Page 537 of 3533 FirstFirst ... 3743748752753553653753853954758763710371537 ... LastLast
Results 5,361 to 5,370 of 35329

Thread: Make me laugh - the PF memes thread - NO POLITICAL MEMES

Site Supporter
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vending Machine Operator

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    That was also his favorite, I believe.

My dad had the 1945 edition of "Up Front" on his bookshelf until he passed. My brother snaked it away.
    Hah, this brings back memories. When my dad was in the 5th Infantry, they still called his unit “mechanized cavalry”. I still remember all the stories his old buddies would tell me when we went to their unit reunion every year.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    They assign MOSs based on physical characteristics or, (according to "Viktor Suvarov") where you are from, so as to ensure fully manned reserve formations.
    Or used to, things may have changed, as Russia spirals into "failed state-dom."

Yes, our tanks are bigger, taller, to accommodate a population that averages bigger than under-nourished worker peasants.

Driver's seat of the M1 Abrams is essentially a reclined longe chair. I wasn't into moving foxholes (as Willie and Joe noted above, they attract attention), but I never heard any issues with treadheads falling asleep. Maybe our own @Suvarov will weigh in.
    So one of the best schools in the Army is Armor Officer Basic Course. Why? Because in 4 months you will get to learn all the positions in a tank and finish it all off by getting to shoot the tank as a crew in a gunnery qualification (think basic rifle marksmanship qualification with a tank) and a few days of maneuver force on force training. During the qualification all of the brand new LTs will get to Command, Gun, Load, and Drive. By the time you get to your maneuver training - the positions have pretty well been solidified and the same LT would Command, etc for the entire exercise. At least that's how we rolled back in the 1990s. If you were going to a Cavalry Unit you got to stay an extra week for Scout Platoon Leaders Course where you got to run around and play Scout for another 2 weeks. I can only imagine what kind of changes have occurred sine the Benning move. I will say that Armor OBC was probably the most enjoyable period in my life up to that point.

Concerning Russian Tanks - the latest generations of tanks (T-64, T-72, T-80, and T-90) are designed to be as low profile as possible. As a result there is not a lot of room for crew members. The Russians did (and presumably) still do have height restrictions for tank crewmen. As I recall, the limit for enlisted was around 5'8" and officers slightly taller. I remember back when I would tell Russian girls that I was a "Tankist" that the first thing they would remark is that I was way too tall for one, I would then explain that the US tanks were a lot bigger. Earlier Russian tanks such as the T-34 were roomier inside. At OBC my battle buddy and assigned partner was an Egyptian Army Captain who was 6 foot tall and had previously been assigned to T-55s and T-62. The primary reason that the Soviets had women crews was simply that they needed them. The height restrictions were not that big of a deal back in the USSR days as Soviets tended to be smaller stature than Western European counterparts and they could draw heavily upon the central Asian republics whenever smaller men were needed. Interestingly enough, the Serbs and Croats build their own T-72 knock offs and they are known for being GIANTS, even by US standards.

As Drang has mentioned, the drivers seat in the Abrams is reclined considerably. They tell us that it was designed after the pilot seat in the F-16 but I think that is more for recruiting purposes than anything else. This allows the hull of the Abrams to be quite narrow in profile and is actually really comfortable for the driver. BUT - during night operations, it was not uncommon for the driver to fall asleep. This was compounded in cold weather because the heater in the tank was located just next to the driver and dumped a bunch of warm air right in his face. It was typical to carry an M16 cleaning rod and after the 3rd "Driver Move Out" command was given and there was no "Move Out", the rod would be shoved between the turret basket grating into the arm or neck of the driver to wake them up. I fortunately never had one of my drivers fall asleep on me while on the move but friends of mine tell stories of drivers who had. While the seat of the Abrams certainly made it easy to fall asleep, other factors were involved. The aforementioned heater was one but also the fact that the driver was isolated from the crew and didn't have anyone to help him stay awake other than talk over the intercom. In the turret the loader and commander could stand up and the gunner was usually busy scanning for targets, but the driver just had to lay there, hot air blowing on him, with only the glow of his night vision periscope to look at.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    I've never had a cat unroll toilet paper, and I've had a bunch of cats.
    I had one that did. I came home and found the toilet paper completely unrolled in both bathrooms. I turned the rolls around. For years, would occasionally find claw marks on the paper from her tests.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Runkle View Post
    This is no shit:

A couple of months ago, I went to the local hospital with chest pains. They ended up keeping me overnight for observation because they didn't like what they were seeing on the EKG.

So, keeping in mind that I was in there for cardiac issues, this was what I was given for breakfast the following morning:

Name:  Cardiac breakfast.jpg
Views: 860
Size:  33.6 KB

I guess they wanted me to come back and visit them again.
    Last edited by Stephanie B; 04-25-2018 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Rotate the damn image
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    Love Bill Mauldin's work. This has always been my favorite however:
    Attachment 25718
    So many good ones. I couldn't find the one where they were in some bombed out city entering a building a sign identified as a Bank. They're holding their rifles as they go through the door and one says to the other, "This looks damn funny"
    Then there's the one that shows a shot coming from a fox hole, blowing an insulator off a power line. The caption reads, "Damn it Willie, it was my turn."
    Then there's this.
    Name:  mauldin_worry.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  78.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Last edited by Stephanie B; 04-25-2018 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Rotate the damn image
    Name:  tenor.jpg
Views: 840
Size:  16.4 KB

Here you go. I expect you wanted this rotating image due to the meds?

See edit.
    Last edited by beenalongtime; 04-25-2018 at 08:56 AM. Reason: I guess gif's don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    Gifs need to be inside img tags and not uploaded to the forum as attachments.

Attachments are down-sized and converted to jpgs to reduce storage and bandwidth consumption — primarily because I can’t afford to host 25,000 12MB pictures of targets.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List