Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Week 157: Dot Torture

My first contribution to this part of the forum... Here goes.

Try #1:

S&W 640PRO. Detroit Holsters - 8 Mile holster
    3 yards
    45/50
    Fail
    I noticed that this drill is harder than it looks. Excellent though, I appreciated the immediate feedback for bad trigger presses. My five misses were spread out over the Draw fire 1, SHO, Draw fire 1 and fire 1, WHO and draw fire 2 and fire 2.

I then ran it again for try #2:

Glock 19 Gen4 w/Trijicon HDs. Detroit Holsters - Woodward holster
    3 yards
    49/50
    Fail
    I noticed the laughing behind me after I started cursing at the top of my lungs when I missed the one SHO shot.

Excellent drill. Mad at myself for not trying it sooner.

Gonna try this one this weekend. Never tried it before and I'm quite sure I'll post the worst score in the thread but it'll help me grow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Worst scores/bad scores are not very important. Getting 'on the mat' so to speak, by doing the drill is way, way, way more important.

Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Tried this yesterday.

Gun and holster used: S&W M&P 9mm JMCK AWIB
    Distance: 5 yrds
    Total score: 50/50
    Pass or fail: Pass
    Anything you noticed: This was my second time shooting Dot Torture, first time at 5 yrds. I may go out to 7 yrds this weekend and give that a try.

IMG_0248 by John, on Flickr

Completed on April 15, 2016
    Used a Glock 22 with 9 mm conversion
    Distance was 3 yards
    Score 50/50, additional holes on target were from a previous drill.
    Pass

40/50
    7 yds

Hk Usp 9mm lem (new 125 tritium front, 125 Dawson competition rear) from a Ccc shaggy.

Shooting this drill for the first time with a new front sight and was testing its Poi. Pretty happy with it. Less happy with my shooting.. DT for me is the sort of drill for which the scores are directly related to mood/stress level etc so suffice to say I didn't have high expectations when I ran it that day. Also shooting it with the USP instead of the USP Expert is definitely more challenging (most noticeable on SHO and WHO); I'd estimate my scores are 2-4 hits different.

I shot it this morning using my 19 at 3yds. If it touched the line I didn't count it. I just made my own target because I don't have a printer. I used a 2" circle and traced around it with sharpie. Hopefully next time I can use the real one. 45/50 was better than I expected. I went very slow. I'm gonna push it out to 5 yds next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

I think you are being a little too critical of yourself by not counting the shots that touch the line. According to the rules of Dot Torture, any bullet that clearly touches the scoring line of the intended target circle is counted as a hit (see post #16 of this thread).

Even though you are not using an "official" target, if your dots are a measured 2" diameter I see no reason why you should not count the hits that touch a line.

Taking this into consideration, it looks to me like you scored a 49/50.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jdesro View Post
    I think you are being a little too critical of yourself by not counting the shots that touch the line. According to the rules of Dot Torture, any bullet that clearly touches the scoring line of the intended target circle is counted as a hit (see post #16 of this thread).

Even though you are not using an "official" target, if your dots are a measured 2" diameter I see no reason why you should not count the hits that touch a line.

Taking this into consideration, it looks to me like you scored a 49/50.
    That's how I'd score it. Nicely done!

Site Supporter
    Shot this two more times today.

First up, I decided to see how well I can really do with it, so I got out my old Ruger MKII and some CCI Mini Mags. No holster, and only one magazine, so I started each "draw" from a compressed ready, and on the reload between 9 & 10, pulled the magazine and re-inserted it.

Still at 3 yards, my best score ever at 47/50 - failed. Again. But better is better, and practice is good.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  66.0 KB

Then, it was time for my older 3913. This gun owns the worst, most embarrassing iteration of the DT, and it was time for it to redeem itself - or for me to redeem myself. Whatever.

S&W 3913, custom horsehide OWB holster, from concealment (untucked shirt)
    3 yards
    46/50
    Fail
    This gun now owns both my best and worst center fire DT score: improved over the Sig by 1 point.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  67.4 KB

What I noticed: I actually noticed significant things today: every time I dropped a shot, I knew it as I completed the trigger press, before the shot actually fired, before the recoil started. There was no question - each time I said "oops," there was a dropped shot. No mysteries, no questions.

I should really start a training journal. Maybe that's too pretensious for me, though.
    Last edited by Duelist; 04-16-2016 at 10:13 PM.

User Tag List