Page 1207 of 3532 FirstFirst ... 2077071107115711971205120612071208120912171257130717072207 ... LastLast
Results 12,061 to 12,070 of 35316

Thread: Make me laugh - the PF memes thread - NO POLITICAL MEMES

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duffy View Post
    If we don't teach millennials to drive a stick, we won't have any. Witness the new Corvette, Audi, etc.
    This is happening even in countries where manual transmissions are the norm. My Brit coworkers who visit the States are always surprised when they see I drive a manual because they believe that is a scarce skill here in the US. Every car I see over there is a manual. That hasn't prevented European companies from moving their performance cars from manual to some form of automatic (DCT, etc).

Based on what I've read, modern automatics perform better than sticks and deliver better fuel economy. Lifespan is improving as well. The gap between the two is narrowing to the point that it's a non-issue for most people, even those with a performance mindset.

I have two manuals and one automatic (and haven't not owned a manual since I started driving 30 years ago). It would not upset me for all of my future cars to have automatics.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    This is happening even in countries where manual transmissions are the norm. My Brit coworkers who visit the States are always surprised when they see I drive a manual because they believe that is a scarce skill here in the US. Every car I see over there is a manual. That hasn't prevented European companies from moving their performance cars from manual to some form of automatic (DCT, etc).

Based on what I've read, modern automatics perform better than sticks and deliver better fuel economy. Lifespan is improving as well. The gap between the two is narrowing to the point that it's a non-issue for most people, even those with a performance mindset.

I have two manuals and one automatic (and haven't not owned a manual since I started driving 30 years ago). It would not upset me for all of my future cars to have automatics.

Chris
    When I started having problems with my trashed left ankle, the doc warned me that there was a good chance I would come out of surgery either fused or missing a foot. It didn’t come to pass, but I resolved then and there that if it did I’d sell the Miata for another slushbox equipped one. I can live with it.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Name:  organ donors.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  45.1 KB
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Chris
    I don't care if a super fancy flappy paddle gearbox will net me 0.1second lap time improvements on the Nurburgring... they suck in terms of driving experience and engagement, and if you drive it wrong (aka like a slushbox automatic) you WILL destroy the clutch faster than you can JUAN MEELLION DOLLAR REPAIR BILL.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    If I could buy a brand new, just off the line, 1998 M3 coupe today, I would.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    I don't care if a super fancy flappy paddle gearbox will net me 0.1second lap time improvements on the Nurburgring... they suck in terms of driving experience and engagement
    Driving in shitty NoVA traffic cancels out any benefit gained from driving experience and engagement. There's simply no point to rowing through gears (or back and forth between 1st and 2nd repeatedly) while going in a straight line down I66, I95, or the Beltway. At this point, I just as soon have a self-driving car and be done with it. I'd probably have a different perspective if I lived somewhere that didn't make driving an absolute chore.

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    and if you drive it wrong (aka like a slushbox automatic) you WILL destroy the clutch faster than you can JUAN MEELLION DOLLAR REPAIR BILL.
    Umm, ok, but not sure how that's relevant.

Chris

Make me laugh - the PF memes thread - EASILY BUTTHURT KEEP OUT

Driving in shitty NoVA traffic cancels out any benefit gained from driving experience and engagement. There's simply no point to rowing through gears (or back and forth between 1st and 2nd repeatedly) while going in a straight line down I66, I95, or the Beltway. At this point, I just as soon have a self-driving car and be done with it. I'd probably have a different perspective if I lived somewhere that didn't make driving an absolute chore.

Umm, ok, but not sure how that's relevant.

Chris

I hear ya. Drive across WW bridge to work many a time on the beltway.
    Last edited by RJ; 07-22-2019 at 11:59 AM.

I just got used to pissing people off behind me, and letting traffic roll a distance away in front of me, so I could let the car idle along in 1st or 2nd. I'd just go all Jeff Bridges/The Dude/Kevin Flynn (Tron: Legacy) zen like and let everyone else just be silly buzzy bees. In the end it saves brakes, tires, fuel, clutch life, and my sanity.

eta:
    Life's too short to drive boring cars; even if it does involve rush hour traffic. At some point, you'll be able to get into The Fizz, and that's when it all becomes worthwhile.
    Last edited by hufnagel; 07-22-2019 at 12:16 PM.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by J0hnny View Post
    Name:  51A52DEE-EBE4-460A-BC4C-D359041C87A9.jpg
Views: 953
Size:  36.9 KB
    I laughed so hard at this. I’m in nursing school and we had to do public health nursing clinicals where we went door to door. There was this set of low-income apartments shaped in a “U”, so each of the corners had an awful funnel that was like 4’ wide and 12’ deep just to knock on a door. I kept ensuring that other people besides myself would have to knock on those particular doors. “Not today, Satan.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List