Page 2590 of 3517 FirstFirst ... 15902090249025402580258825892590259125922600264026903090 ... LastLast
Results 25,891 to 25,900 of 35162

Thread: Make me laugh - the PF memes thread - NO POLITICAL MEMES

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Did you ever find the parenting manual? Almost 18 years later and we still can't find ours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    No, I never expected a manual but my previous life experiences and education utterly lacked anything related to babies. With both my wife’s and my parents being far away and borderline or across the border crazy people there was little support and passing of knowledge. My life has also lacked mentors.

We were saved by my wife’s best friend from high school who is a midwife and stayed with us for the first 2 or 3 days. Two is a small number but it is a lot of babies.

Shit is still hard but different and maybe I am older and more broken down.

The Mrs. and I have always said that they hand you your child, and it's 'have a nice time'...
    If there was/is a manual, we didn't get ours either, 26 years ago.
    There's something very humbling,in retrospect, about being a parent.

We often have an unspoken snicker when we see someone with a newborn. The snicker is mostly about the sleep deprivation and frustration of those first 3 months...
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    It was probably Statistical Physics/Thermodynamics. Boltzmann, Ehrenfest, and several other prominent early contributors to the theory committed suicide. Some point to the fact that a lot of the early work was not accepted at large and even derided, some to the idea that there is still a profound issue relating to logical inconsistencies surround the 2nd law, and some to the fact that a lot of the subject is very profound and dense while being hard to grasp/not at all intuitive.
    Statistical mechanics was my favorite class in grad school.

That class paid off in an odd way. About 10 years ago, I was working for the Army, and I had to become a member of the Army Acquisition Corps to get a promotion. This is mostly a meaningless certification but, being an engineering major focuses on engineering, I was lacking enough business classes from college to get it. The people reviewing the applications were pretty generous and would try to give us credit for any classes that could plausibly be related to business. They considered statistics to be a business math class, so when I submitted my application to join the Acquisition Corps, they credited my statistical mechanics course as a business course. I was going to point out that statistical mechanics had --zero-- to do with business, but in a moment of brilliance, I kept my mouth shut.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    No, I never expected a manual but my previous life experiences and education utterly lacked anything related to babies. With both my wife’s and my parents being far away and borderline or across the border crazy people there was little support and passing of knowledge. My life has also lacked mentors.

We were saved by my wife’s best friend from high school who is a midwife and stayed with us for the first 2 or 3 days. Two is a small number but it is a lot of babies.

Shit is still hard but different and maybe I am older and more broken down.
    I had a very brief moment of panic during the latter part of the wife's pregnancy, but got over it when I convinced my self that... humans have been successfully reproducing and caring for their offspring for millennia, I'm at least average and probably above average intelligence, and as long as I don't make any of the obvious mistakes (water, fire, freezing, dropping) I should be fairly successful at the whole kid thing. So far he's made it to 14 years, and he's not a liberal, so there's at least that.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Site Supporter
    The most afraid I've been, ever, was the first few hours after we brought home our firstborn.

My MIL showed up that afternoon. Thank God.

Name:  a8ae8da037b93a63c9468cfb7af605cc.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  43.7 KB
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

The youngest boy and his wife are expecting their first in about 6 weeks. Those are going in the family chat text group…😈
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Did nobody else wear 'Toughskin' pants? Not sure who made them but they were some kind of burlap/sandpaper combo. It was the only thing my Mom let me wear outside for a number of years. Pretty good preventative for scrapes and abrasions, mostly because it was too uncomfortable to run or bend over while wearing them to have much chance of falling.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Quote Originally Posted by DC_P View Post
    Did nobody else wear 'Toughskin' pants? Not sure who made them but they were some kind of burlap/sandpaper combo. It was the only thing my Mom let me wear outside for a number of years. Pretty good preventative for scrapes and abrasions, mostly because it was too uncomfortable to run or bend over while wearing them to have much chance of falling.
    Of course we did.
    They were 1 step up from a burlap sack, and could debrade you until they broke in..... Which is just about when they were handed down to my younger brother.
    Sears put them out.

Don't forget about 'Roebucks' jeans as well.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Yep, Sears. My grandmother worked as a call taker in the catalog department (remember those?) for 20 years or so. Everything in their house was Kenmore and any new tools my grandfather got were Craftsman. Most of my Christmas presents came from the Sears Wish Book and Mom took me directly to my grandmother’s store for most of my clothes.

Dang. When I stop and think about it, I sort of miss those days…
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by Cacafuego View Post
    That was the laugh that we had when a OBGYN friend, looked at the kid to make sure they didn't need stitches. We said thank you and he responded, no big deal, I look at gashes all day.

Heck, I tried to buy some in my mid 20's, when I was working in a garage.

I wore a bunch of them out.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List