better.

As far as the training continuum goes, it's not just assessing potential instructors. Honest self-assessment is necessary, but how many people actually do that in a meaningful way (outside of PF)? I think Givens and Hackathorn have both mentioned the low number of shooters who actually get any training, and they're talking about firearms training. The subset with training in one other category (first aid, H2H, knife, etc) is incredibly small. I'm not saying we shouldn't help people who want to get better, but we need to understand the surprise will be when someone takes us up on it, not the other way around.
    Reed, the dicks have their job, and we have ours.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    ...did you really just lecture SLG, of all people, about being tight lipped about TTPs on PF?

Oh lord. LL, I think we need a new thread; this one is broken .

Quote Originally Posted by dove View Post
    ...did you really just lecture SLG, of all people, about being tight lipped about TTPs on PF?

Oh lord. LL, I think we need a new thread; this one is broken .
    Internet satire seems to have gotten the better of you (and probably others).
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Anyone from Detroit will recognize this which I have borrowed for our "peculiar hobby" and EACH OWES ALL: "EACH ONE REACH ONE.

It's your duty.

If your worse case scenario is an assault I'll raise you one and counter with combat in your area of operation.

You'll rue your decision to ignore the mouse gun metrosexual.

The Second Amendment is FAR more important than my self-protection. It's about me & family, my neighborhood, my part of town, Baton Rouge as a whole, East Baton Rouge Parish, SE Louisiana and Louisiana independence.

Never fail to offer to introduce someone to shoot. They may be all you have tasked with covering you in the bizarre future we may be tasked with experiencing. Also, some hand to hand would be nice but medical may be more valuable.

Just my thoughts...

-------------------------------------
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."

User Tag List