Page 1969 of 3544 FirstFirst ... 96914691869191919591967196819691970197119792019206924692969 ... LastLast
Results 19,681 to 19,690 of 35440

Thread: Make me laugh - the PF memes thread - NO POLITICAL MEMES

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Add to that things like the LA teachers union demanding LA county implement BLMs Marxist agenda as a requirement for opening the schools
    Remember Urbonics? I can't help but wonder if we would have been woke enough back then to fully adopt that we would not be seeing all these problems today.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Yep. I’m pulling my boys out this year. The only real advantage of public schools is the ability for kids to socialize but with distant learning that isn’t going to happen. Add to that things like the LA teachers union demanding LA county implement BLMs Marxist agenda as a requirement for opening the schools and it’s pretty much a no-brainer for me.
    I don’t blame. People can say what they want about the following statement.

On most levels, I’m embarrassed I have a degree. It taught me almost nothing and wasted my time. I would have been better off mastering a couple of foreign languages, basic math, and forming excellent grammar/writing skills. It’s not that I don’t like to learn, I’m more well read than most, but a degree is not an effective way to learn for most people.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I am damn fortunate and many times blessed to have the engineering degree I have, and to have lived and worked in the time and place I did to earn it. I only wish I had learned more and perhaps kept going further than I did.

That said, I don't have to look very far from my own path to see people in very different moccasins.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post

On most levels, I’m embarrassed I have a degree. It taught me almost nothing and wasted my time. I would have been better off mastering a couple of foreign languages, basic math, and forming excellent grammar/writing skills. It’s not that I don’t like to learn, I’m more well read than most, but a degree is not an effective way to learn for most people.
    This is coming very close to making me uncork with a very long rant. Thankfully, my folks are visiting for lunch today, and I don’t have the time. I will, however, go so far as to say that I have amassed a pile of evidence that an advanced degree in my area—and I’m talking anything beyond a BA—is actually detrimental to proficiency. I base this on the fact that the people I know with DMA’s are *generally* less well-rounded stylistically, less adaptive as instructors, and have—at the most—one record album out, while the people that said “F this grad school BS, I’m going to play...” tend to be monster performers, and have a bunch of CDs and concerts under their belts. Time is a limited resource; human concentration is finite. If the discipline has an applied aspect to it, then hands-on work experience rules the roost. If it’s an academic discipline—like RevRob’s sciency stuff, or any sort of history, then the academic work IS the hands-on application, and that’s certainly valuable.

But, yeah, it’s telling that there’s only two guys with a DMA in my specific discipline teaching at the university level in my state, and both DMAs are in a different related areas other than their daily work. The highly visible people in the “academic” community all have piles of CDs, print interviews, and radio/TV appearances, and the powers that be at each major U look the other way on the degree requirements because the public personas and track records are valuable from a recruiting/image/student retention standpoint. Plus the “less-coached” people are just better overall teachers, in general. I could go into why that is, but both lunch, and people being sick of my anti-academia shitposting contraindicate saying more.

JMO. it would be different if I were pre-med, or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    This is coming very close to making me uncork with a very long rant. Thankfully, my folks are visiting for lunch today, and I don’t have the time. I will, however, go so far as to say that I have amassed a pile of evidence that an advanced degree in my area—and I’m talking anything beyond a BA—is actually detrimental to proficiency. I base this on the fact that the people I know with DMA’s are *generally* less well-rounded stylistically, less adaptive as instructors, and have—at the most—one record album out, while the people that said “F this grad school BS, I’m going to play...” tend to be monster performers, and have a bunch of CDs and concerts under their belts. Time is a limited resource; human concentration is finite. If the discipline has an applied aspect to it, then hands-on work experience rules the roost. If it’s an academic discipline—like RevRob’s sciency stuff, or any sort of history, then the academic work IS the hands-on application, and that’s certainly valuable.

But, yeah, it’s telling that there’s only two guys with a DMA in my specific discipline teaching at the university level in my state, and both DMAs are in a different related areas other than their daily work. The highly visible people in the “academic” community all have piles of CDs, print interviews, and radio/TV appearances, and the powers that be at each major U look the other way on the degree requirements because the public personas and track records are valuable from a recruiting/image/student retention standpoint. Plus the “less-coached” people are just better overall teachers, in general. I could go into why that is, but both lunch, and people being sick of my anti-academia shitposting contraindicate saying more.

I love this place a little more every day.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    Sorry, pardon me, I seem to be lost. Thought I was in the MEME thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post

If I could afford to take time off work right now (and it wasn't a pandemic outside the bubble), I'd take a welding class and get a part time job working in a machine shop. Those machine shop guys mint cash out of steel and aluminum. Even the mediocre ones make bank.

Name:  2f83kf.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  35.8 KB
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Reminds me of an old satirewire (Onion type website that died a long time ago):

http://www.satirewire.com/news/0006/...-ellison.shtml

Though their classic still had to be:

http://www.satirewire.com/news/feb02/warship.shtml

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    ...I have amassed a pile of evidence that an advanced degree in my area—and I’m talking anything beyond a BA—is actually detrimental to proficiency.
    Even in engineering, there is a recognized phenomena that certain people end up with advanced degrees for no discernible reason other than that they are useless in the real world, so they just stay in school until forced to leave.

Then there are the PhD's putting things in space...
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List