Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HK USPc 40 to 9mm conversion- what's req'd?

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    It seems that the slides have different dimensions between 9 and 40, making a drop-in conversion fairly impractical.
    Those differences will be internal, as the exterior dimensions are identical.

I'll try to remember to measure both when I get home, but I can tell you the breech faces are definitely different.

Site Supporter
    Well, after doing some research, it's hard to find many people who are happy with EFK barrels, especially the conversion ones. It seems that the slides have different dimensions between 9 and 40, making a drop-in conversion fairly impractical.
    I appreciate the input of all - my expectations were colored by lots of previous Beretta experience, where it was not nearly as complicated.
    I guess I'll revert to the plan to watch HKPro, Gunbroker etc, and, if I don't find a good deal, eventually order one NIB from HK.

Thanks again to all...
    Did you find negative reviews of the EFK conversion barrels ? Or just very little info at all?

I've used Barsto and Lone Wolf 40 to 9mm conversion barrels in my SIG 229 and Glock 23 with good results but I have no experience with EFK products. The folks on SIG forum seem happy with their SIG barrels.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Did you find negative reviews of the EFK conversion barrels ? Or just very little info at all?

I've used Barsto and Lone Wolf 40 to 9mm conversion barrels in my SIG 229 and Glock 23 with good results but I have no experience with EFK products. The folks on SIG forum seem happy with their SIG barrels.
    Very little info since 2012. Lots of unhappy users prior to that. Mostly complaining of marginal reliability and poor/slow/nonexistent customer service. Some SIG users doing equivilant (9mm-9mm, 40-40, etc) barrel swaps reported no problems. But not many caliber conversion users were impressed.
    Just enough to make me wary. And more inclined to either find a complete top-end or entire pistol to get to my 9mm LEM goal.
    Last edited by GyroF-16; 03-30-2016 at 10:44 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Those differences will be internal, as the exterior dimensions are identical.

I'll try to remember to measure both when I get home, but I can tell you the breech faces are definitely different.

Yes, certainly just internal dimensions. Apparently external barrel diameter, breach face, and maybe other dimensions around the ejection port area. I can still conceive that a valid and functional conversion barrel could be made to function in a 40 slide, but I'm not confident that EFK is that solution.
    I'm just accepting that HK has a different design philosophy than Beretta. And that's okay... I prefer BMWs to Italian cars from a reliability standpoint, too. Not that I have any complaint about Berettas, but I think you get my drift.
    Last edited by GyroF-16; 03-30-2016 at 10:45 PM.

Not that I have any complaint about Berettas, but I think you get my drift.

Oh, I most certainly do.

Sorry, didn't get a chance last night, and I won't be back home until sometime Friday. But if you are still interested, I will take those measurements. An important measurement is the width of the barrel lug; if the .40 is different from the 9mm, then no way do you want to "change uppers".

And truth be told, IMO you're likely to find a decent deal on a LEM USPc 9mm before you'll find a "complete upper" of same.

Site Supporter
    Good luck in your search! I would watch HKpro closely and you will find a deal. Most of the guys over there are collectors, so you will end up with a total safe queen.

Since you are looking for a USPc, I would jump on a V1 (any variant) if the price is right and do a conversion. You may want to poke around some of the other forums like Sigforum or M4Carbine.net.

Well… anybody got some salt handy? To go with this crow?

I measured the barrels on both a USPc 9mm and USPc .40; from all angles. Except for the size of the hole through the middle, they are IDENTICAL. I suspect the Euro Pellet upper would work just fine on the .40 frame… but like I said earlier, I don't want to know bad enough to try it on MY pistols.

There ya go, Gyro… ball in your court.

User Tag List