Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Tactical Pens -- What do you like, and why?

Most of the pens out there use the Space Pen insert which I find to write like pointy dog shit. I spent a fair amount of time finding an insert I liked and that wound up being the Pilot Hi-Tec C. I then found a machined body that looked decent and that's where I've been for a few years now.

I have a pair of the stainless bodies from Big I Design and they're beastly but most importantly they are the pen I wanted for writing. It's not nearly as cool for pocket dump pics but fuck that noise, I write a ton and this serves that purpose well. Looking at the site the click pens are in stock now too, I'll grab a set and see how they work. The best part about them is they don't look like they're sold in the back of Soldier of Fortune.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

That one looks nice and clean too, I just hate the Space Pen inserts. I'm sure you can relate to scratching out equations and stuff all day long. The 0.25mm, 0.30mm, and 0.40mm Hi-Tec C pens work very well for the colors I use and the stuff I write down. Could never make a Space Pen insert do anything legible.

I don't often carry a pen, but when I do it's one of my old Rotring 600s.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I use the Rite in the Rain Tactical Clicker. Not so very 'tactical' in appearance or capabilities, but it's a decent, well-weighted writer and an acceptable pointy implement as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Rite-Rain-Weat...ain+bullet+pen

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ubervic View Post
    I use the Rite in the Rain Tactical Clicker. Not so very 'tactical' in appearance or capabilities, but it's a decent, well-weighted writer and an acceptable pointy implement as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Rite-Rain-Weat...ain+bullet+pen
    Now that's a nice looking "low-profile" tactical pen AND fairly inexpensive.

I've always liked the F-701.

As an aside, if you try to talk about pens with normal people they think you're a weirdo. I like this forum.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Second for tuff writer, I work in a correctional setting and have had the precision press for approx 2 years. I had initial issues with the click mechanism. I contacted tuff writer and they gave me the updated version and have no issues for the past few months. FWIW staff gets screened in and "tactical" pens aren't Allowed in the institution and I've never been questioned about the precision press model

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink View Post
    Now that's a nice looking "low-profile" tactical pen AND fairly inexpensive.
    It's your basic Fisher Cap-o-Matic Space Pen. They have a lot of options. http://www.spacepen.com/cap-o-matics.aspx

As orionz06 mentioned about the Space Pen ink, it could either be a plus or minus for you. I've had several Cap-o-Matics over the years and one downside I've noticed is they tend to unscrew in my pocket, either when loose or clipped on. I don't know why, but they've all done this. They haven't completely come unscrewed, but I've developed the habit of twisting them when I take them out just to make sure they are screwed on.
    Last edited by JTQ; 03-27-2016 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I have a pair of the stainless bodies from Big I Design and they're beastly but most importantly they are the pen I wanted for writing.
    Being a cheapskate, this intrigues me. How pricey are the refills? I keep destroying the "space pen" refills in my Gerber by dropping it, $7 a pop is getting ridiculous.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Being a cheapskate, this intrigues me. How pricey are the refills? I keep destroying the "space pen" refills in my Gerber by dropping it, $7 a pop is getting ridiculous.
    They're not sold as refills but the pens are $3 or so for most sizes and colors.

User Tag List