Page 1643 of 3539 FirstFirst ... 64311431543159316331641164216431644164516531693174321432643 ... LastLast
Results 16,421 to 16,430 of 35389

Thread: Make me laugh - the PF memes thread - NO POLITICAL MEMES

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    https://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/d...097793398.html

Honestly, I don’t think it’s overpriced for what it is.
    My bro had a XK 120 way back when. He bought it for a song. Never got to drive it much because it always had an electrical problem somewhere. I drove that car fast a few times and I will never forget that experience. A few things to know. They burn a lot of oil, the sump holds 9 quarts and they leak. Carbs are hard to tune.

I don't think the price of the car would be my primary consideration if I wanted one. I would have to locate a good Jag mechanic and have them evaluate it. Then ask them what they would charge to keep it tuned up. It won't be cheap. Oh, and parts. Never mind.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    There’s an old Side Glances column on “Buying an old Jaguar” that includes:
    “...If you’ve never seen an exploded drawing of a Jaguar rear end, try to imagine an aerial depiction of China in which each person represents a shim, gasket, stud, locknut, spacer, spider gear, or bearing. Then imagine yourself, director’s megaphone in hand, trying to organize them all into some sort of differential folk dance. The shims alone defy census.”
    That sounds like classic Peter Egan.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    They burn a lot of oil, the sump holds 9 quarts and they leak.
    I never had a Jag but had sever more humble British cars. Legend was they would sit them on the showroom floor with drip pans under them.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    From personal experience, nice shiny looking British cars from the 60's can be damn expensive sink holes.

I'd have to look at it but from the pictures although it looks "original" much trouble could easily be lurking underneath. I dunno if it's over priced or not but I sure as heck would have an E-type dude look it over.
    Ain't gonna argue with that one. Hell our 1972 MGB will always be a tinker toy, no matter how much my dad, a restoration mechanic, and I have gone through it. Currently needs a brake booster and tires, and possibly some more electrical wiring massage work. Oh, and maybe oil, since it does have a tiny leak still.
    Just looking at the pictures sets off my spidey senses that, this "looker" ain't all that pretty under the skin.

ETA: old british cars are like horses and boats... the buy-in is cheap, but the up keep can be murderous.
    Last edited by hufnagel; 03-29-2020 at 08:28 AM.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Having owned, and loved, a few British cars the electricals tend to be their weak spot.

All praise be to Lucas, prince of darkness! Inventor of the really intermittent wiper, self dimming headlight, and the three position Lucas switch – Dim, Flicker and Off. They say British mechanics love their warm beer - their refrigerators are, of course, made by Lucas. I've heard too Lucas tried to make a vacuum cleaner. It was their only product that didn't suck...

Try the veal, tip your waitress, and, if you're driving a British car, remember to get home before dark!

Seriously I love British cars but their quality control, even in high end models, could be very spotty. The most reliable Jags were probably the early 90's Ford era ones. Reliability or not though the E Types are gorgeous and I'd love to have one for weekend driving.

Ladies, if you want a man who's into deep, committed relationships, find one who continues to own and work on an old british car; they're in it for the long haul!
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    Ain't gonna argue with that one. Hell our 1972 MGB will always be a tinker toy, no matter how much my dad, a restoration mechanic, and I have gone through it. Currently needs a brake booster and tires, and possibly some more electrical wiring massage work. Oh, and maybe oil, since it does have a tiny leak still.
    Just looking at the pictures sets off my spidey senses that, this "looker" ain't all that pretty under the skin.
    Good call.

Apocryphal, but the story goes at a 50's British sports car race, Brands Hatch maybe, of the two English Corner workers reacting to introduction of the new red and yellow new signal flag:

ANNOUNCER "Ever at the forefront of motoring technology, the British were the first automotive racing organization who developed the famed "oil on track" signal flag..."

WORKER: "Or needed to..." went the whispered phrase afterwards.

Obligatory Meme (seems appropriate )

Name:  lucas.jpg
Views: 927
Size:  29.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Good call.

Apocryphal, but the story goes at a 50's British sports car race, Brands Hatch maybe, of the two English Corner workers reacting to introduction of the new red and yellow new signal flag:

ANNOUNCER "Ever at the forefront of motoring technology, the British were the first automotive racing organization who developed the famed "oil on track" signal flag..."

WORKER: "Or needed to..." went the whispered phrase afterwards.

Obligatory Meme (seems appropriate )

Size:  29.8 KB
    A wise and proper purchase! As we learned back in Navy 'A' school: all things electric or electronic run on magic smoke. Let the smoke out and circuits just stop working. It's Aristotlean deduction it is.

Talk of Jag XKE always reminds me of the scene in this movie;

Name:  354CB1A7-1DF2-4A0E-B4CC-9B8422F145E9.jpg
Views: 910
Size:  18.2 KB

Size:  29.8 KB[/QUOTE]

Any machine is a smoke machine if you operate it wrong enough.

User Tag List