Page 3137 of 3558 FirstFirst ... 2137263730373087312731353136313731383139314731873237 ... LastLast
Results 31,361 to 31,370 of 35578

Thread: Make me laugh - the PF memes thread - NO POLITICAL MEMES

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    We did a narcotics suppression operation in Corpus Christi back in the day in preparation for a Gator Freighter to pull in for a port visit. Most of the dope that sailors are likely to find down there moved through the local Gentlemen's Clubs. On our "round up" night after three nights of buys to build cases, I had the misfortune to pull the short straw on one of those clubs, and every "performer" in the place could have totally had one of those signs on their car. The glamorous life of Federal LE...

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    We did a narcotics suppression operation in Corpus Christi back in the day in preparation for a Gator Freighter to pull in for a port visit. Most of the dope that sailors are likely to find down there moved through the local Gentlemen's Clubs. On our "round up" night after three nights of buys to build cases, I had the misfortune to pull the short straw on one of those clubs, and every "performer" in the place could have totally had one of those signs on their car. The glamorous life of Federal LE...
    I went ashore once in Corpus. There was a shoe store with the entrance set in about six feet so to have more display space. It was a good semi-private place to throw up.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Great movie, one I can watch over and over. The book, however, was damn near incomprehensible. Dunno why.

Chris
    Which book did you read? It's a long series and if you started in the middle, with say The Far Side of the World, I could see it being confusing. Obviously it may just be different tastes. For myself, I love the Aubrey-Maturin novels and am incredibly meh about the movie. A long list of things I see as flawed in the on-screen version but especially I think Maturin didn't ring right.
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    Which book did you read? It's a long series and if you started in the middle, with say The Far Side of the World, I could see it being confusing. Obviously it may just be different tastes. For myself, I love the Aubrey-Maturin novels and am incredibly meh about the movie. A long list of things I see as flawed in the on-screen version but especially I think Maturin didn't ring right.
    I read Master and Commander (Vol. Book 1).

I don't know why it didn't click for me, I expected to love it based on my enjoyment of the movie, but I simply couldn't track with it.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Don’t know how I’ve lived never having seen that!! 😂!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I went ashore once in Corpus. There was a shoe store with the entrance set in about six feet so to have more display space. It was a good semi-private place to throw up.
    I only served in a department of the Navy, so not actually the United States Navy officially, but to this I have to say "Ooo-freakin-rah" there Stephanie B. In the tradition of the USN, and all of it's departments, I'm certain that you rallied back strong.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I read Master and Commander (Vol. Book 1).

I don't know why it didn't click for me, I expected to love it based on my enjoyment of the movie, but I simply couldn't track with it.

Chris
    The movie is a poor mix of a bunch of the books.

Generally I tell people to give it until book 3 in the series, which is not a small commitment but a worthwhile one. There are 20 books and people often reread the entire series multiple times.

I lost count myself.

Name:  97f6f7a4.jpg
Views: 804
Size:  34.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    The movie is a poor mix of a bunch of the books.

Generally I tell people to give it until book 3 in the series, which is not a small commitment but a worthwhile one. There are 20 books and people often reread the entire series multiple times.

I lost count myself.
    A fair few great series don't really get going until after the first 3 or more books: Discworld, Travis McGee, and so on.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Name:  Screenshot from 2023-01-13 07-41-20.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  24.3 KB

User Tag List