Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ND at the range

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    Empty Chamber Safety Flags Rifle Pistol Range

Bought 2 packs, because I frequently take 6+ firearms when I do an intro/demo for newbies. I'll put 6 in the big gun case, at least 2 in my big range bag, and one in my small range bag, an one in each of my rifle cases. NO excuse to not use them then.
    I hope that your son doesn't want to quit shooting because of this. Try to get him back on the range as soon as possible. Kids can overthink things and think they have done something horribly wrong.

I have some of the chamber flags like posted. They don't fit my rim fire rifles very well. I have been using zip ties as a chamber flag.

Thanks for posting this so we all can be reminded about how easy it is to mess up.

I don't think getting him back out there will be a problem.
    We will, however, be reviewing thing in greater detail from now on. I'm seriously considering writing up a Checklist to keep in the bags.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

I don't think getting him back out there will be a problem.
    We will, however, be reviewing thing in greater detail from now on. I'm seriously considering writing up a Checklist to keep in the bags.
    My .02

Like your son, I had a ND (trying to slowly lower hammer on a live rd) with a lever action. Gun was pointed in a safe direction, luckily no one hurt, but shook me up and still does.

Many years later I had the opportunity to sell one of my lever actions. A co worker wanted to buy for his son. I would not sell it to him and explained why. This is my personal decision/opinion but I don't feel a lever action is the best gun for teaching or use by anyone other than an adult, and even then not the best option for an me personally.

Glad everyone's safe and thanks for posting Huf. I'll be following this thread to learn how I can improve my safety with a lever action.
    Last edited by Cheap Shot; 03-26-2016 at 11:05 AM.

Site Supporter

ND at the range

This thread was difficult for me to read.

In 2008, a support unit in my battalion lost a soldier to a very similar ND. A squad was cleaning weapons after returning from checkpoint duty, when a soldier noticed a Mossberg 500 lying on a table was off safe. In attempting to apply the safety, he discharged the weapon into a 34-y/o PFC who happened to be in the wrong place, with devastating results. Like most accidents, there were multiple failures leading up to it, but the final mistake was by a young man who thought he was doing the right thing by applying the safety...yet was insufficiently familiar with shotgun manipulation to apply it without losing track of where his other fingers were going, and he lacked the overall awareness and judgement to recognize that Rules 1, 2, and 3 should have taken priority.

RIP Jennifer Cole.

I now have two young boys who are nearly old enough for their first range trip. This is a good reminder for me to take nothing for granted. They can recite the four rules all day, but aren't experienced enough to always make good decisions in context.
    Last edited by Dave J; 03-26-2016 at 01:59 PM.

While I imagine you'll be having unloaded guns before going down range now, would a lever action with the action open and the lever down be more safe?

I want to give all of you my heartfelt thanks. I appreciate the clear, thoughtful discussion and commentary, without judgement. If nothing else it's one of the things I value most about P-F. I've commented about this incident in a couple other places and the responses were less... constructive.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

I want to give all of you my heartfelt thanks. I appreciate the clear, thoughtful discussion and commentary, without judgement. If nothing else it's one of the things I value most about P-F. I've commented about this incident in a couple other places and the responses were less... constructive.
    I'm glad you're both ok, thank you for posting. As others have stated, it's a reminder for all of us.

I'm new to P-F....I quickly noticed the responses here are constructive and not just keyboard commandos running off at the mouth, like other forums. Definitely a nice change of pace for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JV_ View Post
    At one range I used to frequent, people would go downrange while you're still shooting!!
    On the plus side, other people going downrange before you're done shooting is a lot more pleasant than when people start firing before you make it back to the firing line.

Thanks all who made this thread. These serious events well told can make your stomach hit the ground thinking about them, keeps the complacency at bay.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Shooting this winter, I have lost track of how many people I have caught handling weapons behind me, when I am down range in our own berm. The normal excuses apply -- it isn't loaded, it is in a holster, the action is locked back....... I have given up being subtle, and just walk up to the person, tell them what they are doing is wrong, and basically tell them to get out of our bay.
    About three weeks ago I was muzzled in the parking lot when coming out of my local range. I don't know why the pistol was out (I'm thinking one guy may have been selling the handgun to the other, but I honestly don't care) but suddenly I was channeling my old Drill Sergeant.

I've been thinking about changing ranges since this incident, as it really damaged my calm. I go to the range on the weekend to enjoy my hobby, not to get royally pissed off. And I really should no longer be surprised at the reaction of these guys...they just pointed a gun at me in the middle of a public parking lot (and the range isn't the only business there), yet I'm the jerk? I'm getting angry again just writing about it...

And thanks to the OP for starting the thread...I have a boy who I plan to start taking to the range in the next year or so. I used to belong to a range that is not as convenient to my home, but after the recent incident in the parking lot I reflected on the fact that my older range had a stronger safety culture, and I'll feel more comfortable introducing my son to shooting there. When I introduce my son to shooting, safety is my number one consideration, and I appreciate you sharing your experience so we could all learn from it. Thankfully no one was hurt.
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 04-04-2016 at 08:57 PM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

User Tag List