Page 29 of 37 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Guns and Ammo article on The Roland Special Glock 19

Is KKM better than Storm Lake? I've got a Storm Lake on my G19 and these are the kind of groups I get at 50 yards with 147gr Gold Dots. I can't figure out if I'm doing well, bad, or average but I'd like to get <3" groups at 50 yards with this setup. (FWIW, the red circle is 1" wide and I apologize in advance for the hijack but it seemed to fit in given the current discussion)

About to give my two-pin G19 to my daughter for a house gun and think will soon have to get a Blue Box 19 MOS and piddle with it and a Micro I already have. Want to see if I can train myself to proficiency with that for Off-Duty AIWB. My Shield doesn't seem like enough gun these days...

Also wondering if anyone has fooled with a Roland Special in .40?

Carrying a 23 every day at work, I think a comped KKM would help tremendously.
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Is KKM better than Storm Lake? I've got a Storm Lake on my G19 and these are the kind of groups I get at 50 yards with 147gr Gold Dots. I can't figure out if I'm doing well, bad, or average but I'd like to get <3" groups at 50 yards with this setup. (FWIW, the red circle is 1" wide and I apologize in advance for the hijack but it seemed to fit in given the current discussion)

That looks like a good group, and what I would expect. I shot this group at 50 in the last month with a G4 19, RMR and Gold Dot 124+ P. Out of curiosity is you zero dead on at 25 yards?

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by coldcase1984 View Post
    About to give my two-pin G19 to my daughter for a house gun and think will soon have to get a Blue Box 19 MOS and piddle with it and a Micro I already have. Want to see if I can train myself to proficiency with that for Off-Duty AIWB. My Shield doesn't seem like enough gun these days...

Also wondering if anyone has fooled with a Roland Special in .40?

Carrying a 23 every day at work, I think a comped KKM would help tremendously.

Great idea. Hope you get one and report. I think a .40 would really benefit from the recoil reduction.

Would a comp slow slide speed and improve reliability?

No one thing can guarantee accuracy. Instead, dozens of things all have to add up every time you shoot. You can master the fundamentals of marksmanship, find the load that your pistol shoots best, find the sights that you shoot best, upgrade (maybe) to a match barrel, etc., but that stuff only gets you so far. From there, you have to find all of the little things that matter and start stacking them up, too. This can be stuff like learning whether your pistol shoots better clean or dirty, learning which shots you're likely to throw (for me it's the 6th and 7th shots in a 10-shot string), identifying the light conditions that are most conducive to shooting your best groups, how having a fresh RSA can affect groups, etc.

At some point you drop down the rabbit hole, which is fine IF you realize that you've done it. But if you don't, then you can end up taking unrealistic gear, expectations, practices, etc., into places where they don't belong.

I'm guessing that the group in your post is 4-5" at 50 yards. That's very good shooting, and a very good group for a compact, polymer-framed service-grade handgun, especially if you get groups like that consistently. To improve on it, I'd start by testing ammo, especially handloads.

But before I went too far in that direction, I'd ask myself how much good it would do in the long run to continue chasing 3" groups at 50 yards, and what more worthwhile things I might be giving up to achieve them.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    That looks like a good group, and what I would expect. I shot this group at 50 in the last month with a G4 19, RMR and Gold Dot 124+ P. Out of curiosity is you zero dead on at 25 yards?
    That's good shooting as well, and looks very similar to what I was doing. I actually did zero at 50 yards. I have the sequence of pics showing the groups as I adjusted. (I always take pics through the scope so I know which impacts are from which group) All of my first 3 groups were perfectly horizontal, which were aimed at the chest x, but my confirmation zero (in the middle pic) was high? I'm wondering if I was just aiming incorrectly at the head or if something adjusted the dot up when I made a windage adjustment. Either way, since then, I've had no issues shooting IPSC steel out to 150 yards so I've never really messed with it. I haven't shot much paper lately.

Are you using a 3.25 MOA dot or 6.5 MOA dot? I was using the 6 but switched to a 3 because my buddy really wanted it and I found I was just as fast with a 3.25 MOA

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    But before I went too far in that direction, I'd ask myself how much good it would do in the long run to continue chasing 3" groups at 50 yards, and what more worthwhile things I might be giving up to achieve them.

Okie John
    You know, that's an excellent point. I'm shooting head shots on a smaller than 1:1 scale target consistently. I should work on much more important things from the RMR at the point, especially speed when presenting. Thanks Okie.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 07-07-2016 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Great idea. Hope you get one and report. I think a .40 would really benefit from the recoil reduction.

Would a comp slow slide speed and improve reliability?
    Reliability of the pistol or the RMR? I thought I read elsewhere that the G40 MOS was busting up RMRs. .40 isn't 10mm, but it isn't 9mm either.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

That's good shooting as well, and looks very similar to what I was doing. I actually did zero at 50 yards. I have the sequence of pics showing the groups as I adjusted. (I always take pics through the scope so I know which impacts are from which group) All of my first 3 groups were perfectly horizontal, which were aimed at the chest x, but my confirmation zero (in the middle pic) was high? I'm wondering if I was just aiming incorrectly at the head or if something adjusted the dot up when I made a windage adjustment. Either way, since then, I've had no issues shooting IPSC steel out to 150 yards so I've never really messed with it. I haven't shot much paper lately.

Are you using a 3.25 MOA dot or 6.5 MOA dot? I was using the 6 but switched to a 3 because my buddy really wanted it and I found I was just as fast with a 3.25 MOA

You know, that's an excellent point. I'm shooting head shots on a smaller than 1:1 scale target consistently. I should work on much more important things from the RMR at the point, especially speed when presenting. Thanks Okie.
    I have the smaller size dot, which I got based on Gary's recommendation. Anytime I want a larger size dot, I can increase intensity, blooming it slightly, and increasing its effective size.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Reliability of the pistol or the RMR? I thought I read elsewhere that the G40 MOS was busting up RMRs. .40 isn't 10mm, but it isn't 9mm either.
    Reliability of the pistol. I have heard Chuck mention excessive slide speed being an issue on the Glock 40 models, and wondered about the effect of the comp on slide speed, and thus reliability. Might be an iron sight pistol for me.

Well, I guess it is time to see what the buzz is all about...

Name:  DSC_0222_zpsyz2mkevd.jpg
Views: 10999
Size:  38.7 KB
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Well, I guess it is time to see what the buzz is all about...

Name:  DSC_0222_zpsyz2mkevd.jpg
Views: 10999
Size:  38.7 KB
    If you run out of ammo send it to me and I'll help sort it out [emoji3]
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

User Tag List