Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 5.56 Suppressed Questions

Is an 11.5 or 12.5 length barrel with flash hider significantly more obnoxious than a 16" carbine?
    IMHO, yes. Buddy has a SBR that we shot prior to his can getting here, way too obnoxious for me. YMMV and all of that...

Site Supporter
    I would take a .30 cal suppressor because of the minute difference (if any with changeable end cap down a size); that'll handle the higher pressure of the 5.56mm round as well because of the increased internal volume of .30 cal suppressors.

I don't know that I'd buy a 5.56mm suppressor at all.

Just my $.02.

I'd use the .30 cal can on both 5.56mm and 7.62, and if you're looking for another silencer; I'd go with something for a centerfire pistol. 9mm seems to be the most optimal and could be used on a pistol caliber carbine at some point.

That's if you're looking just to acquire stuff.

God Bless,

Brandon

ETA: I forgot to mention. Yes, yes a 12.5'' or 11.5'' will put out more muzzle blast than a 16''. Shooting XM193 out of a 12.5'' put out an impressive fireball and was moving debris/carbon/casings on the floor in front of the stall we were shooting out of.

Name:  IMG_2720.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  31.0 KB

.223 Rem Wolf was a different story but full power 5.56mm felt good. I always plug and muff. The 16'' Mid-length next to it did not put out as much muzzle blast or any flash.

By the way, that's with an A2 Flash Hider.

ETA 2:

Three things to consider about the above though. The SBR barrel was still almost inside the stall which increased concussion (and then directed it forward and back) and the range was dimly lit (thus exacerbating the flash). It was a cool picture to capture; we were out just shooting (which I don't do nearly as often these days) and dragged out some guns that haven't been shot in years and some for rough zero'ing. I don't know if XM193 uses any flash suppressant (or at least the Lake City XM193 anyway).
    Last edited by BWT; 03-28-2016 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    I like caliber specific "mini" cans.
    I like the length, subsequent weight and overall look of mini cans, but they give up quite a bit in actual suppression. Then again, my main suppressor focus is hunting. I don't need to be quiet on a range or at a class, where maybe 10% of everyone else is shooting suppressed.

I bought the Omega last July, and finally picked it up last month. For my purposes, it's perfect, and I would buy it again today if making the same choice. I don't care for the brake on the end, so I purchased both the 5.56 and the 7.62 flat endcaps. It's much quieter than my buddies SDN-6 (both shooting 5.56), but that's the only can I've shot it next to for comparison. It faired pretty well HERE too. Everyone hears things a little differently, and tone can be subjective.

Lot's of good choices out there right now, just depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

I also bought a Sparrow at the same time. I shoot a buttload of 22, so durability and ease of maintenance were my main goals. If I were looking for a second rimfire can today, I'd probably go with the Mask. It's disgustingly quiet.

All that said, there are times already that I wish I had a dedicated 5.56 can just for general blasting, and a mini would be perfect. Ironically, I was on SiCo's website today looking at the Specwar 556K and thought, "hmmm, I wish it were a bit shorter".

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Runkle View Post
    I'm not that big of a fan of dual usage of suppressors (aside from things like using .300 win mag/.308/.300 BLK) My reasoning is that I shoot a lot (like most of us here do) and have already fouled up suppressors that are dedicated suppressors. Cleaning never entirely removes everything. So, think of it like this:

Your .30 cal suppressor gets extra duty of having a lot more rounds through it. You keep cleaning it or whatever, but eventually, the inside of the suppressor shrinks with time as the "walls" gradually build up. Then, eventually you shoot .308 through it one day and you have an over pressure issue (boyle's law if I remember correctly...feel free to correct me). That over pressure issue destroys your can.

Now, if you shoot a few hundred rounds of .308 and a few hundred of 5.56 every year, this may never be an issue for you.

However, if you take 5 classes and practice a bunch one year and shoot 10k rounds, then shoot a few hundred the next year, then 4K the next year, then a few hundred the next year, then take 3 classes the next year...well...you can see how that will start to wear down on one suppressor designed for just one caliber. But, if you have that kind of schedule, and you add in shooting other calibers during range sessions, then you are really shooting a lot more rounds through it than you realize. Also, you might have a very good warranty, or the company does a great job at fixing/repairing stuff, but they may not even be around 10 years from now, or the parts/availability to repair may not be there.

3 of my favorite suppressors can no longer be repaired by the companies that made them. 2 of those suppressors are technology from only 5-7 years ago. 1 is from about 20 years ago.

You might shoot low round counts, but the suppressor will probably be something you plan on keeping well past a gun or a barrel.

