Page 2893 of 3516 FirstFirst ... 18932393279328432883289128922893289428952903294329933393 ... LastLast
Results 28,921 to 28,930 of 35157

Thread: Make me laugh - the PF memes thread - NO POLITICAL MEMES

Speaking of watches

Name:  New generation.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  68.5 KB
    Dean,
    “The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine
    "The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."- Antonio Meloni

Name:  Dept of agriculture.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  33.4 KB
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by baddean View Post
    Speaking of watches

Name:  New generation.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  68.5 KB
    I recently executed a perfect no-rollback, no-over-rev, no-tire-spin, uphill manual transmission clutch release from a stop sign. My teenage son was in the car with me.

We concluded that taking pride in a skill that nobody needs anymore is pretty much the definition of "Boomer".

I went to the range and practiced with my pump shotgun and revolver to feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by Edster View Post
    I recently executed a perfect no-rollback, no-over-rev, no-tire-spin, uphill manual transmission clutch release from a stop sign. My teenage son was in the car with me.

We concluded that taking pride in a skill that nobody needs anymore is pretty much the definition of "Boomer".

I went to the range and practiced with my pump shotgun and revolver to feel better.
    Master-level post.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Master-level post.
    Concur.

And, hell, if someone has: a manual transmission car, a pump gun, some revolvers, and a range membership, they’re probably living a good life.

PS.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Edster View Post

I learned to drive as a 14 year old on an old Ford stick shift. I would shift up through the gears and double clutch down through the gears into first on the length of the driveway. Then when I was taking drivers ed, the car we used was a Chevy with a 3 speed on the column. One time I pulled up to a stop sign on a hill and double clutched down into first and held the car at the stop sign by slipping the clutch and using the throttle. Pretty fun for a 16 year old, however the instructor was not amused. I'm a Boomer. No meme. Get off my lawn.

Name:  Meme - spider hair clip.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  18.7 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    I learned to drive as a 14 year old on an old Ford stick shift. I would shift up through the gears and double clutch down through the gears into first on the length of the driveway. Then when I was taking drivers ed, the car we used was a Chevy with a 3 speed on the column. One time I pulled up to a stop sign on a hill and double clutched down into first and held the car at the stop sign by slipping the clutch and using the throttle. Pretty fun for a 16 year old, however the instructor was not amused. I'm a Boomer. No meme. Get off my lawn.
    The first vehicle I drove was a an automatic chevy that my dad used as a taxi. I was about 11-years-old and this was far out in the country.
    Later, we moved to a small, rural town and the next vehicle I drove was a stick pickup. It was a friend's dad's with a reversed column shift. (The guy was a poacher and wanted his right had free to fire the rifle while shifting and using the spotlight with his left.)
    Then My father bought a little Nissan manual Pickup with four on the floor. That was my ride for years.
    By tenth grade, I was working for a grain storage facility that also sold fertilizer. We had to use larger trucks with high/low range settings. That gave us up to ten gears if we wanted to show off and run through them all. (Most of the time we could stay in low-range and only shift four times. But where's the fun in that?)
    My son started riding motorcycles with us as soon as he was old enough for a license. (Honda Shadow) So of course, he was familiar with gears and shifting. The first vehicle he bought was a Pathfinder. There was a manual version of the car at the dealership for MUCH less money. He asked me if I thought he could learn to drive it. I reminded him that his motorcycle was standard and that he was already familiar with shifting and a clutch. He later told me he felt at home with it before he was two blocks from the dealership. The next two vehicles he bought he purposely searched for a manual. He liked the control it gave him.
    I miss those days. My most recent vehicle is a 2012 Highlander. Even at ten years old, the damn thing thinks it knows more about driving than I do. It doesn't give me options as it decides what gears we use, how much brakes to apply, or how much power to apply to an individual wheel. But they are solid and robust. They don't get temperamental about slack maintenance or abuse.
    I drove BMWs before driving this. There is a huge difference, but both have their advantages.
    The thing is, driving the Highlander feels like dragging a dead pig through the mud. But it is solid and robust. The Beemers are a joy to drive ... AFTER ... I spend a crap ton of money on maintenance and repairs. Or do it myself. There was a time when I took pride in that. I'm looking at retirement and the time and money spent on tools and equipment seem more arduous now. At 66, I'm starting to appreciate the pig.
    Last edited by Bigguy; 05-13-2022 at 10:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigguy View Post
    My most recent vehicle is a 2012 Highlander. Even at ten years old, the damn thing thinks it knows more about driving than I do. It doesn't give me options as it decides what gears we use, how much brakes to apply, or how much power to apply to an individual wheel. But they are solid and robust. They don't get temperamental about slack maintenance or abuse.
    I drove BMWs before and driving this.
    The thing is, driving the Highlander feels like dragging a dead pig through the mud. But it is solid and robust. The Beemers are a joy to drive ... AFTER ... I spend a crap ton of money on maintenance and repairs. Or do it myself. There was a time when I took pride in that. I'm looking at retirement and the money spent of tools and equipment seem more arduous now. At 66, I'm starting to appreciate the pig.
    I have the same gen Highlander. When the chips are down, and the streets look like the set of “Ice Road Truckers,” it’s pretty damn hard to beat.

That said, I’m eying another motorcycle again, because, engagement with a machine. All to say, I feel you.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I have the same gen Highlander. When the chips are down, and the streets look like the set of “Ice Road Truckers,” it’s pretty damn hard to beat.

That said, I’m eying another motorcycle again, because, engagement with a machine. All to say, I feel you.
    Yep, the year before we bought the Highlander, we had an ice storm. My old 4x4 Tahoe wouldn't start, so I took the 4x2 Silverado to work. The trip in and home were horror stories. I'm thinking I could have slept through the same commute in the Highlander.

User Tag List