Page 2940 of 3542 FirstFirst ... 19402440284028902930293829392940294129422950299030403440 ... LastLast
Results 29,391 to 29,400 of 35413

Thread: Make me laugh - the PF memes thread - NO POLITICAL MEMES

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I've heard of some kids who just think it's a clothing brand with a cool logo. Don't even realize they could listen to it.
    You're not helping.

Chris

Was relaying a story to two of the students at the school here, about how I joined the fire department in 1988.
    They said, in sync, wow I didn't think that you were THAT old.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Site Supporter
    Repro concert tee shirts from the 70s are apparently cool now. The people wearing them weren't alive then. Hopefully, they're listening to the music.

Site Supporter
    I saw Slayer in concert back in 2017 or 2018 (forget exactly which year). Most of the crowd were middle-age or older and most of the younger folks were there with their parents (or grandparents? ).

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Seeing kids wearing Nirvana t-shirts and realizing that band is now older than the Doors were when Kurt sucked on his shotgun makes me feel really old.
    I know a gen Z child that's stuck in the music of the 60-70's. She thinks hippies are cool. A friend of mine told her that he went to a Led Zeppelin concert and she grilled him for 15 minutes on his experience. Amazing that she doesn't do drugs and communicates well with boomers.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    My 20-something is a Chili Peppers fan. Even owns a turntable and some of their stuff on vinyl.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I know a gen Z child that's stuck in the music of the 60-70's. She thinks hippies are cool. A friend of mine told her that he went to a Led Zeppelin concert and she grilled him for 15 minutes on his experience. Amazing that she doesn't do drugs and communicates well with boomers.
    My grandson will be 10 in a couple of months. His Dad put together a huge playlist of 70s and 80s music that they listen to frequently and he’s given pop quizzes on the song and artist. He’s already become a fan of Journey, Dire Straits, Jim Croce and George Strait. He’s vaguely aware of AC/DC.

He was over last Friday while I was working on a project outside. I said something about Metallica and he said he’d never heard them so I fired up Ride the Lightning. I’m not sure if he was confused or just unimpressed but I could tell it wasn’t clicking with him. I tried a couple of tracks off Bomber and he seemed a little more receptive.

I might have my work cut out for me but I’ll keep trying!
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

To be fair, when I was in HS back in the late 80's, early 90's, a lot of us were into music like the Doors, Led Zep, Rush, Hendrix, and other stuff recorded well before the year of our birth.

Sometimes, the music foisted on your generation just plain sucks.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I feel like that's been the case continuously for about 18 years. 2004 is when I became conscious that the groups getting most of the mainstream play were lame, and it's just stayed that way. Even when badasses like The Black Keys suddenly hit, they completely changed their sound and became lamestream.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post

Without going into a ton of detail, I’ve been teaching one particular group music class for 2 decades. I always ask the students what their favorite, band, genre, song, etc. is, just to break the ice. The ongoing presence of classic rock remains mildly shocking—typically 40 to 60 percent of the class will be in to that stuff. When I comment that it’s not just their parent’s music, but also their *grandparent’s* music, the response is typically, “yeah, but it’s just better than most of the stuff being put out now.”

Their words, not mine.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List