Thread: Current State of Palmetto.

Current State of Palmetto.

Seizing on the PF trend of "current state of..." What's everyone think about Palmetto?

I noticed a lot of youtuber types making videos about there products over the last several months. My immediate thought is that these guys are paid spokesmen. And some of them probably are. But when I started looking at what Palmetto has to offer nowadays I was pretty surprised. Seems like they're either driving or hopping on board with a lot of the "cool" trends at the moment. It also seems like they have a pretty good handle on what guns people are interested in but can't seem to get, and they're doing a decent job at getting that stuff to market. Hell, at shot show this year it seemed like they had more interesting new stuff coming down the line than any of the "name brand" companies.

Their offerings are crazy. They seemingly make everything. Budget ARs and regular ARs (some with FN barrels), 1911s, unique piston ARs, Large frame ARs, Glock clones, AKs and AKMs. Plus, H&R stuff like A2s, A1s, XM177, 733s, 635s, 723s... Uppers and complete rifles. Are they all in perfect configurations, no. But they're offer more for retro cool ARs than damn near anyone else. At least on par with Brownells I think, possibly surpassing them. Aside from the H&R stuff there is also a clone of the Mk12 in a few variations, Their take on the M110 comes in forged and billet, They have and M110A1 look alike that's not even similar, but obviously has interested buyers. Seemingly with everything large frame offered in 6.5creedmoor and .308 billet or forged. Crap I forgot they have PCCs as well...

It really seems like PSA is doing better than other brands at seeing where there is a hole in the market, and bringing something to it. For instance, the fixed carry handle ARs in popular movies like Black Hawk Down, Blood Diamond, and HEAT were starting to get difficult to come by but enjoy a lot of popularity from youtube audiences. Next thing you know, PSA has a huge new line up. American AKs? Seems like they're the only cats getting it done without enormous price tag. It just seems like they're doing stuff nobody else is.

...and they're American made? And they now own an ammo company? Damn impressive.

I remember when they were a poor quality AR maker and not much else. Their core tenant is is to make more firearms "In common use". And honestly, seems like they're doing it. The availability of ARs to Americans at a price point they can manage has drastically changed since Palmetto started in 2008. I also think it's obvious that the cheapest ARs of today are a heck of a lot better than the cheapest ARs of yesteryear. I have to at least partially credit PSA for that. I think they're one of the biggest names in "budget" ARs. I guess the question in my mind is QA/QC. They obviously arent BCM or Colt for ARs, Meridian for AKs, or Dan Wesson for 1911s. I'm definitely interested in buying one of their M110 clones, and tossing a Primary Arms or something on it. That seems like the best entryway into large ARs. It's hard to judge reality from youtube, but it seems like the M110s can hold accuracy and can have issues with gas or mags. But oh yeah... they have a 100% lifetime warranty and a reputation for awesome customer service.

Frankly, I'm a bit blown away by what has happened to that crummy AR manufacturer I remember. American made, great warranty, offer everything, budget and standard pricing, innovation, and ammunition... Damn. Did I just become a PSA fan?

What do you guys think, and is there anything you guys like from them? Post links because if anyone clicks them and buys stuff it'll help LL with the cost of running PF.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I think they are great! They are the closest to cracking the nut on producing a decent domestic AK and they will be bringing steel cased AK ammo to the market very soon. For AK nerds like myself, I really appreciate their efforts as imported rifles and ammo are just a pen away from extinction.

Had a chance the other day to fondle a Jackal. I didn't get to shoot it or use it hard, but it seemed really nice. If I didn't already have too many guns, I would want to pick one up. As far as ARs go, they may not be top tier but they have put a lot of ARs into people hands who wouldn't have been able to had it just been the ABC days. While I don't own any of their rifles or uppers, I have used their parts and they all worked as advertised. And as for us AR (or AK) snobs, I don't think their low end rifles are cutting into the market, rather serving as a entry point. I have ZERO problem recommending their rifles.

As you mention, part of their mission is to make affordable "modern guns" in part to ensure such rifles are in "common use."

Again, I appreciate their efforts...

I like PSA for all the reasons mentioned--especially their ammo (and primer?) manufacturing.

