Page 2439 of 3533 FirstFirst ... 143919392339238924292437243824392440244124492489253929393439 ... LastLast
Results 24,381 to 24,390 of 35321

Thread: Make me laugh - the PF memes thread - NO POLITICAL MEMES

In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Then, the dragons came.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

On an exceptionally hot evening early in July a young man came out of the garret in which he lodged in S. Place and walked slowly, as though in hesitation, towards K. bridge. And then the dragons arrived.
    -Crime and punishment

It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen. And then the dragons arrived.

A merry little surge of electricity piped by automatic alarm from the mood organ beside his bed awakened Rick Deckard. And then the dragons arrived.
    -Do androids dream of electric sheep

In these times of ours, though concerning the exact year there is no need to be precise, a boat of dirty and disreputable appearance, with two figures in it, floated on the Thames, between Southwark bridge which is of iron, and London Bridge which is of stone, as an autumn evening was closing in. And then the dragons arrived.
    -The Pickwick Papers

It was a bright, defrosted, pussy-willow day at the onset of spring, and the newlyweds were driving cross-country in a large roast turkey. And then the dragons arrived.
    -Skinny legs and all
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Tried to figure out which Parker novel had the best opening line for this...so many to choose from...

The Rare Coin Score (1967): “Parker spent two weeks on the white sand beach at Biloxi, and on a white sandy bitch named Belle, but he was restless, and one day without thinking about it he checked out and sent a forwarding address to Handy McKay and moved on to New Orleans. And then the dragons arrived."
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Tried to figure out which Parker novel had the best opening line for this...so many to choose from...
    When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man. Then came the dragons.
    -Firebreak
    Last edited by MistWolf; 06-27-2021 at 03:02 AM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife. Until the dragons arrive.
    -Pride and Prejudice
    Last edited by MistWolf; 06-27-2021 at 03:07 AM.

“We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold. I remember saying something like "I feel a bit lightheaded; maybe you should drive...." And suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us and then the dragons came, swooping and screeching and diving around the car, which was going about a hundred miles an hour with the top down to Las Vegas.”
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of light, it was the season of darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair. It was when the dragons came.

A Tale of Two Cities
    I was going to go simply with "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. And then the dragons arrived."

"PART ONE
    CHIBA CITY BLUES

The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel. And then the dragons arrived."

William Gibson, Neuromancer

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel. And then the dragons arrived."

William Gibson, Neuromancer
    That was going to be mine.
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Two tires fly. Two wail.
    A bamboo grove, all chopped down
    From it, warring songs
    Then the dragons arrived

-Neal Stephenson, Cyptonomicon

Hopefully that doesn't cause too much Forest Whitaker eye from you Haiku nerds

Quote Originally Posted by Andy in NH
    I remember this poster at Spencer Gifts in the late '80s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Chicks dig squarebody Chevys.
    Spencers......The shit they packed into those stores, and sold!!!!
    Thanks for that memory!
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

User Tag List