Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pull ups

Pull ups

Just shy of 40 years ago, my wife and I first met rock climbing, and climbing was our main activity. As part of that, we did a lot of training on the rock, in climbing gyms and on hang boards. Not surprisingly, we could both do a lot of pull ups. My wife was stronger than me, and could do five one arm pull ups. We stopped climbing 25 years ago when I injured a tendon in my finger, and stopped that kind of training.

When my wife had shoulder surgery four months ago, they cut her deltoid muscle. She has been progressing well since. In December she saw her physical therapist in Bozeman, and he said "send me a video" when you do your first pull up. We discussed that, and decided we should buy a pull up bar, and finally got that assembled just over a week ago.

I decided that I should start pull ups as well, after a friend sent me a video of him doing ten pull ups. Best as I can remember, it was 25 years since I did a pull up. My first time I hung from the bar, I felt like a helpless beached whale and couldn't do a single pull up from a dead hang. I was infuriated at the prospect of getting old and not being able to do pull ups!

The next day I grabbed the bar and did "one." Better than the day before, but barely better. The next day, I did two. The following day, I did three. Puzzled, I called a PT friend and he said this was normal and I was retraining my body how to do pull ups. He said to expect continued progress. The next day, I did four. Following day, I did five. Next day I did six from a dead hang. Next day I did seven, and thought this is getting better. Pretty excited, yesterday I tried again but could only do seven again.

I decided I am going to have to train smarter and alternate between pull ups one day, then a rest day, then pull ups again. My near term goal is ten, with a stretch goal of 15 pull ups.

I have really enjoyed this process so far and hope to make pull ups a regular part of my fitness regimen. My wife is making progress towards that first pull up, and as competitive as she is, I have no doubt she will be kicking my ass in no time.

Who out there is doing pull ups and what are your thoughts?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

A friend of mine has redpointed 7a+/12a outside several times. She can't do a single pull up. I am curious how much of it is just lack of proper form/familiarity with the motion.

Pull-ups are still a part of my daily fitness regiment. Typically just a couple sets of 15. I always reached a plateau around 18-20 reps. And doing more volume never seemed to allow me to break through it. Adding weighted reps (or doing slow negatives, or both) was always key getting to the next level. Similarly, benching heavier always seemed to be the most efficient way for me to build higher volume push-ups. Same concept.

BTW, I much prefer using rings (or a set of Metolius rock rings or the like) vs just a standard bar. I feel like allowing a bit of humeral rotation creates less overuse/impingement issues over the long haul.

After 35+ years of devotion to pull-ups, I'm stronger than ever on them. I'll be 54 next month and recently did 21 at 232 bodyweight. My all time rep PR was 24 (in my 20s), but that was at only 205 BW, so I'd say I'm better now.

These days I train them once a week for 6-10 sets, mostly weighted.

I need to work them back in to my workout. A few years ago I could do five with a 35 lb plate.

Dont train them regularly but often enough to generalize:

10-14 reps with no weight

5 - 10 reps with 25lbs

I need to up my pu game......

Anyone have good sets/reps/how often training programs?
    Don’t just sit there – do something short sighted and stupid!

You may already be aware.

Might get quicker gains if you have access to a lat pull down machine, you can do less than body weight possibly with higher reps. And eventually progress to more than body weight.

I believe there are also assisted pull up devices that can negate some of your body weight, but you can do similar with a low chin up bar or stable platform so your legs can assist.

And you can always hang weights from a belt or use a weight vest to add more than body weight to pull ups.

I also would want at least 2 days recovery if your doing multiple sets, which I would strongly recommend doing over single set.

Another thing is everyone should do it, but especially for those of us (most definitely myself) that are getting older or well past getting, doing some lighter/easier sets for warm up before going for heavier or more difficult level not only prevents injury and other woes, but IME a warmed up muscle is stronger than a cold one.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post

I believe there are also assisted pull up devices that can negate some of your body weight, but you can do similar with a low chin up bar or stable platform so your legs can assist.
    The only time I could do more than 2 or 3 pull ups I used an assisted pull up machine. I was TDY in Saudi Arabia in 1996. After work, I'd ride the stationary bike for 30-40 minutes, do my pull ups, and walk. At first, I was only lifting 20% of my body weight(I weighed 220 lbs). 90 days later I was able to do 20 pull ups. Then I came home and lost the muscle/strength I had gained.
    --Jason--

Site Supporter
    I’ve been doing pull ups and chin ups for about the last year or two.

I was looking at grip training stuff (captain of crush or comparable products), and it ended in some intense tennis elbow, etc.

I honestly came to the conclusion certain activities that were not so isolated were probably best. I did 6 chin ups and then 6 pull up today. My progress is much slower and it took over a year. But who cares - that’s better than what it was.

Chin ups, pull ups, dips, rowing machine, etc. those things help with grips with out RSI-esque effects.

Grips are very important for Jiu Jitsu as well. I had an insanely strong grip when grappling (for me) and no RSI stuff.

I’d say farmer carries may make sense as well.

Anyway - long winded way of saying “Yes” and the background on “Why”.
    God Bless,

Brandon

You may know this already, but when doing pullups, look straight ahead, keeping your spine aligned, rather than looking up at the bar. (Same for doing other exercises like pushups)

Looking up, and getting the spine out of line, will make the muscles in the upper torso less efficient, and you'll get fewer reps. That's not just a "hack" for bragging rights about reps. More reps means more time under tension, and faster improvement.

Years ago I was coming off an injury, and trying to hit 15 dead hang pullups, which prior to the injury had been easy to beat by several reps. I was stuck at 14, and had a PT test coming up. A buddy showed me that trick, and I immediately added 2 reps to my max. Now I look straight ahead, and keep my spine straight.

You all have motivated me with this thread. I've been slacking off on pullups, and would struggle to get 10 right now.

User Tag List