Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 17 vs 19 -- MOS

Craig, good info on the Ameriglo BUIS.

Earlier in May, I shot one 50 yard group with my 19/RMR and Gold Dot 124+P that was pretty small. That was the only group I shot then and when I showed it to a friend at Glock, he asked if I could repeat that on a clean target that would look pretty, and he needed it by the end of May. Today, I realized May was almost over, and I needed to go try it. The clean target was the easy part, but one group on demand was obviously the hard part. To make matters worse, I could only find five rounds of Gold Dot here at our cabin, and town and more Gold Dot is 99 miles by plane away.

This afternoon, I set it up. Glock 19/RMR 06, Gold Dot 124+P, shot from prone. The first shot felt a bit sloppy, but the next four felt good. Here are the results, which obviously were decent, or they wouldn't be worth a photo.

The Gen 4 19/RMR/Gold Dot seems like a really good combination.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

That's some seriously good shooting, never mind on demand with only 5 rounds to use with the closest resupply 99 miles away by plane. You can't make that crap up! haha. Match pressure, what is this match pressure you speak of?

If one didnt want to CCW an RMR'd Glock, would it be worth going with a G17 comped vs a G19 comped, would the perceived less recoil of a G17 trump the decreased dot mov't of the shorter slide G19?

I too am exploring getting a CCW Glock with a RDS. I have to wear specialized contacts for my eyes and it won't let my vision accommodate to see my front sight anymore. So I got a Glock 17 MOS and a Vortex Venom. I got the Venom on Amazon Prime for $229 shipped. The difference between the Vortex Razor and Viper: The Viper sits lower, but has a 6 MOA dot and is wider/less streamline. The Razor does not have external exposed screws on the side and its controls are on top. However it is slightly bigger/taller and has an automatic shutoff for the dot at 6 hours (the Venom shuts off after 14 hours and has a 30,000 hour battery life at the lowest brightness setting). I considered the RMR because it has a longer history of durability and ruggedness. However the the window was kinda small. The window on the Venom is comparable to the Deltapoint. So far after 1000 rounds it works great. The dot is consistent, it holds zero and I've purposely dropped it on the hood on the hard ground several times without anything happening. So far my shooting has improved a lot with it. The only downside is my draw to first shot is slower since I'm learning to find the dot automatically. As far as BUIS, I am using the Ameriglo GL-329 suppressor sights. The front sight is 0.305 inches high. When the dot is at the center of the window, the front sight peeks up above the bottom of the window. However you cannot line up the the front and rear sights because the Venom bottom edge of the window lines up exactly to the front and rear sights. I am still debating whether to get the taller Dawson sight set or not.

Two possibilities for a slower red dot draw:

1) you are hunting for the dot

2) you are waiting for the dot to stabilize before pressing the trigger

If the issue is #1, then some combination of dry fire practice and/or BUIS will fix that. If the issue is #2, it may be you need to press the trigger as soon as the dot touches your target, rather than trying to stabilize the dot. Robbie Leatham pointed out #2 to me, and it immediately shaved .3 off my draw, bringing it back to iron sight times.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

If the issue is #1, then some combination of dry fire practice and/or BUIS will fix that. If the issue is #2, it may be you need to press the trigger as soon as the dot touches your target, rather than trying to stabilize the dot. Robbie Leatham pointed out #2 to me, and it immediately shaved .3 off my draw, bringing it back to iron sight times.
    I think it is #1: hunting for the dot. As soon as I see the dot, I 'jerk' the trigger and it hits. I just need to practice my press out more. I am also looking to shave off about 0.3 sec too to get to my old draw time. But man oh man, this RDS on the handgun thing is like getting glasses for the first time. I am now getting off the plateau I was stuck on before and getting better.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

I've seen from loaner guns that dot isn't going to be as still at speed as the irons APPEAR to be. Just pressing when it hits the A zone seems to get hits fast.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I've seen from loaner guns that dot isn't going to be as still at speed as the irons APPEAR to be. Just pressing when it hits the A zone seems to get hits fast.
    I think understanding the wobble zone as it compares to irons is important. I need to hit the range and really focus on finding the outer limits of the RDS wobble zone at various distances and still get my hits.

The dot definitely magnifies movement, which has helped my trigger pull tremendously in dry fire. Every little imperfection is amplified, and I think the trigger manipulation diagnosing capabilities of a RDS on a pistol is undervalued. Calling shots is much easier because the dot makes it pretty much obvious what was going on when the shot broke.

Paul, you may look at the Dawson MOS sights if you want/need something a bit taller. I'll send you the set I have if you want to try them.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    I think understanding the wobble zone as it compares to irons is important. I need to hit the range and really focus on finding the outer limits of the RDS wobble zone at various distances and still get my hits.

The dot definitely magnifies movement, which has helped my trigger pull tremendously in dry fire. Every little imperfection is amplified, and I think the trigger manipulation diagnosing capabilities of a RDS on a pistol is undervalued. Calling shots is much easier because the dot makes it pretty much obvious what was going on when the shot broke.

Paul, you may look at the Dawson MOS sights if you want/need something a bit taller. I'll send you the set I have if you want to try them.
    Thanks for the offer! PM sent.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    Thanks for the offer! PM sent.
    Replied. Glad to help.

User Tag List