Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: QUIT DRINKING ALCOHOL NOW

QUIT DRINKING ALCOHOL NOW

My Wife has a Facebook page and goes on a retired Corrections Officers section where guys and gals I worked with have a page.

Wow... they meet for breakfast once a week talk about the walking dead ... overweight and way too much booze.

War stories about how you use to be a bad ass will do nothing for you in a Street fight now.

Ever since I got sick as shit from covid in jan2020, i have had this strange aversion to alcohol. I kind of miss the idea of my favorite cocktails, but not enough to even remotely want to consume one. Overall I think I’m better without alcohol.

When it came to booze, I definitely had a champagne diet on a beer budget. I loved all the craft beers, nice cocktails, etc, etc.

But then a child happened, and another one next month. Add in some old injuries and my math says that alcohol contributes exactly zero good things to my life. It's easier to start a weekend morning and jump into a workout or playing with my son. Mind you, I wasn't getting blacked out; but I noticed that even two or three drinks over a few hours affected my enjoyment of the next day.

I am still planning on having a cocktail or two when I can tie that to a true "experience" ie travel, wedding/funeral, and the like. But random weekend hangouts and holiday parties, the (personal) math just does not exist.

https://www.raptitude.com/2017/05/fi...r-four-months/
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I quit a few years ago. It's not like my kid was sitting by the saddest birthday cake ever asking, "Mummy, where's father?" But when you start to think you might be drinking too much, the answer is yes.

Conversely, I started eating more, so I somehow managed to quit drinking but get fatter.

Hammertime
    So I tried alcohol for the first time in my 50s. I liked the very interesting flavors of bourbon.

I also distinctly noticed that I never felt better and often worse the morning after even one ounce of alcohol in the evening.

I quit.

The first time I had alcohol was in college. A friend had a bottle of port, and I drank a couple of small glasses. After the second glass, I wondered how I was supposed to turn the strange feeling off. That was it for me. It always amazes me when parents say, “My kids went to bed, and we had a few drinks.” What the hell happens when your kids have an emergency?

All things in moderation.

I drink around once a month. Strictly high(er) end stuff now, since my volume is so low. Bourbon, scotch, whiskey in general or red wine. I like alcohol. I even enjoy being a little tipsy/drunk.

What I do not enjoy is being hungover. I haven't been hungover in years and I moderate my alcohol consumption to make sure that doesn't happen. I'm such a cheap date these days, two glasses of wine or a shot and a half of bourbon and I'm done, so it isn't really a problem overall.

My round shape and fat is not due to alcohol. It's due to the other kinds of poison junk I consume, like corn syrup flavored sodas, candies, lots of sugar loaded carbs. You know - fucking garbage. Cutting that shit out and going to red meat, eggs, moderate amounts of green veggies, H2O, coffee, and real milk appears to be the correct solution.

As a general rule, the value of advice presented in a YouTube video is inversely proportional to the amount of capitalization and hyperbole in the title.

No.

Seriously, prohibitionists of any sort are the worst. "Don't smoke, don't drink, don't own machine guns, don't fornicate" are all branches from the same tree.

Don't touch the stuff.

I just don't like not being sharp.

I will never understand why people choose to use substances that alter their cognitive state. To each their own I guess.

User Tag List