Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Tactical Pens -- What do you like, and why?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    And four colors is actually far more useful than you might think. I got onto this kick a few years ago. The different colors are very useful for drawing cartoons of different concepts and being able to quickly identify different parts of the concept due to coloration. Similarly I often make lists in blue or black and check them off with red and green, using the alternate colors to give me feedback on the status of things without having to remember everything I intended with just a black check mark.
    This is how I study for board/shelf exams. I usually write out the correct answer/explanation in green, the concept I got wrong/explanation in red, pertinent extra info in blue... it's helpful for the weird framework you need to impose on the knowledge you're responsible for on these exams but I dunno if Id apply it to anything else I do.

My favorite pen is the 0.5mm pilot G2 because they're cheap, write nice, and are click pens. accidentally ordered the 0.7mm and it's kind of a problem, my handwriting sucks so badly I really need the fine tip to keep myself legible on paper. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I'm not a "tactical" pen users. And despite a deep love affair with fountain pens, all of mine have ended up side lined for day-to-day stuff. In favor of the four-color Bic Click: https://www.amazon.com/BIC-4-Color-B...0898107&sr=8-6

These pens are still Made in France and Bic is still a French-owned company. I view items made in western Europe as the next best alternative to buying US. Particularly, UK, German, and French made stuff.

The pen bodies on these Bics are a nice diameter and they are robust enough to withstand hammering them into a 2x4 a few times without damage. The tips are too rounded to puncture, so you're opting for a pocket stick kind of effect. Flip side these fly right through ANY security screening.

And four colors is actually far more useful than you might think. I got onto this kick a few years ago. The different colors are very useful for drawing cartoons of different concepts and being able to quickly identify different parts of the concept due to coloration. Similarly I often make lists in blue or black and check them off with red and green, using the alternate colors to give me feedback on the status of things without having to remember everything I intended with just a black check mark.

After more than a decade if trying to make fancy writing utensils work for me, the stupid Bic Four-Color turned out to be the right choice for me. Plus the blue and white makes it much harder to lose the pen inside my black canvas briefcase.
    I bought one at Walmart today, the green has been replaced with purple on the Walmart version.

Hi Gents, I'm also of the opinion of not really being into tactical pens but rather a pen that doesn't break and has some weight.
    I tend to carry in the pants pocket, so pens under 6" that aren't push button and not too pointy work for me.

I haven't found the perfect pen yet but I like Karas Kustoms Render K in brass or copper, I do have to check for the pen unscrewing from time to time.
    https://karaskustoms.com/product/ren.../#body-options

The brass Bic pen series from Elegant Utility (also on Etsy), you may have to improvise a pen cap and clip
    http://elegantutility.com/product-tag/bic-pen/

The Boker Redux Inkless Pen (more like a pencil, available in brass or titanium, I got the latter)
    https://bladeops.com/boker-plus-redo...m-inkless-pen/

Site Supporter

Grafton pen refill

I'm pleased with my 2 Grafton pens. It's time for some refills. Here are my choices:

"Versatile with Refills: The Grafton Pen comes with one . 7 mm black cartridge but it also takes Bic Gel, Uniball Jetstream, Pilot G2, Fisher Space SPR4, Rite in the Rain, Monteverde Ballpoint, Parker Gel, and Parker Ballpoint cartridges."

Your suggestions please. Thanks!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming Shooter View Post
    I'm pleased with my 2 Grafton pens. It's time for some refills. Here are my choices:

"Versatile with Refills: The Grafton Pen comes with one . 7 mm black cartridge but it also takes Bic Gel, Uniball Jetstream, Pilot G2, Fisher Space SPR4, Rite in the Rain, Monteverde Ballpoint, Parker Gel, and Parker Ballpoint cartridges."

Your suggestions please. Thanks!
    I like Schmidt easy flow 9000 in my Parkers. I also like the Parker gel. I may be the only person in the world who is not a huge fan of the space pen. I find them globby.

Site Supporter
    +1
    "I like Schmidt easy flow 9000 in my Parkers" I have 6 or 7 Parker Jotters as the are a go to "tactical pen" for me. They all get a Schmidt EF 9000 when their OEM cartridge goes blank.

Of the refills listed, I like the Uni-Ball far more than the G2.

I too, think the Fisher SP refill runs globby.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming Shooter View Post
    That is pretty versatile. The Fisher and the Rite-in-the-Rain are the same refill, so whichever is easier to source or cheaper. As mentioned, the ink does gloop a bit, though my newer pens do this less than the older ones.

I haven't used the Bic Gel, or the Monteverde ball point.

The Uni-ball Jetstream is a ball point and pretty smooth writer for a ball point.

I don't care for the Pilot G2, the ink smears easy. Pilot has the same problem with their roller ball ink. In roller balls and gel pens, Uni-Ball has the best ink.

I like Parker refills, their ball points are much cleaner than the Fisher pens, but their gel ink is only OK.

I’ve carried these for years. I bought a few in Japan.

Pilot Capless. (Sold in the USA as “Vanishing Point”).

The ‘mechanical watch’ of pens.

(And capable of very nasty things, if absolutely needed.)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thought I’d bump this for no particular reason other than I’m sitting at an airport bar and the topic popped into my head.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Tactical Pens -- What do you like, and why?

Surefire, Hinderer, Space Pen

"You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

User Tag List