Page 19 of 37 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Guns and Ammo article on The Roland Special Glock 19

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    Yes, the Glock had nested springs. I would think that with non nested springs you could shake/flush out the sand etc...

Nested springs might create the same problem in any pistol using them if sand etc... got in them.

I think slide windows make it easier to get debris in the pistol.
    While I don't disagree, I think that the potential of operational issues from debris introduced from the slide cut-out window may be overrated. Conversely, you could always cover the window with a strip of Speedy 100 MPH tape/duct tape/masking tape....

But I think that the possibility of the Gen4 nested springs being bound up by sand/dirt/fine particulate is a significant concern-I wonder what tests the British Army ran before adopting the Gen4 G17 as their issue weapon?

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 04-04-2016 at 01:46 PM.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Todd's explanation was that for the same amount of flip measured in angle/degrees the front sight on a shorter gun will travel less distance and will be easier to to track. This is best appreciated on guns that you mentioned, P30 vs L or 320 with full sized lower and short slide vs full sized 320, because the frames are the same and you don't give anything up in your ability to get a full, strong grip. While it is always hard to say whether angular flip is the same for longer vs shorter slides, I think Todd was right. I found that both subjective tracking and splits up close are slightly better with P30 than L. One of my future projects is to run a P30 in games and see how I did vs 30L, just need appropriate sights.

G19 vs G34, irons or RDS, to me is a harder discussion. First, the frames are different so that may influence the ability to control the flip and track. Second, slides are quite a bit different. I've not shot g34 that much, but to me it always cycled more favorably/flatter than 19 so I am very surprised by your, and others, dot findings. Will be standing by for more reports.
    I own and shoot 19s, a 17 and a 35 w/9mm barrel; of the 3, I prefer the 17 for pretty much every shooting application except >25 yd shots. Sights are way easier to track than either the 19 or the 35. bear in mind they're all pretty easy to shoot; largely splitting hairs in my distinction here.

For those here that know him, is this THE faceshooting Roland?

NSFW due to language (Roland).

Yes it is.

Great American.

When he retires, he will likely become among the best shooting instructors available.
    Last edited by DocGKR; 05-14-2016 at 10:55 PM.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Yes it is.

Great American.

When he retires, he will likely become among the best shooting instructors available.
    That will be awesome. Hopefully he won't teach through Alias.
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

That painted a very different picture about the whole thing than what I gathered from PF.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by dove View Post
    That painted a very different picture about the whole thing than what I gathered from PF.
    But in the end, it worked. Don't over think it.

How so?

Our use of comp'd RDS equipped G19's began in late 2014 and was discussed here: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....KM-compensator. And yes, we were influenced by "Roland" experience with the concept. It may have started as a "joke", but it changed rapidly to an effective tool.

We began our RDS pistol trial in early 2010 as noted here: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ervice-pistols and https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-on-a-SemiAuto.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Site Supporter
    At the risk of posting derp:

I will speculate that some of the good folks using a setup like this also use earpro during operations, but that the compensated G19 is also finding its way into holsters of people who can't count on having earpro. Isn't the gun going to be just loud as hell and hose your ears even more than usual if you have to resort to firing it? Or is that just not a consideration when the comp provides a flatter shooting pistol?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    At the risk of posting derp:

I will speculate that some of the good folks using a setup like this also use earpro during operations, but that the compensated G19 is also finding its way into holsters of people who can't count on having earpro. Isn't the gun going to be just loud as hell and hose your ears even more than usual if you have to resort to firing it? Or is that just not a consideration when the comp provides a flatter shooting pistol?
    Comps are normally louder to those in the vicinity of the shooter rather than to the shooter himself. Comps on rifles, in particular, are discouraged in a team environment or a firing line because they re-direct the blast to either side of the shooter. Plus rifles have much more blast than pistols so it is less of an issue on a pistol.

User Tag List