Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Tactical Pens -- What do you like, and why?

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    After 2 days, I like the feel of this steel Zebra in my hand, but don't like the ballpoint. I'm definitely a gel guy, unless I'm writing on carbon paper or some surface prone to smudges. I'll report back if I find a gel hack that I like.
    I have 2 of the early 701 hacked pens that I use for work. Gel is out for completing multi-part forms. I use regular Zebra refills, medium point blue ink.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Name:  761ED3A2-7E04-47D7-967F-B46B3FF6BF46.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  44.6 KBName:  CFBADFBB-052E-4F93-8E69-E4FF16AF4C79.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  26.0 KB
    Out of curiosity I took apart one of the new all metal 701s. Definitely more metal as they have a metal cartridge and the plunger housing is all metal but there is still a little plastic piece inside. For $5 and change at the local HEB it’s still my go to clicky pen for duty use.

Quote Originally Posted by secondstoryguy View Post
    Name:  761ED3A2-7E04-47D7-967F-B46B3FF6BF46.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  44.6 KBName:  CFBADFBB-052E-4F93-8E69-E4FF16AF4C79.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  26.0 KB
    Out of curiosity I took apart one of the new all metal 701s. Definitely more metal as they have a metal cartridge and the plunger housing is all metal but there is still a little plastic piece inside. For $5 and change at the local HEB it’s still my go to clicky pen for duty use.
    The threaded part with the clicky that holds down the pocket clip used to be made of black plastic. The threads would loosen and strip over time.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

My go to pen is the Rotring RapidPro. Heavy all steel, and so black it could be navy.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0055ZZQFY..._JwPqCbBF6T75N
    Ignore Alien Orders

I've given those Rotring pens as gifts to several friends on this forum, and they all enjoyed them.

Their mechanical pencils are very nice as well.

While not tactical, I have carried this Fellhoelter TiBolt for going on 5 years. All Titanium parts except the spring, o-ring, and cartridge. I did change the original cartridge to a finer tip, but it is still heavy on ink and will smear.

It has gotten many compliments over the years, and a few people have attempted to keep it so I am very selective of who I let use it. I do get some strange looks when I tell someone that I don’t have a pen when they obviously see it in my pocket, or straight tell them no they can’t use my pen.

Quote Originally Posted by TXBK View Post
    While not tactical, I have carried this Fellhoelter TiBolt for going on 5 years. All Titanium parts except the spring, o-ring, and cartridge. I did change the original cartridge to a finer tip, but it is still heavy on ink and will smear.

It has gotten many compliments over the years, and a few people have attempted to keep it so I am very selective of who I let use it. I do get some strange looks when I tell someone that I don’t have a pen when they obviously see it in my pocket, or straight tell them no they can’t use my pen.

I have always had a simple reply when someone wants to borrow my expensive pens.

Them: Can I borrow your pen?

Me: Sure, can I borrow a hundred bucks?

Them: Why?? I'm going to give the pen back.

Me: I understand, and I'll return the hundred bucks, too.

A light either dawns in their eyes, or it does not. Or they just call me a bastige and walk off.

I don't lose a lot of pens.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I have always had a simple reply when someone wants to borrow my expensive pens.

Them: Can I borrow your pen?

Me: Sure, can I borrow a hundred bucks?

Them: Why?? I'm going to give the pen back.

Me: I understand, and I'll return the hundred bucks, too.

A light either dawns in their eyes, or it does not. Or they just call me a bastige and walk off.

I don't lose a lot of pens.
    A fountain pen's nib can be ruined by by an unknowing user by pressing down as you would a ballpoint pen, so when I carry one I always carry a cheap ballpoint I can lend when asked. Doesn't happen much anymore since I retired, though.

A lot of the premium manufactures of fountain pens use precious resin/plastic/acrylic/etc. Some of the legacy manufacturers like Cross, Schaeffer, and Parker still use metal on some of their models. There is a company called Tactile Turn that makes both rollers and fountain pens out of different types of machined metal depending on how heavy you want the pen - they have a very interesting engraved ribbing that might be considered "tactical" - might be worth looking into. Good looking pen too. Here are some of their pen weights depending on metal. Name:  TT+Gist+Inographic+2018.jpeg
Views: 533
Size:  39.1 KB
    Last edited by Cool Breeze; 01-20-2019 at 06:44 PM.

A little late to respond.... But the Pentel Energel needle tip 0.7 refills are the best I found for rollerballs. I wanted to like the Uniball 307 for its anti-forging ink qualities but my blue one (awesome blue color btw) dried up in two weeks. I have no idea how people like the Pilot G2 - it is by far the worst I have tried and skips like crazy. I am not sure if you can mod the energel to fit as I don't know the nuances of the zebra pen. Worth a shot though for cheap.
    Last edited by Cool Breeze; 01-20-2019 at 08:56 PM.

User Tag List