Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Delica is like my old knees lately - stiff

Site Supporter

My Delica is like my old knees lately - stiff

I have a Delica that is quite a few years old. In the last month or so, it has become like my knees. Very stiff to open when before it was quite smooth. I sprayed it with a cleaner, ran it through hot soapy water and tried a few drops of CLP. Whatever - in the morning, it is so stiff. If you open it a few times, it loosens up but gets stiff again in a small amount of time. I supposed there may be some gook in there but it isn't one that you can take apart.

Ideas?

At your age you should be happy that at least something is stiff.

Ultrasonic cleaner maybe? Email spyderco?
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Site Supporter
    Haha. I was going to try Spyderco but I thought many of the great wits here would have an idea.

I'm just thinking out loud here .... perhaps the pivot bushing (I would think it has one) is toast?

It might be worth $5 to send it back for warranty work if you can't get it to loosen up.
    https://www.spyderco.com/edge-u-cati...ex.php?item=10
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    I'm just thinking out loud here .... perhaps the pivot bushing (I would think it has one) is toast?

It might be worth $5 to send it back for warranty work if you can't get it to loosen up.
    This is your best bet.

If a clean and lube didn't get it working right, your pivot or the torsion bar is probably going out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post

Do that. It's worth it for the needed and PM, along with the factory sharpening. Their CS is GTG.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Another vote for sending it in. That's what I did and was very happy that I did. It was fast, easy, and the blade was sharp like new when I got it back.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

If you have some Torx drivers it's easy enough to open up, clean out and lube. I've done it before with my trainers when they get sand in them and you can hear it grinding on opening.

Site Supporter
    This old boy is pre-torx. I have the drivers and my trainer is torxed. This one has rivets it seems. I'm going to send it in.

Thanks for the hints, folks!

Quote Originally Posted by OnionsAndDragons View Post
    If a clean and lube didn't get it working right, your pivot or the torsion bar is probably going out.
    That was exactly what happened with my Kershaw Leek. It started stiffening up, so I took it apart to clean it and lube it, put it back together, and it only got worse. Took it apart again later and the torsion bar came apart in my hands. Thankfully KAI sent me a new one gratis, and it's back to 100%. I ended up reading quite a bit about torsion bar failures in assisted opening knives, and it almost seems like they should be considered a wear/replacement item that's only good for a certain number of open/close cycles.

User Tag List