Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CoolFire (Like a SIRT with a Reciprocating Slide)

They are local to me. I will reach out to them and see if I can try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    Hopefully someone here will get a chance to try one out and give use a review.

I have had a SIRT a little less than a year, and like it very much, but if this had been available back in May I might have given this a go.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post

I have a SIRT, and find it to be some of the best training tool I have ever invested in.

I would be very interested to try the Cool Fire, and think it has serious potential. However, one of the advantages of the SIRT is that I can put my real gun completely away, pick up a SIRT, practice, put the SIRT away, and put my real gun back on, with no need to disassemble the real gun, and with definite indicia of which one I am using.
    I had a SIRT and sold it. I found it to be very different from the trigger on my glocks, wasn't G19 size, and making hits with the laser was far easier than live fire with my pistol = didn't translate into beneficial practice for me. I know I am probably alone on my experience/results.

I would bet a lot of folks around here already have an identical, dedicated, empty dry practice gun (I know it was one of the best purchases I've made).
    If the price eventually drops like the SIRT guns did, I be pretty interested. Give it time to be proven on the market, a $2-250 price tag and I'd be ready to drop the coin on it.
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    I had a SIRT and sold it. I found it to be very different from the trigger on my glocks, wasn't G19 size, and making hits with the laser was far easier than live fire with my pistol = didn't translate into beneficial practice for me. I know I am probably alone on my experience/results.

I would bet a lot of folks around here already have an identical, dedicated, empty dry practice gun (I know it was one of the best purchases I've made).
    If the price eventually drops like the SIRT guns did, I be pretty interested. Give it time to be proven on the market, a $2-250 price tag and I'd be ready to drop the coin on it.
    You are actually not the first person I have heard who found that the differences between the SIRT and their actual pistol were too great for effective practice, and the other is a very high level shooter. If I recall correctly, that shooter found the plastic slide version to be too light for draw practice. I have the metal slide.

My experience is different. I find that skills developed with the SIRT transfer quite well to my Glock 19, Glock 26, and 1911. While I agree that hitting the wall with a laser is easier than hitting a target with a bullet, the difference becomes much less apparent when working on my drawstroke. My drawstroke has definitely improved by using a SIRT.

When helping teach a recent NRA Basic Pistol class, use of plastic slide SIRT pistols helped fine tune the trigger control of the new shooters before we went to the life fire portion, resulting in tighter groups on paper. In one case, it helped me diagnose a sight perception issue with a lady who was having a tough time reconciling bifocals with a good sight picture.

While there are certainly differences in weight, feel, and trigger pull between a SIRT and a real pistol, I like the fact that I can pick up something with a red slide, know immediately that this is not my (almost always loaded) carry pistol, and that I do not have to worry about whether it is loaded, whether it is pointed in a safe direction, whether it is properly secured when I am not practicing, etc. While I can see having an extra gun for dry fire, that is still a gun that must be treated as such.

Site Supporter
    They offer a 5% LEO discount for those who qualify.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post

I would be very interested to try the Cool Fire, and think it has serious potential. However, one of the advantages of the SIRT is that I can put my real gun completely away, pick up a SIRT, practice, put the SIRT away, and put my real gun back on, with no need to disassemble the real gun, and with definite indicia of which one I am using.
    I'd probably be inclined to put the Cool Fire on my third backup gun, or second backup if it was on a game gun. Or, at the very least, keep a spare slide with the device installed so I could easily swap it.

CoolFire (Like a SIRT with a Reciprocating Slide)

How heavy is the barrel compared to the standard one? Without trying one first, it seems like a gamble with regard to handling characteristics.

For mixing in with my gamer dry fire practice, if they made one for the CZ I might be tempted. No use for the laser. Be nice to better simulate DA to SA...

These are way cheaper than the Dvorak stuff law enforcement uses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tom_Jones; 04-01-2016 at 12:59 PM. Reason: embedded video

Site Supporter
    In evaluating the SIRT or the Cool Fire, any change in handling characteristics should be weighed against the value of practicing with feedback. Dry firing without any feedback is like playing golf in the dark - you have no idea how effective your technique really was.

With the SIRT, I know immediately whether I did everything right or not. If not, I can look at what happened and immediately figure out what I did wrong. The Cool Fire would appear to provide the same advantage.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

But your real gun doesnt shoot a laser.

Call me old fashion, but I think a laser FOR ME, would be insanely counter productive in developing my shooting skill. if this offers the same feeling as live fire then this is no longer dry fire. This is live fire without bullets. I think many of the advantages of dry fire is there's no recoil or bang.
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    But your real gun doesnt shoot a laser.

Call me old fashion, but I think a laser FOR ME, would be insanely counter productive in developing my shooting skill. if this offers the same feeling as live fire then this is no longer dry fire. This is live fire without bullets. I think many of the advantages of dry fire is there's no recoil or bang.
    I believe there are laser-sensing targets, FWIW.

Site Supporter
    Here is one example of a laser target:

http://www.laserlyte.com/products/ki...ainer-vest-kit

(April Fools)

User Tag List