Page 3452 of 3543 FirstFirst ... 245229523352340234423450345134523453345434623502 ... LastLast
Results 34,511 to 34,520 of 35421

Thread: Make me laugh - the PF memes thread - NO POLITICAL MEMES

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Amateurs. Professionals use gaffer's tape. No wonder the door blew off!
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Site Supporter
    Blue Loctite?
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Site Supporter
    Name:  IMG_0253.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  49.4 KB

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Side issue: There was a plane where a terrorist bomb blow out a hole and a row of seats and passengers went out into the void. A woman in the next row, thanked God for saving her. I wonder if she thought this through. The Almighty looked down and said - WHEE! for those poor folks in the row that got spaced but decided to specifically save her dumb ass.
    Back when Air Florida Flight 90 took off with a load of ice and smacked the 14th St. Bridge, some of us at work were talking about it. Someone said something about God looking out for the survivors. I asked what kind of hard-on did He have for the eighty or so people who got killed.

I heard later that someone went to HR and complained about that. HR went to the facility commander and reported it. The commander thought it over and said "well, she's got a point."
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Back when Air Florida Flight 90 took off with a load of ice and smacked the 14th St. Bridge, some of us at work were talking about it. Someone said something about God looking out for the survivors. I asked what kind of hard-on did He have for the eighty or so people who got killed.

I heard later that someone went to HR and complained about that. HR went to the facility commander and reported it. The commander thought it over and said "well, she's got a point."
    I grew up in a Southern Baptist church. I was even interim worship minister for a little over a year while we were looking for a replacement. I finally had to push the issue and told the church that I would be gone in 2 months.

I've listened to countless sermons and testimonies about the power of intercessory prayer. But I've got to admit having problems with the portrayal of a God who would sit back and let somebody die or suffer because enough people didn't get on their knees and beg for divine intervention.

I still assure people I will pray for them, and if I say I will, I do. I can't say with any certainty that it does any good, but I'm sure it doesn't hurt. If nothing else, it often brings comfort to people in distress.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigguy View Post
    I grew up in a Southern Baptist church. I was even interim worship minister for a little over a year while we were looking for a replacement. I finally had to push the issue and told the church that I would be gone in 2 months.

I've listened to countless sermons and testimonies about the power of intercessory prayer. But I've got to admit having problems with the portrayal of a God who would sit back and let somebody die or suffer because enough people didn't get on their knees and beg for divine intervention.

I still assure people I will pray for them, and if I say I will, I do. I can't say with any certainty that it does any good, but I'm sure it doesn't hurt. If nothing else, it often brings comfort to people in distress.
    If this was a biblical passage I would have it as tattoo (RoyGBiv 1:1)

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/136...-gods-and-they

“Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.” ― Marcus Aurelius
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

The last several posts address something I've thought a lot about.

I don't believe that anyone absolutely knows why God does anything.

I also believe that God created man kind in his image to love mankind and for mankind to love their God. For love to be meaningful, there has to be freewill, the ability to decide to love or not to love. God's gift to those who accept his love and return it is eternal life with Him in Heaven.

In comparison to eternal life, our corporeal existence is but the blink of an eye. I believe God has that perspective and that we as humans, and sinful humans to boot, often times forget that.

As far as answered prayerful entreaties, there are two things at work: 1) God's will and 2) Faith:

Matthew 17:14-20

14 When they came to the crowd, a man approached Jesus and knelt before him. 15 “Lord, have mercy on my son,” he said. “He has seizures and is suffering greatly. He often falls into the fire or into the water. 16 I brought him to your disciples, but they could not heal him.

17 “You unbelieving and perverse generation,” Jesus replied, “how long shall I stay with you? How long shall I put up with you? Bring the boy here to me.” 18 Jesus rebuked the demon, and it came out of the boy, and he was healed at that moment.

19 Then the disciples came to Jesus in private and asked, “Why couldn’t we drive it out?”

20 He replied, “Because you have so little faith. Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.”
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

And remember when demons and beasts cast their darkness, you have God's love - and Browning's wrath - to guide you.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    "Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.” ― Marcus Aurelius
    Sounds very much like Pascal's wager.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by DDTSGM View Post
    As far as answered prayerful entreaties, there are two things at work: 1) God's will and 2) Faith:

Matthew 17:14-20

14 When they came to the crowd, a man approached Jesus and knelt before him. 15 “Lord, have mercy on my son,” he said. “He has seizures and is suffering greatly. He often falls into the fire or into the water. 16 I brought him to your disciples, but they could not heal him.

17 “You unbelieving and perverse generation,” Jesus replied, “how long shall I stay with you? How long shall I put up with you? Bring the boy here to me.” 18 Jesus rebuked the demon, and it came out of the boy, and he was healed at that moment.

19 Then the disciples came to Jesus in private and asked, “Why couldn’t we drive it out?”

20 He replied, “Because you have so little faith. Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.”
    We have an area mega church that goes all-in on faith healing and even made national news when they prayed expecting the resurrection of a dead toddler. The truly horrific part is when even the most faithful's prayers go unanswered, the church just says "clearly you didn't have enough faith" which tends to cause other parishioners to turn away from those grieving & most in need of social support...

User Tag List