My experience with their guns is limited. I have a few PSA lowers and so far they have been as good as any other forged lower. I bought a 7.5" 300 BLK upper for the seemingly ridiculous price of $150 (no BCG or CH). The handguard was cheap and flimsy so I threw it in the trash and bought one that cost as much as the upper. The gas block shot loose, and I had to tighten the screws and use red Locktite. Other than that, it's been reliable and accurate.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I like PSA for all the reasons mentioned--especially their ammo (and primer?) manufacturing.

My experience with their guns is limited. I have a few PSA lowers and so far they have been as good as any other forged lower. I bought a 7.5" 300 BLK upper for the seemingly ridiculous price of $150 (no BCG or CH). The handguard was cheap and flimsy so I threw it in the trash and bought one that cost as much as the upper. The gas block shot loose, and I had to tighten the screws and use red Locktite. Other than that, it's been reliable and accurate.
    I had a very similar journey with (I suspect) the same model 7.5” 300 BLK upper. Mine came with a CH and BCG for $299.
    I never used the CH or BCG (the gas key was poorly staked, BTW - I could easily turn the screws with an Allen wrench).
    The gas block leaked significantly from the get-go. I’ve since replaced the gas block and handguard. I’ll run it a bit on the stripped PSA lower I recently acquired and see how it works. From my memory, it was WAY overgassed with supersonic ammo.

I truly hope that PSA’s quality control has improved in the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    I had a very similar journey with (I suspect) the same model 7.5” 300 BLK upper. Mine came with a CH and BCG for $299.
    I never used the CH or BCG (the gas key was poorly staked, BTW - I could easily turn the screws with an Allen wrench).
    The gas block leaked significantly from the get-go. I’ve since replaced the gas block and handguard. I’ll run it a bit on the stripped PSA lower I recently acquired and see how it works. From my memory, it was WAY overgassed with supersonic ammo.

I truly hope that PSA’s quality control has improved in the last few years.
    Ugh. That's a hassle. At least my gas block didn't leak, and is slightly undergassed for unsuppressed subs. It's perfect for unsuppressed supers.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    they have a 100% lifetime warranty and a reputation for awesome customer service.
    I haven't purchased much from them but recently I bought 2 of their 15rnd Glock 48 (and others) mags. Both failed to lock back on empty within a single range trip, a problem that seemed to be related to spring tension. I contacted them, they sent me a return shipping label and 3(!) replacement mags.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    they will be bringing steel cased AK ammo to the market very soon.
    I'd rather they focus on brass cased ammo since we can't shoot steel cased stuff around here anymore. You could probably get away with it if you can prove the bullet doesn't have a steel core, but some of the range fudds only pay attention to the case. Steel Case? No Go!

It doesn't really affect me one way or the other, but my buddy hasn't been able to take his SKSes out for a couple years now.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I'd rather they focus on brass cased ammo since we can't shoot steel cased stuff around here anymore. You could probably get away with it if you can prove the bullet doesn't have a steel core, but some of the range fudds only pay attention to the case. Steel Case? No Go!

It doesn't really affect me one way or the other, but my buddy hasn't been able to take his SKSes out for a couple years now.

Chris
    None of the steel cased 762x39 on the market today has a steel core. The old green/yellow box ChiCom and 545 spam cans did, but sadly that is a long time ago in a galaxy far far away. What makes the bullets attract a magnet is their jackets are usually copper washed mild steel. Actually a fair amount of 762 NATO rounds have the same “bi-metal” jackets but since they are brass cased non-commie rounds, they don’t attract suspicion. I would think/hope that the Palmeto 762x39 have full copper jackets. That said, yeah - good luck convincing the range Fudds of that.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    None of the steel cased 762x39 on the market today has a steel core. The old green/yellow box ChiCom and 545 spam cans did, but sadly that is a long time ago in a galaxy far far away. What makes the bullets attract a magnet is their jackets are usually copper washed mild steel. Actually a fair amount of 762 NATO rounds have the same “bi-metal” jackets but since they are brass cased non-commie rounds, they don’t attract suspicion. I would think/hope that the Palmeto 762x39 have full copper jackets. That said, yeah - good luck convincing the range Fudds of that.
    I said steel core but misspoke. It's the steel jacket that is the problem because it can cause fires at outdoor ranges. Either way, steel cases garner scrutiny from the ROs and their familiars/sycophants.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I said steel core but misspoke. It's the steel jacket that is the problem because it can cause fires at outdoor ranges. Either way, steel cases garner scrutiny from the ROs and their familiars/sycophants.

Chris
    Yep. Hopefully PSA has taken this into account.

User Tag List