I recommend buying a dedicated suppressor for whatever you shoot most, and then passing on trying to get a one-size-fits all. Unless you shoot .308 really regularly, or 300 BLK regularly, then I would just buy a couple .22 suppressors, a good 9mm can and good 5.56 can (unless you shoot a different rifle caliber more often).
    Josh is smart. Listen to him.
    Taking a break from social media.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Runkle View Post
    I'm not that big of a fan of dual usage of suppressors (aside from things like using .300 win mag/.308/.300 BLK) My reasoning is that I shoot a lot (like most of us here do) and have already fouled up suppressors that are dedicated suppressors. Cleaning never entirely removes everything. So, think of it like this:

Your .30 cal suppressor gets extra duty of having a lot more rounds through it. You keep cleaning it or whatever, but eventually, the inside of the suppressor shrinks with time as the "walls" gradually build up. Then, eventually you shoot .308 through it one day and you have an over pressure issue (boyle's law if I remember correctly...feel free to correct me). That over pressure issue destroys your can.

Now, if you shoot a few hundred rounds of .308 and a few hundred of 5.56 every year, this may never be an issue for you.

However, if you take 5 classes and practice a bunch one year and shoot 10k rounds, then shoot a few hundred the next year, then 4K the next year, then a few hundred the next year, then take 3 classes the next year...well...you can see how that will start to wear down on one suppressor designed for just one caliber. But, if you have that kind of schedule, and you add in shooting other calibers during range sessions, then you are really shooting a lot more rounds through it than you realize. Also, you might have a very good warranty, or the company does a great job at fixing/repairing stuff, but they may not even be around 10 years from now, or the parts/availability to repair may not be there.

3 of my favorite suppressors can no longer be repaired by the companies that made them. 2 of those suppressors are technology from only 5-7 years ago. 1 is from about 20 years ago.

You might shoot low round counts, but the suppressor will probably be something you plan on keeping well past a gun or a barrel.

I recommend buying a dedicated suppressor for whatever you shoot most, and then passing on trying to get a one-size-fits all. Unless you shoot .308 really regularly, or 300 BLK regularly, then I would just buy a couple .22 suppressors, a good 9mm can and good 5.56 can (unless you shoot a different rifle caliber more often).
    I skimmed through this thread before turning in for the night and didn't read this post initially as closely.

1.) What barrel length do you typically put your 5.56mm cans on?
    2.) What barrel length do you typically put your 7.62mm cans on?
    3.) How many rounds of 5.56mm have you put through said cans versus 7.62mm?

I've got some assumptions/thoughts but I just was curious about these questions first, and no I don't plan to start an internet slap fight.

Thanks and God Bless,

Brandon

ETA: I will add, Josh is 100% on with businesses closing down. Unfortunately.
    Last edited by BWT; 03-29-2016 at 01:33 AM.

5.56 Suppressed Questions

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    1.) What barrel length do you typically put your 5.56mm cans on?
    At home: 10.5", 11.5" and just added 18" to the mix. All semi-auto only.

Formerly, at work: 7.5", 10.3", 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", some limited full auto (maybe 4-5k rounds?), and a lot of semi-auto.

Very limited experience with 16" suppressed. Usually friends' guns. Probably less than 300 rounds total.

2.) What barrel length do you typically put your 7.62mm cans on?
    I have only shot 16" and 20" suppressed at work (former job) in semi-auto, and 24" bolt gun that was mine, but suppressor belonged to a coworker.

I have shot 20" and 24" bolt guns that were suppressed that belonged to other friends.

I have shot a small amount (about 3k rounds) of full auto 7.62x39 suppressed.

I have since sold anything .308, and almost exclusively shoot 5.56 these days.

3.) How many rounds of 5.56mm have you put through said cans versus 7.62mm?
    I have probably shot about 7-10k rounds through about 20 different types of 5.56 suppressors that I don't own, and about 10k rounds through 1 5.56 suppressor that I own and only about 500 rounds through another 5.56 suppressor that I do own. I have probably put about 2k 5.56 rounds through about 3-4 different 7.62 cans that I don't own.

I have put about 3k 7.62x39 rounds through a .30 cal can/gun that I don't own (almost all on full auto). I have probably shot about 5-6k .308 suppressed in total, which I have rarely found to be fun with the singular exception of some of the bolt guns with other people's subsonic hand loads, which were more effective than I would have ever imagined.

In total, I have shot a fairly limited amount of time suppressed, with the exception of 9mm and .22lr/.22 short. In 2012, I shot about 200 rounds of .22lr almost every on my lunch break, 4 days a week, shot into a bullet trap the other 3 days of the week after paramedic school/clinicals/ride alongs. I shot over 50k of .22lr suppressed that year alone.

I don't live a life like that anymore. I shot just about every major suppressor on the market in 2012-2013, but that is not true today. I own about 10-ish suppressors.

ETA: I shot almost every day from 2010 until 2014 when I got engaged, and went down to about once a week. I went down to about once every other week in 2015 when I got married (switched career paths in 2013-2014 and couldn't afford as much ammo, and I wasn't getting free ammo or subsidized ammo any longer). Since last December, I haven't shot at all. I got diagnosed with a rare, terminal heart condition. But, I'm making the most of life and getting stronger every day, adjusting to the new meds and new lifestyle and effects of multiple surgeries. I got cleared to shoot again a few weeks ago, but haven't had the strength/energy yet, but started dry firing again. So, for full disclosure, I'm not exactly a "shooter" at all, at the moment, but I will be again soon assuming my body improves.
    Last edited by Josh Runkle; 03-29-2016 at 02:53 AM.

