Page 2999 of 3544 FirstFirst ... 19992499289929492989299729982999300030013009304930993499 ... LastLast
Results 29,981 to 29,990 of 35440

Thread: Make me laugh - the PF memes thread - NO POLITICAL MEMES

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    What do we know that others don't?
    Tech is not your friend. It's amoral, like many of the people who harness it, and turning it to evil ends is child's play.

People who work in tech understand that the people who design it and sell it are, if not utterly amoral, then certainly more interested in what tech can do than how those functions fit within any recognizable moral framework.

Book of Faces is a good example of early, relatively innocent bungling. They built it faster than they could understand it. By the time Cambridge Analytica slouched into view, it had outgrown their ability to control it. Yet they persisted, hoping it would somehow spiral back into control.

The bird app is worse. A truly malignant genie has been unleashed over there. Elon has revealed some of it, but even he might not be able to force it back in the bottle.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    The bird app is worse. A truly malignant genie has been unleashed over there. Elon has revealed some of it, but even he might not be able to force it back in the bottle.

Okie John
    Bird app? You don't mean the one associated with the rental electric scooters do you? What's the problem?

We have the Bird scooters in my town...

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Bird app? You don't mean the one associated with the rental electric scooters do you? What's the problem?

We have the Bird scooters in my town...

Chris
    Name:  D4E6BFAF-C7BC-453D-A601-FAFA24EE2F75.png
Views: 823
Size:  3.0 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Name:  D4E6BFAF-C7BC-453D-A601-FAFA24EE2F75.png
Views: 823
Size:  3.0 KB
    Oh, that one.

Chris

Tech is not your friend. It's amoral, like many of the people who harness it, and turning it to evil ends is child's play.

People who work in tech understand that the people who design it and sell it are, if not utterly amoral, then certainly more interested in what tech can do than how those functions fit within any recognizable moral framework.
    Name:  goldblum-quote.jpg
Views: 799
Size:  49.1 KB
    Yippee ki-yay

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"

Anything that is amoral but powerful, if not guided by careful moral actors, will inevitably have immoral consequences.

On the topic of IT guys shooting, well, duh. James Damore had it figured out. IT guys like tech. Guns are tech. They go together. In today's world, there are a lot more IT guys with the time and money to pursue guns than other kinds of tech people. Mechanical tech guys (engineers, mechanics, etc.) are also probably more likely than IT guys to sink their free resources into hot rods, motorcycles, and things that fly or float.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Anything that is amoral but powerful, if not guided by careful moral actors, will inevitably have immoral consequences.

On the topic of IT guys shooting, well, duh. James Damore had it figured out. IT guys like tech. Guns are tech. They go together. In today's world, there are a lot more IT guys with the time and money to pursue guns than other kinds of tech people. Mechanical tech guys (engineers, mechanics, etc.) are also probably more likely than IT guys to sink their free resources into hot rods, motorcycles, and things that fly or float.
    I'm glad I don't fall into that category. That could get expensive.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post

I carried my Gatt while riding my bike.

Quote Originally Posted by BCG View Post
    Name:  goldblum-quote.jpg
Views: 799
Size:  49.1 KB
    You are becoming Gods
    There's a new master of creation, and it's you
    You've unraveled DNA
    And at the same time, you're cultivating
    Bacteria strong enough to kill every living thing
    D'you think you are ready for that much power?
    You lot? You lot?
    Cheeky bastards, you're running around science like kids wi' guns
    Creating a new world, while the one you've got is stinking
    Go on, 'ands up, 'ands up anyone who thinks you've got it right
    Yeah, there's always one I can see you
    If you want the position of God, then take the responsibility
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    There was a rumor that Paul Allen from Microsoft was a gun guy and supposedly he posted in some media - but I have no idea if this was true given his social interests. Also, a well known west coast group trained Gates' security - could be BS.
    Wouldn’t surprise me. A cousin lived in a building in Seattle with such a person who was on Allen’s security team. Quit because Allen and family were miserable, unhappy people to be around despite (because of?) their wealth.
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

- William Pitt the Younger

User Tag List