Page 2736 of 3541 FirstFirst ... 17362236263626862726273427352736273727382746278628363236 ... LastLast
Results 27,351 to 27,360 of 35405

Thread: Make me laugh - the PF memes thread - NO POLITICAL MEMES

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post

I have a hard time understanding the importance some folks place on genealogy. I have friends and relatives who are consumed by tracing the family roots. I'm of the mind that what's important is who we are in the present.
    My family has dedicated people that has traced our roots all the way back to Germany circa 1700, first immigrant was 1733. The tree is huge. Three books have been written and all of the deceased graves have been found. I did not understand why and still don't to some degree, of the importance of family history but finding out that an ancestor helped write the Declaration of Independence, fought in the revolution and one of us has been in every war since has given me a better understanding about myself and why I do what I do/did.

We have had our horse thieves, bank robbers and murderers, there is even direct linage to a past president but overall, I would say we are a family that is driven to service of country and public service.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Am I racist for laughing at this?
    You are racist regardless.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

My mother did the ancestry rabbit hole including a cross state tour of local cemeteries to find long dead relatives. It was pretty interesting, on her side she was able to find people associated with the Mayflower and the founding of some early pre 1700s towns. Through newspaper obituaries we discovered a family epidemic of getting drunk and drowning in rivers, which might explain my irrational fear of both of those

My father side we were only able to go back to WW2. Talking with an extended Aunt, who had hand me down stories of hiding from the Germans during the occupation of Poland and sneaking out of the continent and heading towards the US. She knew that our current family name is not our original name and sadly that name has been since forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemas2 View Post
    She knew that our current family name is not our original name and sadly that name has been since forgotten.
    Both my and my wife's family surnames' spellings were changed by clerical errors at Ellis Island when our families came over from Europe.

Hers by their dropping a letter...ours by changing an "e" to an "i". The net result is that the spellings don't match those of family members still in Europe, and that it is easy to overlook records maintained by Immigration if potential spelling changes / errors are not accounted for.

Fans of the HBO show "The Sopranos" will remember Phil Leotardo cursing Immigration for their changing his surname from "Leonardo" to "Leotardo".

Skip ahead to about 1 minute in for a great laugh...

There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    I did not understand why and still don't to some degree, of the importance of family history but finding out that an ancestor helped write the Declaration of Independence, fought in the revolution and one of us has been in every war since has given me a better understanding about myself and why I do what I do/did.

We have had our horse thieves, bank robbers and murderers, there is even direct linage to a past president but overall, I would say we are a family that is driven to service of country and public service.
    Why? It's just interesting to know. Most of us know who our parents were and if they did/saw/involved in anything famous we usually point it out in conversations.

Majority of us know our grandparents and their stories. Some of us know or knew our great grandparents and we could probably tell stories of the amazing things they went through. It's like your own personal history channel

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Both my and my wife's family surnames' spellings were changed by clerical errors at Ellis Island when our families came over from Europe.
    Mom's side of the family had quite a lot of that happen at Ellis. Several groups arrived at Ellis on different ships, with the same surnames and left Ellis with several different surnames. Some shortened rather dramatically, from 9 letters to 4. I had several uncles with similar, but not the same, names.

On dad's side, there was a series of events, from Ellis to the Great Depression, that led to me being the first person in my family born with my surname.

I'm just a mutt, really.

Name:  what-i-imagine-ellis-island-was-like-68272.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  54.2 KB
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    My family has dedicated people that has traced our roots all the way back to Germany circa 1700, first immigrant was 1733. The tree is huge. Three books have been written and all of the deceased graves have been found. I did not understand why and still don't to some degree, of the importance of family history but finding out that an ancestor helped write the Declaration of Independence, fought in the revolution and one of us has been in every war since has given me a better understanding about myself and why I do what I do/did.

Yours begin with an M, and have a woman named Dolly in it?
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Name:  D6AADD3B-83D0-4779-94BB-8EB90C2B6955.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  40.4 KB
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Name:  C0C360CA-542B-43FB-AC10-EA20E34627FA.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  40.9 KB
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Obtaining a sample is one thing. Grab a napkin out of the trash bin at McDonald's.
    Matching it to the unknown owner is entirely another.
    Have you ever given blood, or had your blood drawn for testing, or have had a biopsy taken, or gone in for surgery? There's your DNA, tagged to your ID and medical records.

If you're tinfoil enough to suspect Ancestry, why not suspect LabCorp?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List