Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27353637

Thread: Guns and Ammo article on The Roland Special Glock 19

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    What I would like to experiment in this area with is a hybrid comped barrel. Imagine a simple extended barrel that has the muzzle crown recessed within the barrel until it’s even with the frame, then add some ports to what’s sticking out in front of the slide.

That should eliminate the tendency for barrels that are drilled into the rifling from throwing pieces of jacket and lead, while sacrificing some of the performance of a threaded-on comp for the simplicity and light weight of a one piece barrel.

Are you talking about a barrell like this?
    Name:  Ports.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  23.7 KB
    --Jason--

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Are you talking about a barrell like this?
    Name:  Ports.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  23.7 KB
    Similar, but not rifled to the end of the barrel. The rifling would end at the nose of the slide and the part that’s ported would be a slightly larger internal diameter so the bullet doesn’t contact the port holes and have them tear off pieces of lead or bullet jacket and throw them out of the port.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Similar, but not rifled to the end of the barrel. The rifling would end at the nose of the slide and the part that’s ported would be a slightly larger internal diameter so the bullet doesn’t contact the port holes and have them tear off pieces of lead or bullet jacket and throw them out of the port.
    Ahhh, okay. Interesting idea.
    --Jason--

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    Yes, well sort of. I am not exactly sure of the specs for what one would consider a Roland Special. Here it is in a Tenicore G43X holster.

Attachment 51724

I ended up using G43X, 5lbs Wolff striker spring, NP3 factory minus connector, NP3 factory FPBS, SCD, Agency Arms 417C comp, Victory First barrel. Optic is a Shield RMSw, slide work done by Maple Leaf. I'd add that it is a very interesting concept and animal. Only gripe is I would like to have a factory threaded barrel for the gun, maybe single port comp vs two port.
    What are your thoughts regarding single port .vs dual port?

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Look into the new Forward Controls Design plate. FCD is an awesome company both in CS and what some of their products actually bring to the table and while it’s new, initial reviews seem very favorable.
    I've been following FCD and posted about it in the RDS forum. CHPWS is also releasing a V4 plate this week. I'm curious to see the new release before I commit to either.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Has anyone put together a Roland from a G43X? Seems like it would benefit from a comp. I still want a single stack Glock with a dot.
    I started with that intention, have all the parts except the gun itself but currently taking a detour with a P365 roland-ish build at the moment to see how I like it since I was never entirely satisfied with the 43 over a few years for various reasons, so trying something different.

Picked up the P365 today and threw in a flat trigger, spring kit and an XL grip module. When PMM releases their P365 micro comp I'll order that and have the slide milled for ATOM 2.0. Initial impressions are extremely positive without hitting the range yet, if there was a P365 Gadget this may be a perfect tiny option.

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    What are your thoughts regarding single port .vs dual port?
    My theory is more ports more gas needed to activate them but it's just a theory and I'm no scholar so I wouldn't put any real stock in that. I believe that there was something on the Enos forums about testing comp activation which might be of interest to you if you are looking to validate any theories. I haven't because dual port was all that was available at the time I ordered and I played with the concept but felt my time was better spent just shooting the gun stock as much as possible. Now that I am really trying to run a red dot on a slim line gun I can use all the help I can get with recoil control and will probably really invest time in the concept now.

ETA: I like the idea of a shorter comp as there is less chances of singing soprano as a result of sitting down. Seriously, I'd take a little more muzzle rise for comfort all day, not that the 43X is difficult.
    Last edited by Mike C; 04-11-2020 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    I've been following FCD and posted about it in the RDS forum. CHPWS is also releasing a V4 plate this week. I'm curious to see the new release before I commit to either.
    I don't have personal experience with CHPWS, though have seen some negative CS interactions on ARFCOM. I do have personal experience with Roger and FCD, I doubt he could be more of a stand-up guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    Yes, well sort of. I am not exactly sure of the specs for what one would consider a Roland Special. Here it is in a Tenicore G43X holster.

Attachment 51724

I ended up using G43X, 5lbs Wolff striker spring, NP3 factory minus connector, NP3 factory FPBS, SCD, Agency Arms 417C comp, Victory First barrel. Optic is a Shield RMSw, slide work done by Maple Leaf. I'd add that it is a very interesting concept and animal. Only gripe is I would like to have a factory threaded barrel for the gun, maybe single port comp vs two port.
    Can we get some more pics please? Thinking of doing something similar.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Can we get some more pics please? Thinking of doing something similar.
    I've played with quite a few comps, my favorite is the Arc Division Sparc. The Agency Arms 417c makes the largest reduction in muzzle rise, the Sparc second but with a much smaller foot print, the Suarez one makes the least difference in muzzle rise but has the smallest foot print. After I get another 1K thought the Suarez one I'll switch back to the Sparc as it is the best compromise. Here it is pictured with the Suarez comp, previous photos were with the Agency Arms.

Attachment 55868
    Attachment 55869

User Tag List