Couple of things that just occurred to me re-reading this...

1) no mention in the OP of what you want the cans for. That might help people make suggestions. If it's just because you think they might be harder to get in the future then just buy whatever looks cool or makes you feel good.
    2) it's my opinion that silencers are one of the biggest wastes of money in the gun world when it come to buying with a purpose. Most "reasons" the typical private buyer gives are utter horseshit, designed (like most gun related purchases) to validate an emotional buy with BS. This is a big part of my reason for getting a .30 can: spread the cost of the horseshit across as many guns and potential uses as possible.
    3) others have raised a good point about manufacturers going out of business. It's the primary reservation I still have about Thunderbeast, and the Rugged company you made me aware of, and frankly most of the manufacturers outside of Gemtech, AAC, Surefire, and Silencerco. Even then, if Dater dies I bet Gemtech goes TU, and Cerberus could shut down AAC on a whim.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    I like the length, subsequent weight and overall look of mini cans, but they give up quite a bit in actual suppression. They sound identical to full-size cans to the shooter, except in tone. Then again, my main suppressor focus is hunting. I don't need to be quiet on a range or at a class, where maybe 10% of everyone else is shooting suppressed. Same use, here, and as such, "the shooter" is my main concern. They are a few dB quieter at the ears than a fullsize can.

I bought the Omega last July, and finally picked it up last month. For my purposes, it's perfect, and I would buy it again today if making the same choice. I don't care for the brake on the end, so I purchased both the 5.56 and the 7.62 flat endcaps. It's much quieter than my buddies SDN-6 (both shooting 5.56), but that's the only can I've shot it next to for comparison. It faired pretty well HERE too. Everyone hears things a little differently, and tone can be subjective.

Lot's of good choices out there right now, just depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

I also bought a Sparrow at the same time. I shoot a buttload of 22, so durability and ease of maintenance were my main goals. If I were looking for a second rimfire can today, I'd probably go with the Mask. It's disgustingly quiet. I LOVE my Spectre II!

All that said, there are times already that I wish I had a dedicated 5.56 can just for general blasting, and a mini would be perfect. Ironically, I was on SiCo's website today looking at the Specwar 556K and thought, "hmmm, I wish it were a bit shorter".
    I'm a huge fan of the Surefire mini's, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Couple of things that just occurred to me re-reading this...

1) no mention in the OP of what you want the cans for. That might help people make suggestions. If it's just because you think they might be harder to get in the future then just buy whatever looks cool or makes you feel good.
    2) it's my opinion that silencers are one of the biggest wastes of money in the gun world when it come to buying with a purpose. Most "reasons" the typical private buyer gives are utter horseshit, designed (like most gun related purchases) to validate an emotional buy with BS. This is a big part of my reason for getting a .30 can: spread the cost of the horseshit across as many guns and potential uses as possible.
    3) others have raised a good point about manufacturers going out of business. It's the primary reservation I still have about Thunderbeast, and the Rugged company you made me aware of, and frankly most of the manufacturers outside of Gemtech, AAC, Surefire, and Silencerco. Even then, if Dater dies I bet Gemtech goes TU, and Cerberus could shut down AAC on a whim.

Buy 2. That's what I did for my high volume setups. One stays in the safe/new, one gets flogged.

The technical answers are above for 5.56 vs 30 cal on a 5.56.

All I can add to the discussion is this -

I fully understand suppressors are luxury-like items. Despite that I still have multiple centerfire and multiple rimfire - 3 of each, actually, but a couple are still waiting for approval.

I belong to a private outdoor club that is typically empty besides me and my guests. I have access to a large amount of private land (in laws that we visit 5 times a year - minimum) with a range on it as well. If your exclusively shooting at a public indoor range the benefits of suppressors arent there. But who knows what the future holds - for suppressors or your range access?

I also have 2 small kids that are learning to shoot.

I shoot a lot, like most here. However I'm supplying guns/suppressors for multiple family members. I just don't want to swap scorching hot cans from host to host and make everyone wait their turn to use them.

Could I lose a centerfire, or two? Sure, I guess. QD and not the end of the world.

Rimfire? Nope. I'm glad I have three. Hearing safe and plenty to use at the same time. I have 4 hosts. ..might need a 4th can!

Rifle isnt hearing safe, but it is hearing safe-R.

Buy what you want. Enjoy it. You've earned your money and you get to decide how to make spend it.

I'd hate to think I'd ever need to justify all the items I've ever purchased.

Being told you NEED to be able to justify suppressors (or anything else for that matter) is total bullshit.

You don't need to justify it to us or anyone else.

If your comfortable with a 30 cal can doing multiple duty - awesome.

But get a second (or third) rimfire. Best advice I took form LL.

You're NOVA. I can get you down to F'Burg with LL and Hansohn Bros if you want to play with some and decide, for yourself, if the juice is worth the squeeze.

I think it is.

User Tag List